Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High (original 1990; edition 1992)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:katefrancis
Title:Flying Too High
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Fawcett (1992), Mass Market Paperback

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood (1990)

Well, I really want to like this series, but I just don't know if I'll continue with it. In my review of the first book of the series, I noted Phryne Fisher's quickness--that she's always a step ahead of the reader in terms of figuring out the mystery.

While this is appealing, it's also frustrating for the reader who wants to solve the mystery along with the detective. Phryne almost always knows more than we do, so there's a kind of a deus-ex-machina quality to the solution--in this case, to the mystery of how William McNaughton died.

There are also a couple of turns of phrase here that I found irritating; at one point, Phryne is creeping around "like a Red Indian looking for a scalp," and at another, she notes that "it's picaninny daylight." Such casual racism was, unfortunately, all too common in mysteries of the *actual* British Golden Age: witness the long debate about Dorothy Sayers' anti-Semitism. But the thing is, while Kerry Greenwood's series is set in the 1920s, this book was published in 1990. Granted, Greenwood is Australian, so these phrases don't pack the same wallop that they do for American readers. Nevertheless, since both are used purely as figurative language, one wonders why Greenwood didn't choose less fraught descriptions. If the intent is to make the books seem more "authentic" to the 1920s, she's succeeded, I guess, but in a way that makes me reluctant to read more.

Still, Phryne is an appealing detective figure, so I may give these another shot sometime....but I think I've read enough for the time being. ( )
  rvhatha | Dec 7, 2014 |
It might be obvious from the amount of Kerry Greenwood books on my list that I'm a bit of a fan, but there you have it. I just read this one again, as I hadn't picked it up for five or six years, and it is adorable.
Murder and kidnap drive the plot in this novel, but it's Phryne's style and wit that I keep coming back for. As always, set in Melbourne in the 1920s (1928, I believe) with plenty of kick-arse, can-do women characters, planes, daring rescues, a shag or two and a good cocktail. Or three. ( )
  jselliott | Dec 5, 2014 |
My blog post about this book is at this link ( )
  SuziQoregon | Oct 28, 2014 |
Book Phryne is > TV show Phryne, which takes some doing. I enjoyed #2 and will continue obsessively w /the series. In TV land, season 2 toned down Phryne's free spirited manner is troubling ways, but still love the stories. ( )
  nnschiller | Sep 18, 2014 |
Why do I give this silly nonsense four stars? Because it's so much fun. This is, as noted in the title, the second in the Phryne Fisher series: Ms. Fisher is quite an item -- a wealthy, charming, titled, clever and really daring detective in 1920's Australia. She is wears great clothes, attracts men like flies, and solves mysteries with ablomb. She herself is really endearing (a sort of beyond-feminist fantasy in early Chanel) and is surrounded by an endearing group of regular characters. This time round, she gets involved with a possibly murderous flier, and a kidnapping, but everything turns out well in the end. It is all, of course, pretty unbelievable, but who cares? ( )
  annbury | Aug 9, 2014 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flying too high with some girl in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you
'I get a kick out of you', Cole Porter
To David Lewis John Greagg
My own dear darling
Candida Alice Maldon was being a bad girl.

"Danger, excitement and love - this is how the glamorous Phryne Fisher is determined to live her life in her second enticing adventure. Walking the wings of a Tiger Moth plane in full flight ought to be enough excitement for most people, but not Phryne Fisher, amateur detective, woman of mystery, as delectable as the finest chocolate and as sharp as razor blades. In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease - and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.… (more)

35 wanted2 pay12 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,488,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible