Murder on the Ballarat Train by Kerry…

Murder on the Ballarat Train (1991)

by Kerry Greenwood

Member:bw42
Title:Murder on the Ballarat Train
Authors:Kerry Greenwood
Info:
Collections:Contained
Rating:***1/2

Murder on the Ballarat Train by Kerry Greenwood (1991)

Dee-lightful. It feels like Greenwood hits her stride in this novel (#3 in the series) so we are fully comfortable with the people she is crafting at this point.

We meet Jane for the first time, so Phryne has now built her menagerie (I believe this is it, as per the TV series so it'll be a - lovely! - surprise if someone else comes into the mix). We get a few more sexy bits than normal - they really do tone this down on TV, as to be expected - and we get two overlapping story lines (again, not surprisingly, as this is what Greenwood is wont to do).

Of course, I'll continue on. Why not? They're flip, fun jaunts. ( )
  khage | Jun 26, 2018 |
Murder on the Ballarat Train by Kerry Greenwood is the third book in her Honourable Phryne Fisher, lady detective. Set in 1920’s Australia, in this outing we find Phryne and her faithful maid, Dot, on the train travelling to visit some relatives when she wakens to the very strong smell of chloroform and discovers that the first class passengers have been drugged. After stopping the train, letting fresh air in to circulate and revive the passengers, it is discovered that one, an elderly lady is missing. She is later found dead back along the tracks.

Phryne brings the injured daughter of the dead woman home with her and promises to find out who killed her. To further complicate the situation, a young girl is found on the train who appears to have lost her memory. Phryne takes her in as well and eventually discovers that this young girl has the identity of the murderer tucked away in her memory.

Even though it was quite short I really enjoyed this particular book. Phryne is sophisticated, intelligent, independent and kind. Her taking in the orphan girl has added another character to the regular cast and shows a caring, nurturing side to the main character. As always fashion plays an important part in the story both in the descriptions of clothes worn and the surrounding decor. An entertaining addition to this series. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Jun 15, 2018 |
In comparison with Miss Fisher's tv series, this was disappointing. The story lacks details, suspense, and credibility, absences that can be overlooked on the small screen where Essie Davis captures the attention. In this story Phryne appears to be more of a Lady Bountiful than a detective, adopting two girls without a second thought. Greenwood adds a serious aspect to her novels, but in this case the evil quality of the crimes was in conflict with the "cosy" genre. It's tricky, if not impossible, to pull off both at the same time. ( )
  VivienneR | May 19, 2018 |
Another fun entry in this series. Everything here is very much tongue in cheek, and if you go in with that attitude, these are quite enjoyable. A light way to pass a train journey, just as referenced. ( )
  duchessjlh | May 6, 2018 |
2010, Bolinda Publishing, Read by Stephanie Daniel

Publisher’s Summary: adapted from Audible.com
Phryne is off to Ballarat for a week of fabulousness, but the sedate journey by train turns out to be far from the restful trip she was planning. What was planned as a restful country sojourn turns into the stuff of nightmares: a young girl who can't remember anything, rumours of vile white slavery, and the body of an old woman missing her emerald rings. And Phryne is at the centre, working through the clues to arrive at the incredible truth before another murder is committed. Fortunately, Phryne can still find a little time for a discreet dalliance and the delicious diversion of that rowing team of young men.

My Review:
Phryne is a woman who knows how to live: independently wealthy, self-employed, philanthropic, fabulously fashionable – and seemingly always within reach of at least one beautiful young male. I continue to love the stalwart Bert and Cec as secondary characters: they are always available when Phryne needs them to take up an investigation, and they always get their man, so to speak – of course, I suppose the latter could also be said about our Phryne.

Thoroughly enjoying this series for its easy listening and quality of storytelling. It is entertaining and playful, and yet Greenwood does not shy away from including serious social issues in her writing – I like that. ( )
  lit_chick | Mar 3, 2018 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Stephen D'Arcy

"Car Jaume"
Fortunately, the Honourable Phryne Fisher was a light sleeper.

When the 1920's most glamorous lady detective arranges to go to Ballarat for the week, she opts for the safety of the train. The last thing she expects is to have to use her trusty Beretta .32 to save the passengers' lives.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible