The Hot Flash Club by Nancy Thayer

The Hot Flash Club

by Nancy Thayer

Recently added bydsdumpling, tennwisc, private library, Dmtcer, clandvatter, cocktailsandbooks, robertawilder

As a 54 year old woman I had a lot of laughs with this book. Yes there are some parts that are unbelievable but this is chic lit at it's finest as far as I am concerned. I just picked up the audio book for a light book after reading 2 heavy ones and now I am going back for the sequels! Sometimes we just need to be entertained and these ladies did it for me! ( )
  theeccentriclady | Oct 20, 2013 |
Faye, Shirley, Marilyn and Alice seem to have little in common apart from their age but when they meet by coincidence they realize that between them they have the ability to help each other with their problems. A friendship soon develops and by the end of the book they are all feeling stronger and more confident. This is an engaging and often amusing book although some of the plot lines are a little implausible. All of the characters are sympathetic and you find yourself wanting them to succeed in their individual endeavors. Great holiday reading. ( )
  RefPenny | Jan 22, 2011 |
I just couldn't get into this one. Not sure why, but I just couldn't. Not saying it's not a good book, but I couldn't get past chapter 5 1/2. I read the first four chapters - learning about each woman, but when I started on the 5th chapter, I lost interest. ( )
  KatheeVZ | May 4, 2010 |
A chance meeting at a cocktail party brings four menopausal women together to form the Hot Flash club, in which they share their immediate problems and plot to help one another. Despite their different backgrounds and education levels, they find they have a lot in common.

Contrary to popular belief we mature women are vital, sexual, and outrageous. I found I could really identify with the four main characters and loved the way they worked together and solved their problems - even if the solution was not necessarily the one they first thought of.

This book is one in a series and it is very well written, entertaining and easy to follow. I will be looking up the rest of the series. ( )
  sally906 | Feb 8, 2009 |
comarderie amoung middle aged women. ( )
  chaoscat60 | Oct 7, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345492293, Mass Market Paperback)

From the bestselling author of Between Husbands and Friends and An Act of Love comes a wise, wonderful, and delightfully witty “coming of age” novel about four intrepid women who discover themselves as they were truly meant to be: passionate, alive, and ready to face the best years of their lives.

Meet Faye, Marilyn, Alice, and Shirley. Four women with skills, smarts, and secrets—all feeling over the hill and out of the race. But in a moment of delicious serendipity, they meet and realize they share more than raging hormones and lost dreams. Now as the Hot Flash Club, where the topics of motherhood, sex, and men are discussed with double servings of chocolate cake, they vow to help each other . . . and themselves.

Faye, the artist. A determinedly cheerful widow and connoisseur of control-top pantyhose, she’s struggling with creative block and an empty, lonely house. Now she’s got a tricky problem to bring to the club’s table: how can they catch her perfect son-in-law cheating on her only daughter Laura?

Shirley, the healer. Though her yoga-slender body belie her years, decades of dating losers and the strain of being broke make her feel her age. Shirley has a secret dream: a wellness spa that nurtures body and soul. But first she needs to believe in herself, in her abilities, and in her friends at the club.

Marilyn, the brain. A paleontologist who has spent so many years looking at dried-up fossils, she’s almost become one herself. Worried that her brilliant but nerdy son is about to marry the very wrong woman, she gets some help from the HFC, who transform her from a caterpillar to a butterfly, with amazing results.

Alice, the executive. Black and regal, she soared to the top of the corporate ladder. Now her shoes are murder on her arthritic back and the younger jackals are circling in for the kill. But as the inspiration behind the HFC, she’s about to discover something extraordinary: contentment.

For Faye, Shirley, Marilyn, and Alice, the time has come to use it or lose it—be it their bodies, their brains, their spirits, and their sense of fun. Together they realize that they can have it all, perhaps for the first time in their lives. And though what sags may never rise again, feeling sexy has no expiration date— and best of all, with a little help from her friends, a woman can always start over . . . and never, ever, give up what matters most.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:30 -0400)

Faye, Marilyn, Alice, and Shirley--four middle-aged women who are all feeling over the hill and out of life--get together to form the Hot Flash Club, where they band together to help each other and get the most out of life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,151,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible