Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) by…

Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) (original 1989; edition 2006)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:gpangel
Title:Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries)
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2006), Hardcover, 326 pages
Collections:mystery, Your library
Tags:historical mystery, series

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (1989)

English (63)  French (1)  All languages (64)
I picked up the first book of the series after being amused by the Miss Fischer Mysteries on my local PBS station but the book was not quite as charming as the TV series. It dragged for a while and had too many competing plots lines and Phryne was a bit too much for me. I am inclined to agree with another reviewer that she is a bit overdone; detective, race car driver, pilot, etc. It was light and breezy enough to not have her character be annoying like Maise Dobbs but I won't be seeking out the rest of them but will stick with the visually interesting froth of the TV series.
  amyem58 | Apr 20, 2015 |
Kindle had this first in the series for 99¢ so it was easy to try it out. Now I can't wait to read the next one in the series. Phryne Fisher is a fun woman - amateur detective, air pilot, racing car driver, smoker, drinker, not above some good gratuitous sex, etc etc etc. Plus, she's filthy rich with a poor little rich girl's view of the world that says all women should be given the same opportunities she has, so let's make it happen. In this first one she's off to Australia to find out why a young Englishwoman seems to be very ill with no one to figure out why. Great characters, many of whom I'm betting will become regulars in future adventures. Reminds me a lot of the Maisie Dobbs series. ( )
  tututhefirst | Feb 6, 2015 |
The writing is a bit choppy, but the characters and the Australian dialects are delightful. Nicely translated to TVER, with a few character changes.
  LibraryGirl11 | Jan 25, 2015 |
First in series. Also seen on PBS. ( )
  bogopea | Jan 17, 2015 |
This series is fun to read and really not much different than the series from TV. Very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the next one. Listened on audio. ( )
  csobolak | Jan 16, 2015 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:40 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

110 wanted2 pay12 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,889,525 books! | Top bar: Always visible