Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries…

Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries (Paperback)) (original 1989; edition 2007)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:katefrancis
Title:Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher Mysteries (Paperback))
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2007), Edition: First Paperback Edition, Paperback, 175 pages

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood (1989)

Queen Of Hearts by Rhys Bowen (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: The Royal Spyness mysteries are set in England in the 1930s; the Phryne Fisher mysteries take place in Australia in the 1920s. Both cozy historical mystery series feature smart, independent, and unconventional heroines, and strong evocations of time and place.… (more)
    Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers (aulsmith)

English (78)  French (1)  All languages (79)
I too became aware of Phryne Fisher first from the Netflix series. Set in 1920's Australia, Phryne is played by the excellent Essie Davis. I am so excited to see that Essie is going to appear in Game of Thrones. Essie imbues Phryne with charm and sophistication, you can't help but love her. The Phryne in the book has the same endearing qualities. She is a young, wealthy unmarried women who doesn't mind hopping in bed with a fellow and makes no apologies for it. But she is not just a shallow caricature of a socialite. In the past she has been through tough times and it makes her sympathetic to the plights of others. She's also pretty good at solving mysteries. In this, the first book, there are two mysteries at hand. Phryne has been given the task of looking into a young married woman's ill health. There is also the matter of a butcher masking himself as an abortion doctor. This book was definitely how I like it, a little on the saucy side. Having already loved the Netflix series I was very pleased to find this book series. With 19 more books to go there is plenty more of Phryne to go around. ( )
  arielfl | Mar 11, 2016 |
Once an impoverished hellion, Phryne Fisher inherited a life of wealth and privilege when the Great War killed a number of her relatives. Now a titled young woman with money and free time to spare, Phryne turns her jaded eyes toward detective work. In this, her first book, she investigates a rapist abortonist and a cocaine smuggling ring.

Phryne is a good detective, but its through a combination of experimentation, courage, and persistance. She's not a detective in the line of Sherlock Holmes, perpetually the cleverest and strongest person in the room. She's actually a bit like Miss Marple crossed with James Bond: half her investigations are based on observing people's characters in genteel tea rooms, and for the other half she's in disguise, gun in hand, outmaneuvering ruthless thugs. She's always dressed in the height of fashion, and drives planes and automobiles with speed and aplomb. She has a wonderfully flippant way of speaking, and her internal narration has a tendency toward the cutting bon mot. She's a good deal of fun to read.

That said, as mysteries go these weren't very satisfying, and the writing itself is a bit slapdash. Greenwood is lax in terms of point-of-view (which jumps all over the place, sometimes even within a single paragraph) and isn't particularly good at action. I might read more of these novels, but I'm not enthralled by them. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Honorable Miss Phryne Fisher travelers back to Melbourne, Australia after years abroad. But she isn't there on a social visit. A couple has asked her to investigate why their daughter gets terrible ill now and then. Is her husband trying to poison her?

It always a bit tricky reading a book after watching a tv series based on it, and vice versa. But I, despite all the difference between the book and the tv-series still enjoyed the book immensely. But I must admit that I miss the sexual tension between Phryne Fisher and Jack Robinson that exist in the tv-series and alas is absent in the book. But despite that, the story was great and I love to read about Australia in the 1920s.

Phryne Fisher is such a wonderful character, adventurous and glamorous. Now I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series!

MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
This was a fun read to escape from the harsh thrillers. I found it to be a very well-written novel with interesting characters. Although a light, short read, the subject matters were not too light but quite serious. Looking forward to reading the next Phryne Fisher novel. ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
2.5**

Phryne Fisher was born in poverty, but is now a wealthy heiress. After she quickly and discretely solves a theft of diamonds at a party, she’s asked by another guest if she might be willing to try to find out what is ailing his daughter. Seems every time Lydia goes to her husband’s home in Australia she takes ill, but as soon as she returns to England she quickly recovers. Bored with the social life in and around her father’s country estate, and equally bored with the “charitable ladies” championing various causes in London, Phryne accepts the assignment and sets sail for Australia.

Set in 1920s Australia, this is a quick cozy mystery introducing a very different amateur sleuth. Phryne is wealthy, beautiful, always fashionably dressed, a connoisseur of good cocktails, and an enthusiastic bed partner. She’s also intelligent, resourceful, quick-thinking, and apparently fearless.

So what’s not to like? The plot is thin and very slow, and I didn’t particularly like Phryne at the outset. Greenwood could have spent a little more time on the characters and how they are connected; I especially wanted more info on Dr MacMillan. She could also have spent a little less time describing Phryne’s undergarments (or lack thereof). And a number of clues / issues were just ignored – neither explained nor resolved.

The action finally picked up in the second half of the book and by the end I was interested in Phryne and how she would solve the case. I also liked several of her associates – Dr MacMillan, Dot (her maid), Bert and Cec (cab drivers) – and would hope that they would make continued appearances in the rest of the series. I’m sure I’ll try at least one more in the series, and who knows, I may find Phryne as addicting as cocaine.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother and father
The glass in the French window shattered.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159058385X, Paperback)

This is where it all started! The first classic Phryne Fisher mystery, featuring our delectable heroine, cocaine, communism and adventure. Phryne leaves the tedium of English high society for Melbourne, Australia, and never looks back.

The London season is in full fling at the end of the 1920s, but the Honorable Phryne Fisher--she of the green-grey eyes, diamant garters and outfits that should not be sprung suddenly on those of nervous dispositions--is rapidly tiring of the tedium of arranging flowers, making polite conversations with retired colonels, and dancing with weak-chinned men. Instead, Phryne decides it might be rather amusing to try her hand at being a lady detective in Melbourne, Australia.

Almost immediately from the time she books into the Windsor Hotel, Phryne is embroiled in mystery: poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling rings, corrupt cops and communism--not to mention erotic encounters with the beautiful Russian dancer, Sasha de Lisse--until her adventure reaches its steamy end in the Turkish baths of Little Lonsdale Street.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:35 -0400)

Phyrne Fisher heads for Melbourne, Australia, where she encounters a mystery involving poisoned wives, cocaine smuggling, corrupt cops, and communism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible