The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by…

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore (Illustrator)

Member:beniowa
Title:The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
Authors:Robert Kirkman
Other authors:Tony Moore (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2006), Edition: Volume 1, Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:Graphic Novel

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (2004)

English (78)  French (4)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (84)
Much like the TV series, I'm still left very much "meh" when it comes to this story. The art here, presented in B&W, is good, and the writing isn't necessarily bad, it just leaves something to be desired for me. I'll give the second volume a try and if it doesn't really capture my attention more, I think I'm going to give up on TWD entirely. ( )
  tapestry100 | May 18, 2016 |
While I'm told the comics are quite different than the TV show, this first volume stuck pretty close to the TV narrative. It was a good read and I'll probably pick up another volume. ( )
  EllsbethB | Apr 26, 2016 |
The Walking Dead for me is the best programme and my favourite of all time. I haven't read any of the comics or books and I haven't read a graphic novel before either.

I found that I read this volume very quickl but had to get used to the order of the speech. If it weren't for the tv show I perhaps wouldn't have picked this up. I'm intrigued to see how close the show is to the original story. Up to yet quite close but with a few changes along the way. Characters are there that I remember and maybe a couple that I don't.

Not sure if I can become a comic or graphic novel fan but it was certainly different from reading a novel. ( )
  tina1969 | Apr 8, 2016 |
The Walking Dead. It's a thing now, and has been for the last few years, so I knew it was only a matter of time before I read the graphic novel that started it all - and reviewed it!

This. Was. Incredible.

This takes the beginning of the story - Rick wakes up in a hospital room, with vague memories, alone. At first glance, the hospital seems empty, but Rick finds that's not quite true.

He makes it out and on toward home, in a surreal wave of post hospital haze, borderline starvation, and situational unawareness - things that spell danger for any kind of lawman, but especially for a cop.

At this point, he still believes it's only temporary. Oh, Rick, if only you knew.

Rick continues to put one foot in front of the other, and that's why we love him. When shit gets tough, he drives on, whether he wants to give up or not. Rick is a dedicated man, even if he is a bit delusional. (No, the Army can't fix everything...)

PS - I had originally rated this 3/5 stars, but thinking back on it, it gets a 4/5. It was not enough of my thing to get a full 5, but it was good. Damn good.

Read the full review here:
https://ermareads.wordpress.com/graphically-graphic/the-walking-dead-vol-01-days-gone-bye/ ( )
  Ermina | Feb 25, 2016 |
I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead series, I just knew I had to check out the comic series that they were based on. It didn't disappoint.

It is the first time I have ever really read a comic and I LOVED it! It is a bit different then the TV show but I liked that cause it meant that I was surprised by some of the different storylines. The black and white artwork is amazing, and I don't think it would be the same if it was full colour.

I can't wait to read more in the series. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
Taking a well-worn genre—flesh-eating zombies overrun the world and the unlucky surviving humans must deal with the gruesome aftermath—and approaching it from a purely character-driven point of view propels this series into the spotlight from out of nowhere. This collection of the first six issues of the ongoing series opens with police officer Rick Grimes awakening from a gunshot-induced coma. From here, he's immediately dragged into a world where dangerous revenants are shambling amok without any sort of an explanation. From the moment Grimes comes to, it's a harrowing battle to avoid hordes of decomposing zombies and a hope-against-all-odds search for his missing family. Grimes makes his way to Atlanta, the nearest large city where there may be other living people, and events take several unexpected turns upon his arrival, as he meets up with a rural encampment of survivors. Of course, as in recent hit movies 28 Days Later... and Dawn of the Dead, the last humans may turn out to be as much a danger as the zombies. Forceful scripting that gives the book a strong grounding in reality, crisp b&w artwork, a shocking final sequence and brisk, gory proceedings elevate this book from the trash heap of pedestrian horror comics.

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, TonyArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rathburn, CliffColoristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is not good.
Please do not combine with The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1, The Walking Dead Book 1 or The Walking Dead Volume 1 Deluxe HC. The "volumes" are trade paperbacks which collect 6 issues, while the "books" are hard covers which collect 12 issues, the "Deluxe HC" collects 24 issues and the "compendium" collects 48 issues.

An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living.

Police officer Rick Grimes is shot on the job and wakes up a month later to find that the world that he knows is gone. Zombies have taken over and are killing and eating those who are still alive. He sets out toward Atlanta in the hope that his family is still alive and endures many horrors along the way.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,903,890 books! | Top bar: Always visible