Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:katefrancis
Title:Flying Too High
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Fawcett (1992), Mass Market Paperback

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood (1990)

Phryne Fisher is back in Flying to High, the sequel to Cocaine Blues. In this book, she has to help a man accused of murdering his father, rescue a kidnapped child and of course, seduce some men.

I didn't find this book as good as the first one. I like Phryne Fisher, she's a great character, but the story in this book wasn't as captivating as it was in the first book. I found myself doing other things so even though the book wasn't that thick did it take me a while to finish it. Also, all this seducing of men, I find it a little bit boring. Fine she likes sex, but come on, is this what's going to happen in every book? 1-2 cases in every book and some sex scenes, then it's going to be a bit repetitive.

But the biggest problem I had with the book was there was too darn little Inspector Jack Robinson. Yes I know, he's not the star of the book and I can't compare the book series with the TV-series (but I do it anyway). But he was hardly in this book and that made me not a happy camper.

3 stars
  MaraBlaise | Feb 9, 2016 |
Book Description:
The second in the classic Phryne Fisher series from Kerry Greenwood, featuring the irresistible heroine Phryne. Whether she's foiling kidnappers, seducing beautiful young men or simply deciding what to wear for dinner, Phryne handles everything with her inimitable panache and flair.

Danger, excitement and love--this is how the glamorous Phryne Fisher is determined to live her life in her second enticing adventure.

In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease--and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read! Fun and delightful! I would highly recommend this series. A great book to start off the New Year reads! ( )
  eadieburke | Jan 19, 2016 |
The second installment of the Phryne Fisher mystery series. A decent mystery coupled with a daring rescue (as a result of a second mystery) plus all the fun that is Phryne. Fun, entertaining, and enjoyable. As I'm reading this after having watched the first season and a bit of the TV show, it's hard not to draw comparisons though. (More Jack! Where's Hugh?) I will be reading more of these. ( )
  lycomayflower | Dec 31, 2015 |
This was good as an audiobook as it is quite short and easy to listen to. I enjoyed the light tone but like other reviewers sometimes found it an uncomfortable sit with the actual crimes being committed. My library has a lot of these as audiobooks and I will probably try another. ( )
  infjsarah | Nov 22, 2015 |
I liked this just as much as I liked the first one. Love the period details and the author interview at the end of the audiobook. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flying too high with some girl in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you
'I get a kick out of you', Cole Porter
To David Lewis John Greagg
My own dear darling
Candida Alice Maldon was being a bad girl.

"Danger, excitement and love - this is how the glamorous Phryne Fisher is determined to live her life in her second enticing adventure. Walking the wings of a Tiger Moth plane in full flight ought to be enough excitement for most people, but not Phryne Fisher, amateur detective, woman of mystery, as delectable as the finest chocolate and as sharp as razor blades. In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease - and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible