Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High (1990)

by Kerry Greenwood

Series: Phryne Fisher Mysteries (2)

2.5 stars ( )
  natcontrary | May 21, 2018 |
So. Much. Fun! ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Fun, light, and campy, aside from the threatened pedophilia. The rescue story stretches credibility, but not so much that I can't ignore the problems. ( )
  duchessjlh | Mar 26, 2018 |
The tv show came first for me - so good!! Have been enjoying the books. Looks like the show tried very hard to stay true. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
2006, Bolinda Publishing, Read by Stephanie Daniel

Publisher’s Summary: adapted from Audible.com
In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s’ most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease – and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.

My Review:
Danger, excitement and love – such is the stuff of the days (and nights) of the glamorous Phryne Fisher. I am thoroughly enjoying getting to know the cast: Dot, Bert, and Cec among them. And I’m taken with the 1920s era: the music, the glamour, and the fashion. Of course it is the tragic loss of so many young men to WWI that has paved the way for women to take on roles they would otherwise not have had the opportunity to pursue. The female detective role has been done by Jacqueline Winspear, Susan Elia MacNeal, and Charless Todd – but Kerry Greenwood adds thrill-seeker to the mix with ace pilots. At one point in Flying Too High, Phryne is walking the wings of a Tiger Moth plane in full flight! (apparently entirely possible)

Series so far (and this is only two of many) is light entertainment. The audiobooks are fewer than ten hours in length, and Stephanie Daniel is sublime! ( )
  lit_chick | Feb 4, 2018 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flying too high with some girl in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you
'I get a kick out of you', Cole Porter
To David Lewis John Greagg
My own dear darling
Candida Alice Maldon was being a bad girl.

Phryne Fisher has her hands full in this, her second adventure. And just when we think she's merely a brilliant, daring, sexy woman, Phyrne demonstrates other skills, including flying an airplane and doing her own stunts!Phryne takes on a fresh case at the pleading of a hysterical woman who fears her hot-headed son is about to murder his equally hot-headed father. Phryne, bold as we love her to be, first upstages the son in his own airplane at his Sky-High Flying School, then promptly confronts him about his mother's alarm. To her dismay, however, the father is soon killed and the son taken off to jail. Then a young girl is kidnapped, and Phryne?who will never leave anyone in danger, let alone a child?goes off to the rescue. Engaging the help of Bert and Cec, the always cooperative Detective-Inspector Robinson, and her old flying chum Bunji Ross, Phryne comes up with a scheme too clever to be anyone else's, and in her typical fashion saves the day, with plenty of good food and hot tea all around. Meanwhile, Phryne moves into her new home at 221B, The Esplanade, firmly establishes Dot as her "Watson," and adds two more of our favorite characters, Mr. and Mrs. Butler, to the cast.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,082,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible