A Year in the World: Journeys of a…

A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller

by Frances Mayes

2006 (5) 2007 (5) audio (6) autobiography (9) biography (10) Europe (21) fiction (4) food (16) France (8) Frances Mayes (4) Greece (13) Italy (27) Mediterranean (4) memoir (51) Morocco (9) non-fiction (63) own (6) Portugal (15) read (5) Scotland (6) Spain (17) to-read (16) travel (191) travel memoir (4) travel narrative (8) travel writing (9) travelogue (7) Turkey (10) unread (6) women (4)

I was surprised by the calibre of the writing, which was exquisite.

Normally, I'm not interested in southern Europe, but she wrote so beautifully about it that I was stirred. Seeing it all through her eyes, I almost feel as if I were there. Her passion is contageous.

Now, I'll have to read her Tuscany books! ( )
  bookwoman247 | Aug 21, 2013 |
I'm bailing out of this one after just a couple of discs. The prose is so studied, so mannered that it's limpidly painful. Okay, it's really just painful, but I've been listening to limpid limpid limpid for two solid hours and thought I should jazz up my review. Mayes comes off as pretentious, over-privileged and entirely annoying. If she were next to me at the Prado, rabbiting on and on about limpid this and cerulean that, I'd feel a need to smack her one.

OTOH, if your idea of travel involves only 5-star hotels, ditto restaurants, and a comfortable insulation from the places you visit, this may be just the thing for you. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
I loved "Under the Tuscan Sun" but am not getting into this one enough to continue. Not sure why so will attempt this at another time (sometimes timing is everything).
  aylin1 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Frances Mayes takes us on a journey through several European cities and to cities in Turkey and Morocco in this book. It's not quite a world-wide trip, but it is a year of travels that I would probably enjoy. I love her descriptions of food, gardens, libraries, bookstores, etc. Her passion for good food and good literature shines through this volume. Some of the narratives are more engaging than others, but I suspect that is more of an aspect of what the location had to offer or of the circumstances in which she found herself in some of the locations than of being bad writing. Many people would say that they were uneven. I think that she was trying to give people a true sense of her year of travels, including the ups and the downs. It's hard to write with the same passion about a place one did not completely enjoy. I'm ready to pack the suitcases, get out the passports, and join her! The only thing preventing that is money. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 21, 2011 |
Delightful to read...descriptions of places and food intermix in a way only Mayes can entertain. I read her stories and coming away wanting more.... ( )
  Harrod | Jun 14, 2010 |
The silhouette of Alghero rises from the Mediterranean.

A Year in the World is vintage Frances Mayes—a celebration of the allure of travel, of serendipitous pleasures found in unlikely locales, of memory woven into the present, and of a joyous sense of quest. With her beloved Tuscany as a home base, Mayes travels to Spain, Portugal, France, the British Isles, and to the Mediterranean world of Turkey, Greece, the South of Italy, and North Africa. Weaving together personal perceptions and informed commentary on art, architecture, history, landscape, and social and culinary traditions, Mayes brings the immediacy of life in her temporary homes to readers. An illuminating and passionate book that will be savored by all who loved Under the Tuscan Sun, A Year in the World is travel writing at its peak.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:28 -0400)

The author who captured the experience of starting a new life in Tuscany expands her horizons to immerse herself--and her readers--in the sights, aromas, and treasures of twelve new special places. This book is a celebration of the allure of travel, of serendipitous pleasures found in unlikely locales, of memory woven into the present, and of a joyous sense of quest. She rents houses among ordinary residents, shops at neighborhood markets, wanders the back streets, and everywhere contemplates the concept of home. Weaving together personal perceptions and informed commentary on art, architecture, history, landscape, and social and culinary traditions of each area, Mayes brings the immediacy of life in her temporary homes to the reader.--From publisher description.… (more)

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,492,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible