Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries…

Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries (Paperback)) (original 1989; edition 2007)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:katefrancis
Title:Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries (Paperback))
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2007), Edition: First Paperback Edition, Paperback, 175 pages

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (1989)

Recently added byktswjw, IamFluff, private library, MsStephie, Ghostly1, miezetatze, nvlad, laureyd

English (45)  French (1)  All languages (46)
A quick read in the 'cosy crime' vein. It's supposed to be set in the 20's, but the references were all over the place, a male character was called a 'sheik' twice,an early 20's expression, yet the St.Valentine's Day Massacre,1929, was mentioned. I found this irritating, as was the continual decriptions of Melbourne's streets in the 20's. A lot was made of Phryne's acomplishments, she can drive a car, fly an aeroplane and was ,'trained in street fighting by apache masters' in Paris, really? Having said that,it's a comfort read, undemanding and fun. ( )
  MsStephie | Jul 12, 2014 |
Some pleasant light reading. ( )
  miezetatze | Jun 28, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Apr 24, 2014 |
Fun mystery series set in the 20's and 30's in Australia featuring a "very modern Millie" type character in Miss Phryne Fischer. She is a very accomplished and courageous lady who gets very involved in the local crime. Definitely a cozy type mystery but with a much better understanding of the character development and the excellent description necessary to make it a cut above the average light mystery. Phryne has the usual endearing group of comrades to play off of and they are an intriguing bunch. The writing is very good and quite entertaining. ( )
  kmmt48 | Jan 16, 2014 |
The last thing I needed was another series but that is what I got with this book, I really enjoyed the character of Phryne, she’s tough and funny and a sexual being( when you get towards the end you will understand this statement) who was way ahead of her time. This is the best kind of cozy with historical fiction thrown in. This series is set 1920’s and Phryne is bored with being a London socialite and at a party is asked by a gentleman to find out what is going on with his daughter in Australia so off she goes and so begins our adventure into the seedy world of cocaine and murder.

Sometimes a person forgets how long cocaine has been prevalent and how long it has ruined lives, what I found interesting is this wasn’t the downtrodden these were rich people addicted to cocaine and getting it right from their friendly neighborhood pharmacist. Along with this there is a story about abortion too this book and its characters seemed far ahead of their time yet at the same time you could tell the sensibilities were right for the time period.

The mystery was almost secondary to the fun cast of characters, although I did enjoy the mystery; I hope to see more of Dot, Sasha, and Cec & Bert.

I also plan on watching this episode of the TV show soon and see how it compares to the book.

I listened to this on audio narrated by, Stephanie Daniel and was totally swept up in her narration every accent was superb and everyone had their own voice, I am so glad she narrated the rest of this series. Then this morning I heard that Stephanie Daniel passed away last week and was very saddened since I had just discovered her wonderful talent but I will honor her memory by listening to the rest of this series and anything else she has narrated. RIP Miss Daniel thank you for sharing your beautiful voice the world.

If you are a fan of cozies or the 1920’s give this one a try.

4 Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Jan 8, 2014 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:40 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

110 wanted2 pay11 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,478,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible