Bargaining for Advantage : Negotiation…

Bargaining for Advantage : Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People (1999)

by G. Richard Shell

In Bargaining for Advantage author G. Richard Shell provides a thorough review of the negotiation process, from preparation to closing, but for me personally the singularly best piece of advice was this bit of wisdom: "Those who expect more get more." I come from a world of tempered expectations and playing nice, which as Shell points out is a relativity weak disposition to negotiate from. We all tend to get exactly what we expect from life and research further confirms this is true. What someone sees as entitlement, and all the negativity associated with that word, another sees it as self-esteem and of being assertive. Food for thought.

In general, there's so much misinformation and anxiety associated with the act of negotiation that many don't take full advantage of their options or they avoid bargaining altogether. According to the author, successful negotiation is 90% preparation. It's like taking a test. If you don't study, then you're just flying blind. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Dec 26, 2013 |
My graduate school instructor who taught negotiation recently recommended this book to me. I found it to be a much better book than Getting to Yes, another classic in the field which seems to be better known. Shell writes extremely well, provides many concrete examples, lays out a detailed and methodical strategy for improving your negotiation skills, and provides a nifty assessment in the appendix to determine your own unique style and preferences. This is a very practical book, of course, but it is also interesting and a pleasure to read. I heartily endorse my professor's recommendation and suggest that others will benefit from this book. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jan 26, 2011 |
a very structured look at negotiation as an art and personal style. ( )
  eugenios | Sep 1, 2009 |
Richard Shell: Thomas Gerrity Professor; Professor of Legal Studies and Business Ethics and Management at Wharton
Pros: good examples; practical advice; solid evidence and academic style reasoning
Cons: mostly old advice; significant overlapping with literature on psychology of influence; can be slow and repetitive at places ( )
  sphinx | Mar 30, 2008 |
But wait a second: people aren't reasonable. Why do I have this book?
  wfzimmerman | May 9, 2007 |

As director of the renowned Wharton Executive Negotiation Workshop, Professor G. Richard Shell has taught thousands of business leaders, administrators, and other professionals how to survive and thrive in the sometimes rough-and-tumble world of negotiation. His systematic, step-by-step approach comes to life in this book, which is available in over ten foreign editions and combines lively storytelling, proven tactics, and reliable insights gleaned from the latest negotiation research.

This updated edition includes:

A brand-new "Negotiation I.Q." test designed by Shell and used by executives at the Wharton workshop that reveals each reader's unique strengths and weaknesses as a negotiator
A concise manual on how to avoid the perils and pitfalls of online negotiations involving e-mail and instant messaging
A detailed look at how gender and cultural differences can derail negotiations, and advice for putting talks back on track

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:54 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,634,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible