Flying Too High : a Phryne Fisher Mystery by…

Flying Too High : a Phryne Fisher Mystery (original 1990; edition 2007)

by Kerry Greenwood

Title:Flying Too High : a Phryne Fisher Mystery
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:Poisoned Pen Press (2007), Paperback, 156 pages

Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood (1990)

This is a little darker in setup than the first in the series. There’s a dead body, a little girl has been kidnapped by a known child molester, and one of the people of interest was raped by her father. Not to worry. The unflappable Honourable Miss Fisher is on both cases. She’ll wrap everything up tidily and still have time to move into a new house, pose nude for a sculpture, and take not one, but two new lovers. (Not at once.) Includes some fun new characters as well as favorites from the first one, including Bert and Cec, her favorite communist drivers and assistants. ( )
  jholcomb | Sep 17, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Phryne Fisher series. The story takes place in the 1920s in Australia. Phryne is not the usual Australian woman, she flies, is a "vamp" and has a lot of money. (Not sure where it came from as I did not read the first book). There are several supporting characters which add to the story, Bert, Cec and Dot and assist Phryne in solving her cases. In this book Phyrne has to assist a man wrongfully charged of killing his father as well as save a kidnapped child. There were some dark elements in the story which were touched on and rather glossed over such as incest, pedophilia and rape, which was a little disconcerting. At one point Phryne says that this is something women can get over if they're coaxed 'out of their shells by the right man'. The last wishes of the captured kidnapper at the end of the story were rather disgusting and I did not like that ending. I probably will not read any more of this series as it does not appeal to me.
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
There's a continuity error in the timing of events, but otherwise this was a fun feminist mystery. ( )
  aulsmith | May 6, 2015 |
Phryne Fisher is back in Flying to High, the sequel to Cocaine Blues. In this book, she has to help a man accused of murdering his father, rescue a kidnapped child and of course, seduce some men.

I didn't find this book as good as the first one. I like Phryne Fisher, she's a great character, but the story in this book wasn't as captivating as it was in the first book. I found myself doing other things so even though the book wasn't that thick did it take me a while to finish it. Also, all this seducing of men, I find it a little bit boring. Fine she likes sex, but come on, is this what's going to happen in every book? 1-2 cases in every book and some sex scenes, then it's going to be a bit repetitive.

But the biggest problem I had with the book was there was to darn little Inspector Jack Robinson. Yes I know, he's not the star of the book and I can't compare the book series with the TV-series (but I do it anyway). But he was hardly in this book and that made me not a happy camper.

3 stars

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Feb 3, 2015 |
I listened to this book and the reader is very good. The book is short and a fun read. Phyrne Fisher is quite a character and one almost feels like you know her. I recommend this series. ( )
  csobolak | Jan 26, 2015 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flying too high with some girl in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you
'I get a kick out of you', Cole Porter
To David Lewis John Greagg
My own dear darling
Candida Alice Maldon was being a bad girl.

"Danger, excitement and love - this is how the glamorous Phryne Fisher is determined to live her life in her second enticing adventure. Walking the wings of a Tiger Moth plane in full flight ought to be enough excitement for most people, but not Phryne Fisher, amateur detective, woman of mystery, as delectable as the finest chocolate and as sharp as razor blades. In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease - and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,815,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible