Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation…

Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People 2nd… (original 1999; edition 2006)

by G. Richard Shell

Combining insights in negotiation research with the tactics used by some of the world's leading business strategists, this book is a guide to becoming a more effective negotiator. Richard Shell explores the hidden psychology and patterns that govern every bargaining situation. The text is driven by stories about everything from hostage taking and high stakes business deals to everyday encounters. It offers a step-by-step approach that draws on the reader's own communication style to make a skillful negotiator.… (more)
Member:Verite_Research
Title:Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People 2nd Edition
Authors:G. Richard Shell
Info:Penguin Books (2006), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 320 pages

Bargaining for Advantage: Negotiation Strategies for Reasonable People by G. Richard Shell (1999)

In Bargaining for Advantage author G. Richard Shell provides a thorough review of the negotiation process, from preparation to closing, but for me personally the singularly best piece of advice was this bit of wisdom: "Those who expect more get more." I come from a world of tempered expectations and playing nice, which as Shell points out is a relativity weak disposition to negotiate from. We all tend to get exactly what we expect from life and research further confirms this is true. What someone sees as entitlement, and all the negativity associated with that word, another sees it as self-esteem and of being assertive. Food for thought.

In general, there's so much misinformation and anxiety associated with the act of negotiation that many don't take full advantage of their options or they avoid bargaining altogether. According to the author, successful negotiation is 90% preparation. It's like taking a test. If you don't study, then you're just flying blind. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Dec 26, 2013 |
My graduate school instructor who taught negotiation recently recommended this book to me. I found it to be a much better book than Getting to Yes, another classic in the field which seems to be better known. Shell writes extremely well, provides many concrete examples, lays out a detailed and methodical strategy for improving your negotiation skills, and provides a nifty assessment in the appendix to determine your own unique style and preferences. This is a very practical book, of course, but it is also interesting and a pleasure to read. I heartily endorse my professor's recommendation and suggest that others will benefit from this book. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jan 26, 2011 |
a very structured look at negotiation as an art and personal style. ( )
  eugenios | Sep 1, 2009 |
Richard Shell: Thomas Gerrity Professor; Professor of Legal Studies and Business Ethics and Management at Wharton
Pros: good examples; practical advice; solid evidence and academic style reasoning
Cons: mostly old advice; significant overlapping with literature on psychology of influence; can be slow and repetitive at places ( )
  sphinx | Mar 30, 2008 |
But wait a second: people aren't reasonable. Why do I have this book?
  wfzimmerman | May 9, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,064,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible