Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Kerry Greenwood

346None31,426 (3.55)18
Member:katefrancis
Title:Flying Too High
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Fawcett (1992), Mass Market Paperback

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood (1990)

Not too long after Mrs. McNaugton engages Phryne to keep her son form killing his father, the father is found dead and Bill is the prime suspect. Then, a couple who just won the lottery contact Phryne to find their kidnapped daughter. As Phryne juggles men, moving out of the hotel and into her own place, she pursues justice. I like the breezy, shortness of these novels that capture a young woman of resources, energy, and a zest for life. ( )
  4leschats | Feb 5, 2014 |
This is hardly a cozy mystery, as there's a surprising, if not shocking scene of sex in the book. That dismissed, the story itself is divided into two uneven adventures, or mysteries, if you will. There's a murder, and a kidnapping. Whether the kidnapping was going to be solved by the police, had they been informed, is anyone's guess. It was straightforwardly solved by the daring, larger than life, avant-garde, secular, charming, accomplished, learned, sporting heroine Phryne Fisher. The best thing about this book is the way the murder is solved halfway through the book, yet the author reveals her hand only at the very end. No one complains because of the kidnapping. The heroine's talent for flight helps handily in the latter. Altogether 3/5 is an average score which means the story held some promise. This book provides some maybe much needed escapism to housewives and the likes of yours truly. However be warned that if you want to be served a detailed account of what 1928 Melbourne looks like, be prepared to be disappointed. The book is very to the point. So yeah. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jan 26, 2014 |
Very odd mixture of very light and airy situations (no pun intended) and extremely dark elements (pedophilia and rape) which are treated with the same nonchalance. This made me really uncomfortable, especially since the author dwells on the culprit's last wishes at the end in a very nauseating move. She also seems to think that rape and incest is something women can get over if they're coaxed 'out of their shells by the right man'.
I knew I was to expect deep themes (the first book did tackle the topic of abortion) but I'm not sure I adhere to the author's handling of them.
That being said, Phryne is a really well-fleshed character and very endearing most of the time which made the book feel very odd but not wholly unpleasant. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
Unlike the first book, which I did find a bit dragging and filled with fillers, the second book is a much nicer read. I don't mind descriptive readings, its rather enjoyable to see the early 20st century world from the eyes of a flapper lady detective - lol.

The book wasn't made into the live action serial, so it wasn't that deary to read and I did enjoy the multiple plots in the most un'spoiler'ly way. There's a double case in this book involving the death of a short-tempered wife-beater socialite and the kidnapping of a child named Candida because of her father's luck in a lottery. I remember the kid's name because I would never name a daughter for a yeast infection. Seriously, being a biomedical scientist made me find jokes in unusual place.

There's multiple point of views that a person should be aware of. Personally, I find it distracting but it does give a certain allure in the various characters of the book besides Miss Fisher.

But since I knew the character from the TV series, I find the book's miss fisher is somehow lacking. Yes, she's beautiful but her age is somehow left out from the story so its quite bland to see a female stereotypic character like this. Her promiscuity is very curiously unsettling. No, its not that graphic but it brought out the image of Bond and his never ending conquest to impregnate every girls in his movies. Some ways, I'm glad Essie Davis's character have some back stories, her character is older and less impulsive like the book character and Essie's more fun and like to crack sarcastic jokes all the time!

These differences in some way helped with both mediums and made them both enjoyable for a person who wished to explore more and experience these sort of things. Purist as always begs to differ but personally, you can't whine about micro-differences in every way just because you childishly expect things to be the same. Predictability is boring. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |

aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flying too high with some girl in the sky/Is my idea of nothing to do/But I get a kick out of you
"I Get a Kick Out of You" by Cole Porter
To David Lewis John Greagg
My own dear darling
Candida Alice Maldon was being a bad girl.

"Danger, excitement and love - this is how the glamorous Phryne Fisher is determined to live her life in her second enticing adventure. Walking the wings of a Tiger Moth plane in full flight ought to be enough excitement for most people, but not Phryne Fisher, amateur detective, woman of mystery, as delectable as the finest chocolate and as sharp as razor blades. In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease - and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.… (more)

35 wanted2 pay10 pay

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,491,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible