A Year in the World: Journeys of a…

A Year in the World: Journeys of a Passionate Traveller

by Frances Mayes

7761911,908 (3.43)19

loved it, felt like I was traveling the world with her, thanks to her wonderful descriptions. ( )
  pninabaim | Mar 11, 2015 |
My grandmother gave me a copy of this for Christmas, knowing we share the same travel bug especially for this central-Med part of the world. Although I'd heard of Ms. Mayes from the "Tuscan" fame and subsequent film, I'd never read any of her work. At first, I found this a lovely book to dip in and out of over morning coffee. After numerous chapters, though, the narrative tone became just too much. Too "Poetic" with a capital P for my taste. Too rich for my travel tastes/reality as well, although I'd obviously love to be able to stay at some of the lovely hotels described. She also seemed to be, unconsciously?, somewhat less enthused with the Islamic cultures/destinations included, which were of the greatest interest to me. With my TBR pile ever looming, I finally gave up on Ms. Mayes. ( )
  bkmcneil | Jan 28, 2015 |
With her beloved Tuscany as a home base, Mayes travels to Spain, Portugal, France, the British Isles, and to the Mediterranean world of Turkey, Greece, and North Africa. Weaving together personal perceptions and informed commentary on art, architecture, history, landscape, and social and culinary traditions of each area, Mayes brings the immediacy of life in her temporary homes to the reader. ( )
  jepeters333 | Nov 25, 2014 |
I was surprised by the calibre of the writing, which was exquisite.

Normally, I'm not interested in southern Europe, but she wrote so beautifully about it that I was stirred. Seeing it all through her eyes, I almost feel as if I were there. Her passion is contageous.

Now, I'll have to read her Tuscany books! ( )
  bookwoman247 | Aug 21, 2013 |
I'm bailing out of this one after just a couple of discs. The prose is so studied, so mannered that it's limpidly painful. Okay, it's really just painful, but I've been listening to limpid limpid limpid for two solid hours and thought I should jazz up my review. Mayes comes off as pretentious, over-privileged and entirely annoying. If she were next to me at the Prado, rabbiting on and on about limpid this and cerulean that, I'd feel a need to smack her one.

OTOH, if your idea of travel involves only 5-star hotels, ditto restaurants, and a comfortable insulation from the places you visit, this may be just the thing for you. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
The silhouette of Alghero rises from the Mediterranean.

A Year in the World is vintage Frances Mayes—a celebration of the allure of travel, of serendipitous pleasures found in unlikely locales, of memory woven into the present, and of a joyous sense of quest. With her beloved Tuscany as a home base, Mayes travels to Spain, Portugal, France, the British Isles, and to the Mediterranean world of Turkey, Greece, the South of Italy, and North Africa. Weaving together personal perceptions and informed commentary on art, architecture, history, landscape, and social and culinary traditions, Mayes brings the immediacy of life in her temporary homes to readers. An illuminating and passionate book that will be savored by all who loved Under the Tuscan Sun, A Year in the World is travel writing at its peak.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:28 -0400)

The author who captured the experience of starting a new life in Tuscany expands her horizons to immerse herself--and her readers--in the sights, aromas, and treasures of twelve new special places. This book is a celebration of the allure of travel, of serendipitous pleasures found in unlikely locales, of memory woven into the present, and of a joyous sense of quest. She rents houses among ordinary residents, shops at neighborhood markets, wanders the back streets, and everywhere contemplates the concept of home. Weaving together personal perceptions and informed commentary on art, architecture, history, landscape, and social and culinary traditions of each area, Mayes brings the immediacy of life in her temporary homes to the reader.--From publisher description.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,716,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible