The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by…

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore (Illustrator)

Member:beniowa
Title:The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
Authors:Robert Kirkman
Other authors:Tony Moore (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2006), Edition: Volume 1, Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:Graphic Novel

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (2004)

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Feed by Mira Grant (andreablythe)

English (65)  French (4)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (71)
You probably have to like comic books to get like this. In this one, zombies and people breasts or muscles do things that ordinary people with intact brains (living or dead) most likely wouldn't do, but given that there are idiots everywhere could be seen as realistic by a forgiving audience.

The artists don't look at women the way they do at men. Men have various looks and have diverse features, women have large breasts and make-up in spite of the apocalypse (no, female eyes don't naturally look like that). They can't draw fat women worth a damn, too, but, er, points for trying? I don't know. As mostly with comics you get 2D male characters and 1D female characters (with DD breasts, though).

That ought to explain the target audience and why I'm not it. ( )
  Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
Since we are big fans of the show, I wanted to read the graphic novels that started it all. I'm not a fan of graphic novels. I'm enjoying them okay. I very much prefer the storyline in the tv series, compared to that of the novels. The written characters are hard and mostly uncaring. The characters in the AMC series are much easier to like. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Oct 1, 2014 |
#1 read 09 Aug 2014 {free from Humble Bundle}
#2 read 09 Aug 2014 {free from Humble Bundle}
#3 read 09 Aug 2014 {free from Humble Bundle}
#4 read 02 Sep 2014 {library book}
#5 read 02 Sep 2014 {library book}
#6 read 02 Sep 2014 {library book} ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
very different from the show ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I got into the whole zombie trend a bit late - around 2008, in fact. Thus, I was able to witness the mass-production and trivialization of one of horror's best-loved icons after discovering it so very, very late in the game. I was essentially driven backwards in time, drinking in the Romero series, forming vehement opinions on fast zombies vs slow zombies, and basically becoming as pretentious as possible.

I first heard about The Walking Dead when AMC came out with the series; I loved the first season of the show. Telltale Games' game series made me cry bitch tears. I decided that I should go back to the source and try out the comics. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't expecting quite as much... camp.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love cheesy, campy horror - especially the self-aware kind that knows just when to play it for laughs. But TWD almost NEVER plays it for laughs, which makes potentially funny moments awkward, and serious moments unintentionally funny. Example: In the first several pages, when Rick wakes up in the hospital and finds his first walkers, the following dialogue is uttered (emphasis not mine): "What's WRONG with you?! Can't you UNDERSTAND?!" As Rick makes a face that could have come out of a '70s giallo film, I could hear the pipe organs in my head.

Despite the awkward moments, I did enjoy the first TPB and am still catching up with the series. The plot is standard zombie fare - what's happening, where are the survivors, don't get bit, shoot 'em in the head. Nothing really new is brought to the table, which is just fine with me. From what I understand, the series gets much more involved and convoluted as it goes on. Overall, fun, familiar story, nice-if-exaggerated characters, and zombies. What's not to love? ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 7, 2014 |
Taking a well-worn genre—flesh-eating zombies overrun the world and the unlucky surviving humans must deal with the gruesome aftermath—and approaching it from a purely character-driven point of view propels this series into the spotlight from out of nowhere. This collection of the first six issues of the ongoing series opens with police officer Rick Grimes awakening from a gunshot-induced coma. From here, he's immediately dragged into a world where dangerous revenants are shambling amok without any sort of an explanation. From the moment Grimes comes to, it's a harrowing battle to avoid hordes of decomposing zombies and a hope-against-all-odds search for his missing family. Grimes makes his way to Atlanta, the nearest large city where there may be other living people, and events take several unexpected turns upon his arrival, as he meets up with a rural encampment of survivors. Of course, as in recent hit movies 28 Days Later... and Dawn of the Dead, the last humans may turn out to be as much a danger as the zombies. Forceful scripting that gives the book a strong grounding in reality, crisp b&w artwork, a shocking final sequence and brisk, gory proceedings elevate this book from the trash heap of pedestrian horror comics.

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, TonyArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rathburn, CliffColoristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is not good.
Please do not combine with The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1, The Walking Dead Book 1 or The Walking Dead Volume 1 Deluxe HC. The "volumes" are trade paperbacks which collect 6 issues, while the "books" are hard covers which collect 12 issues, the "Deluxe HC" collects 24 issues and the "compendium" collects 48 issues.

An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living.

Police officer Rick Grimes is shot on the job and wakes up a month later to find that the world that he knows is gone. Zombies have taken over and are killing and eating those who are still alive. He sets out toward Atlanta in the hope that his family is still alive and endures many horrors along the way.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,156,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible