Black Swan Green (SIGNED) by David Mitchell

Black Swan Green (SIGNED) (original 2006; edition 2006)

by David Mitchell

4,6251961,578 (4)405
A novel of boyhood on the cusp of adulthood and the old on the cusp of the new, tracking a single year of 13-year-old Jason Taylor's life in Worcestershire in a dying Cold War England, 1982.
Member:paulmorriss
Title:Black Swan Green (SIGNED)
Authors:David Mitchell
Info:Sceptre (2006), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 371 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (2006)

A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz (pebbleyed)
    The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell (sturlington)
    sturlington: Recurring characters.
    Finn's Going by Tom Kelly (sirfurboy)
    sirfurboy: Finn's going is written from the viewpoint of a 10 year old, and extremely well done. It is also well written, has hidden depths and deals with issues of grief. An excellent work that deserves more attention.
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    The Rotters' Club by Jonathan Coe (Milesc)
    My Struggle: Book Three: Boyhood Island by Karl Ove Knausgård (julienne_preacher)
    Slam by Nick Hornby (SimoneA)
    SimoneA: These are both books about a teenage boy growing up with lots of problems, written with a lot of wit.
    Kompani Orheim : roman by Tore Renberg (petterw)
    petterw: To veldig forskjellige oppvekstromaner, men som står godt til hverandre.
    The Likeness by Tana French (lyzadanger)
    lyzadanger: Some similarity of tone; intense coming-of-age in Ireland, with murder mystery.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (PghDragonMan)
    The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (jll1976)

English (187)  Dutch (4)  German (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (1)  All languages (196)
A complete departure from Mitchell's usual multifaceted attack. This book is glaring proof that his fiction's solidity isn't the result of a puzzle-piece pile of style and wit that dizzies rather than tells (as some have claimed), but the fact that each individual piece of his puzzle is cut, measured, and perfectly colored while somehow remaining absolutely human. ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
Unlike the other two books of David Mitchell's that I've read (The Bone Clocks and Cloud Atlas), Black Swan Green isn't Science Fiction which was a oddly pleasant surprise once I'd read to the end of the book.

Mitchell's Science Fiction is good and not in the Hard Sci-Fi way but by being a background signal upon which the reader's awareness, transported, arrives at phenomenological destinations both familiar and new concerning the gamut of human experience. Eloquently written, to boot.

Black Swan Green succeeds in transporting the reader, without any Science Fiction, to a feeling-place in one's personal history (that time being: growing up in your early teen years, as a boy) that is difficult for me to remember with clear imagery but for which I have very clear sense-impressions and feeling-based memory. The eloquent writing and skillful imagery provided a solid anchor holds for my own sense-impressions and feeling-memories to take hold.

I particularly enjoyed the personal evolution of the young boy transmuting the diffident, internally repressed boy into a young man defining his individuality through the struggle of casting off the projector screen victims are for abusive people's psyches.

Definitely worth reading. ( )
  pspringmeyer | Aug 29, 2019 |
Compelling novel of coming-of-age in small town Britain in the early 80s. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 15, 2019 |
I can't believe I'm quitting a book by my favorite author, but I just can't work up any interest in this one.
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
Black Swan Green: A Novel by David Mitchell ( )
  valentinbru | Oct 2, 2018 |
Fleshing out such elementary wisdom is what coming-of-age novels are about. No doubt, that label will make some grimace and others wax nostalgic, but this novel is OK with caressing its traditional parameters. It settles for the sparks of verisimilitude instead of the fireworks of reinvention, while transmitting the uncomfortably comfortable sensation of smacking into the participants in one’s young life.

Mitchell is so good at inhabiting other voices that halfway through his ambitious "Cloud Atlas" (2004) — the characters include a 19th-century traveler in the Chatham Islands and a genetically engineered slave in a futuristic Korean dystopia — I began to suspect that Mitchell himself might actually be a noncorpum, a spirit who has commandeered the body of a young Englishman to type out its books.

Anxious, perhaps, about being mistaken for a supernatural being, Mitchell set himself a different sort of challenge in his brilliant new novel, "Black Swan Green." The book, set almost exclusively in a village of that name in quiet, provincial Worcestershire, follows 13-year-old Jason Taylor through 13 months, each folded into a storylike chapter.

. . . In Jason, Mitchell creates an evocative yet authentically adolescent voice, an achievement even more impressive than the ventriloquism of his earlier books.

Mitchell, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smet, Arthur deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Do not set foot in my office.
"The world never stops unmaking what the world never stops making. But who says the world has to make sense?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,532,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible