Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:katefrancis
Title:Flying Too High
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Fawcett (1992), Mass Market Paperback

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood (1990)

This book is the second in the Phryne Fisher Mystery series, and revolves around not one, but two mysteries. The book opens with Phryne meeting a new client – a nervous lady who is convinced that her son is going to murder his father and she wants Phryne to intervene to stop this. When the father does indeed turn up dead shortly afterwards, Bill the son is naturally the main suspect.

The second mystery is the kidnapping of a young girl, whose parents engage Phryne to retrieve their daughter and return her to safety.

Naturally Phyrne, along with her friends Bert and Cec, and trusty maid Dot not only investigates the crimes, but investigates them with panache and cunning, and all while wearing a beautiful wardrobe and seducing a couple of rather gorgeous men!

I think I probably enjoyed this book marginally more than the first one (I gave the first one 3.5 out of 5, I’d give this one 4), which bodes well for the rest of the series. It is an undemanding read, sprinkled with humour and with enough twists to keep the reader interested. As ever, Phryne is loveable, exasperating and stubborn. Fans of the TV series should note that Jack Robinson hardly appears in this book (and in any event, he is entirely different in the show, not to mention still firmly married to his wife) and the main police officer in the story is Detective Inspector Benton.

Another enjoyable instalment from a series that I look forward to continuing to read. ( )
  Ruth72 | Jun 6, 2017 |
Phryne Fisher is back in Flying to High, the sequel to Cocaine Blues. In this book, she has to help a man accused of murdering his father, rescue a kidnapped child and of course, seduce some men.

I didn't find this book as good as the first one. I like Phryne Fisher, she's a great character, but the story in this book wasn't as captivating as it was in the first book. I found myself doing other things so even though the book wasn't that thick did it take me a while to finish it. Also, all this seducing of men, I find it a little bit boring. Fine she likes sex, but come on, is this what's going to happen in every book? 1-2 cases in every book and some sex scenes, then it's going to be a bit repetitive.

But the biggest problem I had with the book was there was too darn little Inspector Jack Robinson. Yes I know, he's not the star of the book and I can't compare the book series with the TV-series (but I do it anyway). But he was hardly in this book and that made me not a happy camper. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Flying Too High is part of a fun mystery series by Australian author Kerry Greenwood, many may be familiar with them from the television series, “Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries. Set in and around Melbourne in the 1920’s, the main character is Phryne Fisher, a wealthy young woman who has set herself up as a private investigator. In this second book, she gets involved with a wealthy family where the son has been accused of killing his father. She also works on a child kidnapping case.

Phryne Fisher is a fun character, good looking, brave, loves flying and luxury, she is both clever and intuitive which helps her put the clues together and solve these mysteries. These are not complex whodunits but light, amusing stories featuring the irresistible Phryne and an assortment of interesting regular characters.

Whether solving a mystery or seducing a young man, Phryne Fisher does so with flare and style which makes these great books for light reading. Speaking of flare and style, I have to mention how much I like the covers of this series with their appearance of a 1920’s fashion illustration. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Feb 23, 2017 |
The follow up to Cocaine Blues, this one fills in a little bit more of the background and introduces readers to some more of the cast of characters who we will meet again and again. It does drag a bit in the middle with perhaps one too many seductions. The solution to the death was clever and Phryne's adventure was entertaining. ( )
  michdubb | Jun 25, 2016 |
Book Description:
The second in the classic Phryne Fisher series from Kerry Greenwood, featuring the irresistible heroine Phryne. Whether she's foiling kidnappers, seducing beautiful young men or simply deciding what to wear for dinner, Phryne handles everything with her inimitable panache and flair.

Danger, excitement and love--this is how the glamorous Phryne Fisher is determined to live her life in her second enticing adventure.

In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease--and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read! Fun and delightful! I would highly recommend this series. A great book to start off the New Year reads! ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flying too high with some girl in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you
'I get a kick out of you', Cole Porter
To David Lewis John Greagg
My own dear darling
Candida Alice Maldon was being a bad girl.

"Danger, excitement and love - this is how the glamorous Phryne Fisher is determined to live her life in her second enticing adventure. Walking the wings of a Tiger Moth plane in full flight ought to be enough excitement for most people, but not Phryne Fisher, amateur detective, woman of mystery, as delectable as the finest chocolate and as sharp as razor blades. In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease - and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,309,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible