The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by…

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore (Illustrator)

Member:beniowa
Title:The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
Authors:Robert Kirkman
Other authors:Tony Moore (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2006), Edition: Volume 1, Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:Graphic Novel

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (2004)

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An awesome look at the aftermath of a zombie apocalypse in the longer term.
    Zone One by Colson Whitehead (ahstrick)
    Feed by Mira Grant (andreablythe)
    Exit Zero by Neil A. Cohen (Neil.Cohen)

English (63)  French (4)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (69)
very different from the show ( )
  selinalynn69 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I got into the whole zombie trend a bit late - around 2008, in fact. Thus, I was able to witness the mass-production and trivialization of one of horror's best-loved icons after discovering it so very, very late in the game. I was essentially driven backwards in time, drinking in the Romero series, forming vehement opinions on fast zombies vs slow zombies, and basically becoming as pretentious as possible.

I first heard about The Walking Dead when AMC came out with the series; I loved the first season of the show. Telltale Games' game series made me cry bitch tears. I decided that I should go back to the source and try out the comics. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't expecting quite as much... camp.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love cheesy, campy horror - especially the self-aware kind that knows just when to play it for laughs. But TWD almost NEVER plays it for laughs, which makes potentially funny moments awkward, and serious moments unintentionally funny. Example: In the first several pages, when Rick wakes up in the hospital and finds his first walkers, the following dialogue is uttered (emphasis not mine): "What's WRONG with you?! Can't you UNDERSTAND?!" As Rick makes a face that could have come out of a '70s giallo film, I could hear the pipe organs in my head.

Despite the awkward moments, I did enjoy the first TPB and am still catching up with the series. The plot is standard zombie fare - what's happening, where are the survivors, don't get bit, shoot 'em in the head. Nothing really new is brought to the table, which is just fine with me. From what I understand, the series gets much more involved and convoluted as it goes on. Overall, fun, familiar story, nice-if-exaggerated characters, and zombies. What's not to love? ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 7, 2014 |
I'm a big fan of the tv show, The Walking Dead, so I was curious to see how the comics are. So far, from reading this first comic, the show stays pretty close to it. This first installment ends with Shane's death and if I remember correctly, that was how season 2 of the tv show ended. There's a few characters in the comic that aren't in the tv series, but from what I see the show pretty much follows the comic. So far, anyway because I have heard the two are different.

However, I think the tv show and the actors truly bring these characters to life. Rick Grimes is one of my favorite characters, ever, and to see his character change over these four seasons has really been one of my favorite aspects of the story. Actor Andrew Lincoln is truly wonderful in this role and does an amazing job. Creator Robert Kirkman promises that we will know what happens to Rick in the end, there will be no wondering.

I think the comics are a nice complimentary reading for fans of The Walking Dead series. The illustrations are pretty neat, I like how they capture the grim reality of what is going on in this post apocalyptic world. I'm a fan of zombie stories because I feel like it's interesting to see what such a world can do to people, and how it can change them. The zombies aren't the scariest part, the people are. It's human nature to want to survive, but at what cost?

Robert Kirkman paints a dark and difficult new world here in a realistic and intriguing way. What I really want to get my hands on are the Walking Dead books, starting with the The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor, also written by Kirkman.

disclaimer:
This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any type of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. While I receive free books from publishers and authors, I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-walking-dead-vol-1-days-gone-bye-b... ( )
  bookworm_naida | Jul 4, 2014 |
A striking and powerful graphic novel. Kirkman is clear in his introduction that he wants to write about characters changing in response to extreme situations, and at the same time critique our culture. He wants us to question 'our station' in society, and the station of our society itself. With urban & suburban backdrops that look like a Walmart and a Target smashed head first into each other at high speed, this first novel follows Officer Rick Grimes who wakes from a coma to find the world has fallen apart. As he searches for his wife and son, and struggles to help a camp of survivors stay safe, volume 1 sets the stage for an epic tale intended to follow Rick over the next years as he finds his way forward through the dark. ( )
  PastorBob | Apr 26, 2014 |
I've been an avid watcher of the television show based on these comics since it started. I was happy to find out that the show intentionally takes a different route from the comics, so as not to prevent people from reading them. I just finished this comic and will say that I am pleased with it. The characters are recognizable enough from the T.V. characters I'm used to and the story is oddly enough less frustrating and more fluid. I guess the television medium requires everything to be dramatic and drawn out. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the show. ( )
  Klp.Krista | Apr 6, 2014 |
Taking a well-worn genre—flesh-eating zombies overrun the world and the unlucky surviving humans must deal with the gruesome aftermath—and approaching it from a purely character-driven point of view propels this series into the spotlight from out of nowhere. This collection of the first six issues of the ongoing series opens with police officer Rick Grimes awakening from a gunshot-induced coma. From here, he's immediately dragged into a world where dangerous revenants are shambling amok without any sort of an explanation. From the moment Grimes comes to, it's a harrowing battle to avoid hordes of decomposing zombies and a hope-against-all-odds search for his missing family. Grimes makes his way to Atlanta, the nearest large city where there may be other living people, and events take several unexpected turns upon his arrival, as he meets up with a rural encampment of survivors. Of course, as in recent hit movies 28 Days Later... and Dawn of the Dead, the last humans may turn out to be as much a danger as the zombies. Forceful scripting that gives the book a strong grounding in reality, crisp b&w artwork, a shocking final sequence and brisk, gory proceedings elevate this book from the trash heap of pedestrian horror comics.

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, TonyArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rathburn, CliffColoristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Please do not combine with The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1, The Walking Dead Book 1 or The Walking Dead Volume 1 Deluxe HC. The "volumes" are trade paperbacks which collect 6 issues, while the "books" are hard covers which collect 12 issues, the "Deluxe HC" collects 24 issues and the "compendium" collects 48 issues.

An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living.

Police officer Rick Grimes is shot on the job and wakes up a month later to find that the world that he knows is gone. Zombies have taken over and are killing and eating those who are still alive. He sets out toward Atlanta in the hope that his family is still alive and endures many horrors along the way.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,821,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible