Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Among the Living (PsyCop) by Jordan Castillo…

Among the Living (PsyCop)

by Jordan Castillo Price

Thanks to Cocky™ Michaelle for the nudge, because I almost gave up a few pages in. But the plot picked up around the 40% mark, by which time the first person POV had started to feel less jarring. By the end, I still didn't have a good handle on Jacob but Vic did actually turn out to be an interesting character, probably because the story was told from his POV. I think I might stick with this series.

Gaia_Sol | Sep 1, 2018 |
3.5 stars

I loved Victor, he has just the right amount of loneliness and insecurities that make me connect with a character right away.
Jacob’s attraction felt a little bit too much like insta-love, it would’ve probably worked better in a longer story, but I’m willing to overlook it because everything else was practically perfect.
And, who knows, maybe Jacob is one of those people who fall in love at first sight. I’ve been told they actually exist. :) ( )
  Ele.na | Jun 8, 2018 |
Re-read May 24, 2012
I don't know if it's because I'm in a different mood or if it gets better if you read it again after you've read the rest of the series. Up to 4 stars. ( )
  NannyOgg13 | May 26, 2018 |
This novella was a nice surprise. A good balance of mystery, m/m relationship, psychic stuff, paranormal stuff (that I didn’t expect), good dialogue, likable characters, and some smexy times. I think the scope of the story fit the novella length well. It didn’t feel rushed, which is a nice change of pace from some other novellas I’ve read recently. However, I did have some questions that I’ll get to below. It is one of those stories that I can have some issues with but still really enjoy it.

Victor is a Psych. He has the ability to see and talk to dead people which can be handy when you are a homicide cop. The saying “dead people tell no tales” doesn’t really apply when Victor is around (usually). Jacob is a Stiff, or a non-psychic cop. A Psych and a Stiff are usually paired together, however, Victor and Jacob are not partners. They do however, end up working together on a case.

Jacob comes off very confident and knows exactly what he wants and goes after it, which seems to be Victor. Victor, on the other hand, lacks Jacob’s confidence and seems to have a lot of self-doubt. He always seems so surprised at Jacob’s advances and interest in him. I actually had a bit of a hard time seeing Victor as a cop considering his uncertainty and lack of confidence in himself.

So here are some issues I had with the story and things that left me a bit confused.

- Jacob starts hitting on Victor right from the beginning without any warning or build up. It just seems to come out of nowhere. He zeroed in on Victor right away and it left me wondering why. (I've since learned that there is a free short story that is supposed to explain this on the author's website but I haven't read it yet. So why isn't it just bundled with this book? It would make a lot more sense to do that and the readers wouldn't be left wondering. Oh well *shrugs*)

- What was the deal with the mirrors and the eyes? There seemed to be a significance to the mirror fragments and how they were used in the story. They were used in two ways and neither was explained.

- Why couldn’t Victor hear the murdered people? Again, never really explained that I can recall.

- The sex scene at the end was a little hard to follow the way it was written. It was like watching a game of twister – how did he get that hand over there?

So, yes I had some issues with the story but overall I really liked it. The story engaged me (and I’m not even that big a fan of mystery/detective themes). The characters felt well developed for a novella size book. I want more of Victor and Jacob, and even Lisa and Carolyn were interesting. I wouldn’t call this a romance. It had romantic elements but not a true HEA and the characters continue in future books. I wanted to keep reading when it ended and that is always a good sign I enjoyed the book even if I questioned some of it. The story arc and mystery were resolved for this book. A good example of a story that doesn’t need to have a cliffhanger to make you want more, and I definitely want more.

Word Count: 29,000
Kindle Locations: 1597
Story text ends at 1495 (93%)
Includes Table of Contents
Heat Level: Erotic (but not as much as I expected). Door is wide open. ( )
  mishmelle | Apr 6, 2015 |
Isn't it just wonderful to write a novella about psychic cops? You can put anything in there you want, psychedelic stuff, sex, adventure, fun and twist it all together as one coherent story!!
Victor Bayne is a policeman in a special police force because he has psychic abilities and can connect with murder victims. That comes in handy when he and his new partner Lisa have to find out who kills gay men while having sex, leaving shattered mirrors behind. But Victor can't talk to the victims here, so he needs all the help he can get from the drop-dead gorgeous police detective Jacob Marks. Did I mention that those two are attracted to one another? Well, step on the funny plot-line of Price to have a priceless and entertaining read that wants you not to go to sleep until all is settled and well.
Very tempting to have a go with all the other PcyCop detectives from that series. This is fun!! ( )
  Kaysbooks | Sep 28, 2014 |

Victor Bayne, the psychic half a PsyCop team, is a gay medium who’s more concerned with flying under the radar than in making waves.

He hooks up with handsome Jacob Marks, a non-psychic (or “Stiff”) from an adjacent precinct at his ex-partner’s retirement party and it seems like his dubious luck has taken a turn for the better. But then a serial killer surfaces who can change his appearance to match any witness’ idea of the world’s hottest guy.

Solving murders is a snap when you can ask the victims whodunit, but this killer’s not leaving any spirits behind.

Victor Bayne, the psychic half of a PsyCop team, is a gay medium who's more concerned with flying under the radar than in making waves. He hooks up with Jacob Marks, a non-psychic (or "Stiff") from an adjacent precinct. Just as it seems like his dubious luck has improved, a serial killer with a gruesome M.O. surfaces ?and no one agrees what he looks like."… (more)

Jordan Castillo Price is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,491,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible