Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:katefrancis
Title:Flying Too High
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Fawcett (1992), Mass Market Paperback

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood (1990)

Phryne Fisher is back in Flying to High, the sequel to Cocaine Blues. In this book, she has to help a man accused of murdering his father, rescue a kidnapped child and of course, seduce some men.

I didn't find this book as good as the first one. I like Phryne Fisher, she's a great character, but the story in this book wasn't as captivating as it was in the first book. I found myself doing other things so even though the book wasn't that thick did it take me a while to finish it. Also, all this seducing of men, I find it a little bit boring. Fine she likes sex, but come on, is this what's going to happen in every book? 1-2 cases in every book and some sex scenes, then it's going to be a bit repetitive.

But the biggest problem I had with the book was there was to darn little Inspector Jack Robinson. Yes I know, he's not the star of the book and I can't compare the book series with the TV-series (but I do it anyway). But he was hardly in this book and that made me not a happy camper.

3 stars

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 3, 2015 |
I listened to this book and the reader is very good. The book is short and a fun read. Phyrne Fisher is quite a character and one almost feels like you know her. I recommend this series. ( )
  csobolak | Jan 26, 2015 |
"She looked like a lewd Corinthian column. She certainly looked seductive, but Isola would have looked seductive in gunny sacks tied with old rope."

Fresh from her adventures in Cocaine Blues, Phryne Fisher is taking on more mysteries to be solved, as 1920s Melbourne's premier investigator. In this slim volume, she has to solve a murder and catch a kidnapper, while indulging her passion for flying and moving into a more permanent residence than the Windsor Hotel.

I found this plot a bit chaotic. While it all comes together neatly at the end, the kidnapping storyline starts somewhat abruptly and it's difficult to follow for a while. The other plotline, that of the murder, is more interesting and straightforward.

The favourite characters from the previous book are back - Phryne, Dot (who has a lot more space to blossom this time), Dr Macmillan, Bert & Cec - as well as numerous new characters, with a particular focus on the Strong Independent Woman. While I appreciate the historical significant of female lawyers who struggled to get cases in the 1920s, every now and again it does feel like Greenwood is on a bit of a campaign.

I'll definitely keep reading this series; this was a classic second book. Not quite as good as the first, but certainly not a deterrent. ( )
  readingwithtea | Dec 28, 2014 |
Well, I really want to like this series, but I just don't know if I'll continue with it. In my review of the first book of the series, I noted Phryne Fisher's quickness--that she's always a step ahead of the reader in terms of figuring out the mystery.

While this is appealing, it's also frustrating for the reader who wants to solve the mystery along with the detective. Phryne almost always knows more than we do, so there's a kind of a deus-ex-machina quality to the solution--in this case, to the mystery of how William McNaughton died.

There are also a couple of turns of phrase here that I found irritating; at one point, Phryne is creeping around "like a Red Indian looking for a scalp," and at another, she notes that "it's picaninny daylight." Such casual racism was, unfortunately, all too common in mysteries of the *actual* British Golden Age: witness the long debate about Dorothy Sayers' anti-Semitism. But the thing is, while Kerry Greenwood's series is set in the 1920s, this book was published in 1990. Granted, Greenwood is Australian, so these phrases don't pack the same wallop that they do for American readers. Nevertheless, since both are used purely as figurative language, one wonders why Greenwood didn't choose less fraught descriptions. If the intent is to make the books seem more "authentic" to the 1920s, she's succeeded, I guess, but in a way that makes me reluctant to read more.

Still, Phryne is an appealing detective figure, so I may give these another shot sometime....but I think I've read enough for the time being. ( )
  rvhatha | Dec 7, 2014 |
It might be obvious from the amount of Kerry Greenwood books on my list that I'm a bit of a fan, but there you have it. I just read this one again, as I hadn't picked it up for five or six years, and it is adorable.
Murder and kidnap drive the plot in this novel, but it's Phryne's style and wit that I keep coming back for. As always, set in Melbourne in the 1920s (1928, I believe) with plenty of kick-arse, can-do women characters, planes, daring rescues, a shag or two and a good cocktail. Or three. ( )
  jselliott | Dec 5, 2014 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flying too high with some girl in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you
'I get a kick out of you', Cole Porter
To David Lewis John Greagg
My own dear darling
Candida Alice Maldon was being a bad girl.

"Danger, excitement and love - this is how the glamorous Phryne Fisher is determined to live her life in her second enticing adventure. Walking the wings of a Tiger Moth plane in full flight ought to be enough excitement for most people, but not Phryne Fisher, amateur detective, woman of mystery, as delectable as the finest chocolate and as sharp as razor blades. In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease - and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.… (more)

35 wanted2 pay12 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,795,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible