Popcorn: Poems by James Stevenson

My favorite poem book about the lifestyle we live. Another one, Gentle dog teaches us that dogs are more caring and protective than humans. The message of these poems are to remind, entertain, and make Americans laugh about their ever-changing heritage. Stevenson has very good illustrations as well as text that capture the reader's attention. This book is ideally for Kindergarten through the third grade. I think this is great for a child's cognitive and creative development. This book is about the various objects we encounter in life. ( )
  sabdelaz | Apr 14, 2014 |
Again, I love poetry. These poems are cute and creative, yet they're realistic and apply everyday life happenings. In my classroom, I really want to pick a poem a day to read to my class before we get started in the morning, I would pick poems out of this book just because they were so imaginative. My favorite poem is about the black dog who meets his humans baby for the first time, and the baby pokes the dog and such, and then the dog gets up and walks off realizing the baby will need a gentle dog when it gets older. ( )
  TPicou | Sep 24, 2013 |
A lot of cute poems for all children. ( )
  dmiller504 | Sep 16, 2013 |
This book is full of cute poems for all ages. It is a great book to show students when teaching about poetry. ( )
  klmontgomery | Sep 2, 2013 |
I don't read a lot of poetry, but I once bought Raymond Carver's complete poems ( ALL OF US ) because I liked a poem he wrote about popcorn. (And I DID like almost all of Carver's poetry, thank you very much.) So when I saw this kid book of poems by James Stevenson, an illustrator I have long admired, at a local library sale, with its title and cover pic of POPCORN, of course I picked it up to take a look. At first, I was drawn in by the color illustrations, but some of the poems also quickly sucked me in. The title poem? Yeah, I could relate to its lines about the author and a friend passing, in a theater lobby, a pile of boxes of popcorn "stacked seven feet high/And ten feet wide/and twenty feet deep."

"'Could you eat that much popcorn?' said Walker.
'I already have,' I said."

Me too, James, nearly seventy years of popcorn mania.

There's a great one about a closed up restaurant where the stacked chairs speak ("Some Say There Are Ghosts in the All-Star Restaurant"), and another about a wistful conversation between some rusting and abandoned heavy equipment ("The Mack Truck and the Shovel"). But I think I liked the dog poems best, and there are a few of them ("Chelsea's Breakfast," "Gentle Dog," and "At Last"), but perhaps the best - and the saddest - is "Chelsea: January 1985 - December 1996", beginning with the line: "Chelsea is gone." That's all I'm gonna give you, because, if you've ever loved a dog, to read it all is to weep.

My take on POPCORN: POEMS? They're not all great poems, but most of them are good enough. Some very nice pieces here to share with your kids or grandkids. And that last "Chelsea" poem offers a gentle way in to talk to them about where we all will go someday, even your "best friend." Yes. I recommend this book. ( )
  TimBazzett | Aug 14, 2013 |

Here is James Stevenson's follow-up to his popular poetry collection, Sweet Corn, which School Library Journal labeled in a starred review "A book to savor." Inside this volume are poems to make you laugh and poems to make you dream...and wonder ...and think. Some are exuberant and some are quirky and some are sad, but each and every one will leave you hungry for more. So open the book, dig in-and enjoy!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:50 -0400)

A collection of short poems with such titles as "Popcorn," "Driftwood," and "My new bird book."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,823 books! | Top bar: Always visible