Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) by…

Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) (original 1989; edition 2006)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:gpangel
Title:Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries)
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2006), Hardcover, 326 pages
Collections:mystery, Your library
Tags:historical mystery, series

Cocaine Blues: A Phryne Fisher Mystery (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) by Kerry Greenwood (1989)

Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (aulsmith)
    Queen Of Hearts by Rhys Bowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Royal Spyness mysteries are set in England in the 1930s; the Phryne Fisher mysteries take place in Australia in the 1920s. Both cozy historical mystery series feature smart, independent, and unconventional heroines, and strong evocations of time and place.… (more)

English (88)  French (1)  English (89)
I became interested in the Kerry Greenwood series after watching the Miss Fisher Mysteries on Neflix. The book was fantastic. Somewhat different than the tv series but excellent in its own unique way. I am planning on reading the rest of the series (20 books I think). ( )
  nhalliwell | Nov 13, 2016 |
I wanted to like it, and there is a strong sense of the original Nancy Drews (tell me more about the innumerable clothing changes, please!) but I think I'll try the TV series instead, where I can enjoy looking at the clothes.

library copy
  Kaethe | Oct 17, 2016 |
I haven't seen the TV series, so this was my introduction to Phryne Fisher. The beginning of the book, when Phryne decides to go to Australia, came off as rushed and mechanical: the real mystery couldn't start until she was in Melbourne, and so the story strains to get her there ASAP. I also wasn't all that keen on how the POV jumped around between so many characters. But once all the characters were in place and the story got going, I enjoyed it a lot more, and yes, the wandering POV did let me get to know the other characters better. It was a fun, quick read, and I'm willing to read more books in the series, but I'm not in a hurry to do so. ( )
  Silvernfire | Oct 13, 2016 |
Weirdly cheerful little romp, given that the subject matters involve illegal abortion rings, cocaine smuggling, and planned spousal murder in late 1920s Melbourne. Overly obsessive details on the clothing and architectural details in the first half of the book give way to rapid changes of scenery and ever more rapid changes in plot. Phyrne Fisher is very much a Mary Sue of her genre, being wealthy, attractive, outside the morality of the times in a way that appeals to a more modern reader, very clever, and extraordinary lucky with respect to gaining the information and services she needs to solve a set of mysterious events.

Although this counts as a re-read, it is only so because I had completely failed to realise I'd read it before. Highly recommended to those who like a bit of fashion with their mystery, the main failing of this book is probably that the later ones are better, and so this one fell a bit flat.
  fred_mouse | Sep 6, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book -- light, entertaining, and full of interesting characters (none of them too deep, though). I especially enjoyed the thread about Phryne's affair with the Russian dancer. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | Aug 28, 2016 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.
Also titled:
Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates
Death by Misadventure

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,740,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible