Dancer by Colum McCann

Dancer (2003)

by Colum McCann

7131919,716 (3.76)45
    Dancer from the Dance by Andrew Holleran (aulsmith)
    aulsmith: If you liked the parts about Victor, you'll find the same kind of people with more depth in Dancer from the Dance

English (16)  German (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (19)
This is certainly one of the very best biographical novels I've ever read. Truly unforgettable portrait of Nureyev and his passion and artistic drive. ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
This was an impulse grab at the library, and turned into a really fascinating fictionalized account of the life of dancer Rudolf Nuryev. Along with his star-touched life, it gave insight into the harsh world of Soviet Russia in the 20th century, which was equally intriguing. Outside of my normal "box", but I'm very glad I gave this one a chance. ( )
  NeedMoreShelves | May 22, 2017 |
I really enjoyed the beginning of this work, but as the sections kept going and the stylings of different sections became more diverse, I found it harder and harder to connect with either the characters or the story of Nureyev's life. Much as I loved McCann's writing, I just couldn't get as involved in the story as I wanted to, though I found certain sections and chapters impossible to put down. Certainly, it was an interesting read... but probably not one I'll return to.

I'd recommend it to interested readers, and to readers interested in dance or in novels told in experimental or varying designs and levels. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Mar 27, 2017 |
Dramatic fictional account of the life and career of Rudolf Nureyev. Told from several points of view: family, friends, colleagues, employees, and others. A little disjointed and it jumps around a bit, but it works.
Library book. ( )
  seeword | Aug 7, 2016 |
Whatever happened to third-person narration?? When authors wanted to cover a subject from multiple view points, they used to write their novel in third person. Not any more. Now we have books like this--incredibly awkward jumbles of multiple first person narrations, requiring the reader to have to figure out who the current narrator is as well as where and when the current bit is taking place. In third, the author could have told us and saved me much trouble and annoyance.

And, quite frankly, I found a number of the individual stories much more interesting and compelling than the overall story of Nureyev. I would have been happy to have a novel or short story about a Russian nurse in World War II or the daughter of a political dissident living in Leningrad or teacher in Ufa with a brother who defects to the West or a gay hanger-on in the 1970s (though that one is pretty well covered in Holleran's Dancer from the Dance).

As the novel exists, it was okay. I would have stopped reading except it was for my book group. Pre- and post-AIDS gay life is well depicted. Ballet culture is always interesting. The theme of sacrifice for art (including to some extent, celebrity as a sacrifice) was interesting. But I would have rather been reading something else. ( )
  aulsmith | Jun 18, 2014 |
Four winters.
Perhaps, then, you should forget everything I have said to you and remember only this: The real beauty in life is that beauty can sometimes occur.

Taking his inspiration from biographical facts, novelist Colum McCann tells the erotically charged story of the Russian dancer Rudolf Nureyev through the cast of those who knew him: there is Anna Vasileva, Rudi's first ballet teacher, who rescues her protégé from the stunted life of his provincial town; Yulia, whose sexual and artistic ambitions are thwarted by her Soviet-sanctioned marriage; and Victor, the Venezuelan street hustler, who reveals the lurid underside of the gay celebrity set. Spanning four decades and many worlds, from the horrors of the Second World War to the wild abandon of New York in the eighties, Dancer is peopled by a large cast of characters, obscure and famous: doormen and shoemakers, nurses and translators, Margot Fonteyn, Eric Bruhn and John Lennon. And at the heart of the spectacle stands the artist himself, willful, lustful, and driven by a never-to-be-met need for perfection.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:33 -0400)

"A Russian peasant who became an international legend, a Cold War exile who inspired the adoration of millions, an artist whose name was a byword for genius, sex, and excess. The magnificence of Rudolf Nureyev's life and work is known, but now Colum McCann reinvents this figure through the light he shed on the lives of those who knew him." "Boldly embellishing the biographical facts, McCann tells the story through a chorus of voices. There is Anna Vasileva, Rudi's first ballet teacher, who, banished from St. Petersburg, rescues her preternaturally talented protege from the stunted life of his town; Yulia, whose sexual and artistic ambitions are thwarted by her Soviet-sanctioned marriage; Victor, a decadent Venezuelan, who revels in the hedonism of the gay celebrity set; Odile, the legendary cook, who finds love at middle age while feeding the great and their hangers-on. Spanning four decades and many worlds, from the killing fields of World War II to the wild abandon of New York's gaudy eighties, Dancer is peopled by a large cast of characters, obscure and famous, real and imagined."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Colum McCann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Colum McCann chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 1, 2010 to Mar 14, 2010. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,196,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible