The Autobiography of Black Hawk by Black…

The Autobiography of Black Hawk (1834)

by Black Hawk (Author), Brett Berry (Narrator)

Member:alanteder
Title:The Autobiography of Black Hawk
Authors:Black Hawk (Author)
Other authors:Brett Berry (Narrator)
Info:Audible Inc., audiobook download edition, 3 hours and 34 minutes
Rating:***
Tags:In English language, non-fiction, autobiography, biography, native american autobiography, native american biography

Black Hawk: An Autobiography by Black Hawk (1834)

Black Hawk dictated his autobiography through amanuenses Antoine LeClair which was originally published in 1833. He was a Sauk leader and in his own words describes the conflict in 1832 as Americans came into the land east of the Mississippi and took the land away from his people. Black Hawk gives a good description of the Native American Culture as well as the trouble with trying to do business with the US government. Of course the citizens weren't admirable in their behavior either which was probably fear driven. It was interesting to learn about this area of Illinois and Wisconsin. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 23, 2013 |
Audiobook from Audible. Black Hawk's story of duplicity by the US. While I assume he is disposed toward his own positive account of himself, he also acknowledges his errors at many points. Given the execrable conduct of the US government in its dealings with native people, I'll presume a reasonable degree of accuracy. Black Hawk is clear and even-handed, and I enjoyed reading this despite the sorrow provoked by its content. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
For this history, this is a worthwhile needed read, but I can't say that I enjoyed it. It does go quickly, but it's difficult to look at America's early history from such a straightforward view as Black Hawk's. As a modern reader, I want him to be cynical and enraged--his calm hopeful outlook is hard to take the further into his story one gets.

I do strongly recommend this edition, though it might be a bit more expensive than others. The historical material and introductory material is well worth the while. The only complaint I have with this edition is that the type is a bit small for comfortable reading over a long length of time. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Feb 2, 2009 |

On a side note--I'd recommend a different edition; there's no historical or introductory material here comparable to what's provided in other editions, and would be helpful. There are also quite a few typos. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Jan 25, 2009 |
This man's account of what happened to him in his life and to the lives of other people of Nations here on this continent has brought out facts that I knew where true, but had not read anywhere else. This is a true history book.
  kriiwe | Aug 3, 2008 |

Presents the transcribed autobiography of Black Hawk, a Sauk leader who struggled against white encroachment on his people's lands in western Illinois in the 1800s before his defeat at the Battle of Bad Axe in 1832, and includes a map of the Black Hawk War of the same year.… (more)

5 wanted2 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,613,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible