Lord of the Shadows by Jennifer Fallon

Lord of the Shadows (2003)

by Jennifer Fallon

Recently added byAmberfire287, JulieGKant, kpevjen, private library, Nasrin_thorn, pvreeburg, SnappingTurtle

SECOND SONS TRILOGY
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
This is the last exhilarating book in the exciting Second Sons Trilogy.
Dirk’s Machiavellian plan is now well in play. The skill with which this nineteen year old manipulates pretty much everyone around him is amazing. He totally deceives king Antonov, a man more than twice his age; even those closest to him find it hard to believe he has not deserted them and gone over to the dark side. But Dirk is a man with a plan - he is ruthless because he can't see any other way of freeing the kingdom of Dhevyn or doing away with the evil cult of the Shadowdancers who use their religion to commit heinous acts.
All the clues laid down in the earlier books come together here. The characters also continue to grow. I was delighted with Neris’s role in this book; and despaired at his final gesture. Misha developed from a cipher to an engaging young man who will no doubt be a responsible and caring ruler. I was pleased to see the shrill edges smoothed a little from Tia and Maquel. Both had the potential to be the two least engaging females I’ve come across in fantasy worlds in a long time.
There’s something a bit out of the ordinary in this trilogy, which only occurred to me some time after I put down Lord of the Shadows. After reading over 1500 pages of this series, there had only been two scenes of battle, and both of those had been very small. The only "magic" was a trick played on everybody in the kingdom. The entire Second Sons trilogy was a story of political intrigue on a grand scale and I enjoyed every line of it.
It's hard to find someone who can get the finish to a trilogy just right, but Fallon has it down pat. She delivers an electrifying tale that will has me thirsting for her next novel. ( )
  Jawin | Oct 31, 2009 |
The culmination to the saga. We still have a story that is basically told through the characters and how they change. Even the places where I look at the plot poking through nakedly - "We've got a big ending planned, and we have to get all the principals there" for example - have little twists that make them work as character-driven moments as well as plot moments.

I could say everyone ends up living happily every after, but that's a lie. However, the good guys win through and do get to be happy, or at least starting to set up their happiness for marriages and the like. Even Tia forgives Dirk, eventually.

There's a step towards enlightenment, whether or not it will endure and generally things are going well. ( )
  lewispike | Nov 9, 2008 |
A very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy. Nearly everyone got what they deserved. A very enjoyable read which I found through the FantasyFans group - so thank you to them. ( )
  infjsarah | Jun 29, 2008 |
'Tis all a Chequer-board of nights and days
Where Destiny with Men for Peices plays...

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
(translation by Edward J. Fitzgerald, 1859)
For David, and as always, Adele Robinson
Neris Veran was waiting as Tia climbed the goat path up to his cave overlooking the pirate settlement of Mil.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055358670X, Mass Market Paperback)

Darkness threatens Ranadon again in the form of an eclipse. The Goddess wants to give the people of Ranadon a sign—and only Dirk Provin can interpret it. To do so, Dirk has systematically betrayed his one-time allies to join his most hated enemies. Now, with neither side trusting him, Dirk sets his own devious plot in motion

Senet’s Crippled Prince, Misha, has found unexpected and tenuous sanctuary among the Baenlanders of Mil. To secure their trust, he offers them the one thing they cannot refuse. Meanwhile, Alenor, Queen of Dhevyn, betrayed by her husband, Kirsh, and Tia Veran, deceived by Dirk, set out for revenge and to finally free their people at any cost. As the second sons and the rest of their generation
pursue different paths to survival and freedom, they discover that the will of the Goddess—and of men—works in mysterious ways. And as Dirk’s old enemies join with new ones, his attempt to save Ranadon may cost him his friends, his love...and his life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:57 -0400)

Marked as a traitor by his own people and distrusted by his new allies, Dirk Provin walks a dangerous tightrope of political intrigue as he tries to find a way to expose the truth about the second sun.

Jennifer Fallon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,484,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible