dismiss

Guts by Raina Telgemeier

Guts (edition 2019)

by Raina Telgemeier (Author), Raina Telgemeier (Author), Raina Telgemeier (Author), Raina Telgemeier (Illustrator)

Series: Smile (3)

A true story from Raina Telgemeier, the #1 New York Times bestselling, multiple award-winning author of Smile, Sisters, Drama, and Ghosts!Raina wakes up one night with a terrible upset stomach. Her mom has one, too, so it's probably just a bug. Raina eventually returns to school, where she's dealing with the usual highs and lows: friends, not-friends, and classmates who think the school year is just one long gross-out session. It soon becomes clear that Raina's tummy trouble isn't going away... and it coincides with her worries about food, school, and changing friendships. What's going on? Raina Telgemeier once again brings us a thoughtful, charming, and funny true story about growing up and gathering the courage to face - and conquer - her fears.… (more)
Member:bibliovermis
Title:Guts
Authors:Raina Telgemeier (Author)
Other authors:Raina Telgemeier (Author), Raina Telgemeier (Author), Raina Telgemeier (Illustrator)
Info:Graphix (2019), 224 pages
Collections:2020, Your library
Rating:***1/2
Tags:comic, non-fiction, middle grade, memoir, family, illness, series: smile

Guts by Raina Telgemeier

Guts is a graphic novel that may help children who suffer from panic attacks and anxiety. Guts is based on Raina Telgemeier’s own experiences. She brings acceptance to feeling stressed and seeking help. Excellent read! ( )
  lflareads | Jun 27, 2020 |
Raina is in fifth grade and she has the stomach flu. But after that she develops a fear of being sick, more stomach issues, more worries about food, friends, and school. Eventually her parents take her to a therapist to help her work through some of her fears and anxiety and find healthy ways to cope. ( )
  ewyatt | Jun 24, 2020 |
When will Raina call it quits? The book,aside from the graphics,is bad and a complete disgrace to comics and graphic novels. Skip it. ( )
  Oldsbooksrule | May 19, 2020 |
Our granddaughter Eleanor chose this as the inaugural book for long distance book club!
I’m disappointed a bit. I suppose it’s the limitations of a graphic novel. On the other hand, there was some movement and development that was not entirely predictable. Good enough! ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 18, 2020 |
Telgemeier is an author I have heard about for quite some time now. Working as a page at my local library, I have seen firsthand how popular her books are with children and young adults. As much as I wanted to read the controversial Drama, I decided to check this one out since it is her latest work. Not only is the art really appealing, but the story centering on anxiety is really well done. Even though the plot focuses on Telgemeier herself (something I did not realize until I was halfway through it), it never feels self-indulgent. One of my favorite images comes on page 120 where Telgemeier splits up the page into four interconnected panels that show how this anxiety stays on her mind from the time she gets up to the time she bathes and goes to bed. Although I still want to read Drama, I am glad I read this book because I can now see why her graphic novels continue to be as popular as they are. ( )
  TNAEWWF123 | Apr 27, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

Smile (3)
For anyone who feels afraid
Mom?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,644,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible