Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) by…

Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) (original 1989; edition 2006)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:gpangel
Title:Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries)
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2006), Hardcover, 326 pages
Collections:mystery, Your library
Tags:historical mystery, series

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (1989)

Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (aulsmith)
    Queen Of Hearts by Rhys Bowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Royal Spyness mysteries are set in England in the 1930s; the Phryne Fisher mysteries take place in Australia in the 1920s. Both cozy historical mystery series feature smart, independent, and unconventional heroines, and strong evocations of time and place.… (more)

English (82)  French (1)  All languages (83)
This was a very different read for me. Quite an intriguing little book. I loved the way the character was introduced in the very first chapter. Being the first book I felt it did get bogged down a touch in the middle as you got to find out more about the character and the time and setting. However certainly picked up pace later on. A very different and enjoyable character. A good light read and I intend to read on to see how the series beds in. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 27, 2016 |
I picked this up because I love the TV version. The book is very different. The plot is similar thought not exactly the same. The characters are slightly different though nothing too shocking; although no Collins, Jack's character is not as fleshed out, there are a larger number of villains, and there is a female officer.

All-in-all it was a quick read and fairly well done. I will read another, see if the books will pull me in as the show did. ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
This was a fun read to escape from the harsh thrillers. I found it to be a very well-written novel with interesting characters. Although a light, short read, the subject matters were not too light but quite serious. Looking forward to reading the next Phryne Fisher novel. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |
I finally got around to reading the first installment in the Phryne Fisher series. I loved reading how some of my favorite characters met. The story was fun and interesting. It's probably the best in the series I've read so far. The ending was slightly predictable if you were paying careful attention, but the way Greenwood unfolds it, you still enjoy the resolution even if you know it's coming.
  jguidry | May 31, 2016 |
I too became aware of Phryne Fisher first from the Netflix series. Set in 1920's Australia, Phryne is played by the excellent Essie Davis. I am so excited to see that Essie is going to appear in Game of Thrones. Essie imbues Phryne with charm and sophistication, you can't help but love her. The Phryne in the book has the same endearing qualities. She is a young, wealthy unmarried women who doesn't mind hopping in bed with a fellow and makes no apologies for it. But she is not just a shallow caricature of a socialite. In the past she has been through tough times and it makes her sympathetic to the plights of others. She's also pretty good at solving mysteries. In this, the first book, there are two mysteries at hand. Phryne has been given the task of looking into a young married woman's ill health. There is also the matter of a butcher masking himself as an abortion doctor. This book was definitely how I like it, a little on the saucy side. Having already loved the Netflix series I was very pleased to find this book series. With 19 more books to go there is plenty more of Phryne to go around. ( )
  arielfl | Mar 11, 2016 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,455,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible