Popcorn: Poems by James Stevenson

This book is filled with short poems about many different things. These poems make you see a different perspective of things. It also writes about things we encounter everyday. One of my favorite poems from this book is called "Gentle Dog". I feel like it's so true what it is talking about. Also it shows how amazing, sweet, and gentle dogs are. There always there for you even for little kids when they are bothering the dogs. The dogs stay there, loyal and giving there love to you. It's a very entertaining book and I liked all the poems. ( )
  lruano | Oct 4, 2014 |
This book was interesting to read because it's different poems based on a specific thing. It makes you use your imagination about something as if you are really seeing a skunk wearing a tuxedo walking across the street. I feel like this book would be fun for first graders or maybe a little older to really understand and grasp what the book is trying to say. I really enjoyed the crab shell one because it's the crab talking and saying that the customer was really rough by eating him. The illustration of the book also is very detailed and each page has a picture of what the stories are talking about.
  emilyann93 | Sep 8, 2014 |
My favorite poem book about the lifestyle we live. Another one, Gentle dog teaches us that dogs are more caring and protective than humans. The message of these poems are to remind, entertain, and make Americans laugh about their ever-changing heritage. Stevenson has very good illustrations as well as text that capture the reader's attention. This book is ideally for Kindergarten through the third grade. I think this is great for a child's cognitive and creative development. This book is about the various objects we encounter in life. ( )
  sabdelaz | Apr 14, 2014 |
Again, I love poetry. These poems are cute and creative, yet they're realistic and apply everyday life happenings. In my classroom, I really want to pick a poem a day to read to my class before we get started in the morning, I would pick poems out of this book just because they were so imaginative. My favorite poem is about the black dog who meets his humans baby for the first time, and the baby pokes the dog and such, and then the dog gets up and walks off realizing the baby will need a gentle dog when it gets older. ( )
  TPicou | Sep 24, 2013 |
A lot of cute poems for all children. ( )
  dmiller504 | Sep 16, 2013 |

Here is James Stevenson's follow-up to his popular poetry collection, Sweet Corn, which School Library Journal labeled in a starred review "A book to savor." Inside this volume are poems to make you laugh and poems to make you dream...and wonder ...and think. Some are exuberant and some are quirky and some are sad, but each and every one will leave you hungry for more. So open the book, dig in-and enjoy!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:50 -0400)

A collection of short poems with such titles as "Popcorn," "Driftwood," and "My new bird book."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,491,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible