Things You Save in a Fire: A Novel by…

Things You Save in a Fire: A Novel (edition 2020)

by Katherine Center (Author)

From the New York Times bestselling author of How to Walk Away comes a stunning new novel about courage, hope, and learning to love against all odds. Cassie Hanwell was born for emergencies. As one of the only female firefighters in her Texas firehouse, she's seen her fair share of them, and she's a total pro at other people's tragedies. But when her estranged and ailing mother asks her to give up her whole life and move to Boston, Cassie suddenly has an emergency of her own. The tough, old-school Boston firehouse is as different from Cassie's old job as it could possibly be. Hazing, a lack of funding, and poor facilities mean that the firemen aren't exactly thrilled to have a "lady" on the crew--even one as competent and smart as Cassie. Except for the infatuation-inspiring rookie, who doesn't seem to mind having Cassie around. But she can't think about that. Because love is girly, and it's not her thing. And don't forget the advice her old captain gave her: Never date firefighters. Cassie can feel her resolve slipping...and it means risking it all--the only job she's ever loved, and the hero she's worked like hell to become. Katherine Center's Things You Save in a Fire is a heartfelt and healing tour-de-force about the strength of vulnerability, the nourishing magic of forgiveness, and the life-changing power of defining courage, at last, for yourself.… (more)
Member:suedutton
Title:Things You Save in a Fire: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Center (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2020), 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:2020oct

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

Recently added byArina40, suedutton, private library

Delighted to discover a brand new author, for me! Loved this story as well as the fact that the author's husband is a firefighter. ( )
  nyiper | Sep 28, 2020 |
3.5 stars
super cute rom-com about learning forgiveness. ( )
1 vote littlemuls | Sep 26, 2020 |
4 . 5 stars ( )
  KrazyKoala | Sep 14, 2020 |
4 . 5 stars ( )
  KrazyKoala | Sep 14, 2020 |
This is my third title by this author, and I think it was stronger than her last book, How to Walk Away. The lessons in this one may be a little heavy handed, but I can forgive it for how moving the story truly is. A story of a female firefighter, I really appreciated that the focus is just kept to a few characters and the supporting cast of firefighters is small enough to be distinct without much detail, because I think flushing out the secondary characters more would have diluted the book's impact. Five stars for this quick fun read with heart! ( )
  KimMeyer | Sep 8, 2020 |
For every woman who has ever had to be brave.
And for the folks in the world who make a choice to be helpers.
And for my hilarious and good-hearted volunteer firefighter husband, Gordon. This book would be about ten pages long without his help. He told me a hundred hilarious and heartbreaking firefighting stories, walked me through all his EMS skills, read draft after draft for accuracy, and fielded countless questions like,"What is firefighter slang for 'vomit'."
The night I became the youngest person---and the only female ever---to win the Austin Fire Department's valor award, I got propositioned by my partner.
As if you don't always lose by definition when you push the people who love you away.
"There's all this toughness about you---but the most impressive thing about that toughness, I think, is that you built it to protect the tenderness."
Maybe all happiness could ever hope to be was a tiny interruption from sorrow.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,410,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible