The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor

The Complete Stories (original 1971; edition 1971)

by Flannery O'Connor

Member:selfnoise
Title:The Complete Stories
Authors:Flannery O'Connor
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (1971), Reissue, Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:literature, southern, short stories, essential

The Complete Stories by Flannery O'Connor (1971)

English (52)  Italian (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (56)
Mansfield e agora O'Connor transmutaram-se em contistas que efetivamente se tornam as mais deletáveis ao meu paladar, mas é em O'Connor com seu pessimismo trágico que pude encontrar a tecelagem de uma obra prima em cada conto, a forma que ela arremata as poucas dezenas de páginas dos mesmos é de uma perfeição narrativa e estética que só a proporcionalidade com a questão ética e religiosa explica tamanha grandiosidade na construção do texto. ( )
  Adriana_Scarpin | Jun 12, 2018 |
If I could give this book 10 stars I would. I read each and every story in this collection, and I'll read them again.

Flannery O'Connor's short stories are morbid, dark, surprising, edgy and marvelous and uplifting at the same time. Many discriminating readers, including some of my family members ;-) find her stories too troubling and depressing. But the disturbing aspects are what draw me somehow. O'Connor reveals human depravity and redemption in her characters, unlike any other writer. The redemption you need to look for carefully. But the depravity is evident. And it is truth. And that resounds deeply with me.

Some people object to her use of old southern vernacular ("nigger" pickaninny"). Similar objections were raised when Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was published. If you are a sensitive politically correct type, then definitely avoid her stories. But you will be sadly missing out on some wonderful writing.

Some of my favorites in this collection were: The Geranium, A Late Encounter with the Enemy, The River, The Displaced Person, The Artificial Nigger, Good Country People, Greenleaf, A View of the Woods, The Enduring Chill, The Comforts of Home and The Lame Shall Enter First, with the last two being the favorites among the favorites. There were several stories in this book which were later incorporated into her novel Wise Blood. Those were not as compelling. O'Connor's best form was by far the short story.

It was a joy to read these stories, as it was for pure enjoyment this time around. I am thankful to my college profs who introduced me to her writing many years ago. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Mar 31, 2018 |
The only thing left for me to say about this classic of American literature is that I do not recommend powering through the whole book at once. The stories are so heavy, you might want to give yourself some time between them. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
National book award winner.
great stories ( )
  mahallett | Jan 5, 2017 |
I am halfway, will finish another time. The stories are great although the world in which they are set is rather limited. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |

Flannery O'Connorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Giroux, RobertIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stahl, Ben F.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Old Dudley folded into the chair he was gradually molding to his own shape and looked out the window fifteen feet away into another window framed by blackened red brick.

Winner of the National Book Award

O'Connor published her first story, "The Geranium," in 1946, while she was working on her master's degree at the University of Iowa. Arranged chronologically, this collection shows that her last story, "Judgement Day"--sent to her publisher shortly before her death—is a brilliantly rewritten and transfigured version of "The Geranium." Taken together, these stories reveal a lively, penetrating talent that has given us some of the most powerful and disturbing fiction of the twentieth century. Also included is an introduction by O'Connor's longtime editor and friend, Robert Giroux.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

The publication of this extraordinary volume firmly established Flannery O'Connor's monumental contribution to American fiction. There are thirty-one stories here in all, including twelve that do not appear in the only two story collections O'Connor put together in her short lifetime--Everything That Rises Must Converge and A Good Man Is Hard to Find. O'Connor published her first story, "The Geranium," in 1946, while she was working on her master's degree at the University of Iowa. Arranged chronologically, this collection shows that her last story, "Judgement Day"--sent to her publisher shortly before her death--is a brilliantly rewritten and transfigured version of "The Geranium." Taken together, these stories reveal a lively, penetrating talent that has given us some of the most powerful and disturbing fiction of the twentieth century. Also included is an introduction by O'Connor's longtime editor and friend, Robert Giroux. --Publisher.… (more)

Legacy Library: Flannery O'Connor

Flannery O'Connor has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Flannery O'Connor's legacy profile.

See Flannery O'Connor's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,283,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible