The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by…

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore (Illustrator)

Member:beniowa
Title:The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
Authors:Robert Kirkman
Other authors:Tony Moore (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2006), Edition: Volume 1, Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:Graphic Novel

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (2004)

English (75)  French (4)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (81)
I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead series, I just knew I had to check out the comic series that they were based on. It didn't disappoint.

It is the first time I have ever really read a comic and I LOVED it! It is a bit different then the TV show but I liked that cause it meant that I was surprised by some of the different storylines. The black and white artwork is amazing, and I don't think it would be the same if it was full colour.

I can't wait to read more in the series. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
I love the.zombie stories ( )
  jimifenway | Feb 2, 2016 |
This is even better the second time around. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jan 15, 2016 |
The first collection was every bit as good reading it now as when I read it way back in 2006. To believe this epic saga is still alive and well after nearly 10 years! ( )
  Joseph_Stelmaszek | Nov 29, 2015 |
Rick gets shot and goes into a coma. When he wakes up, zombies have taken over the world. He miraculously finds his family and they and several other survivors ban together to try and make it through the end of days. I love that they decided to do black and white illustrations, it really adds to the feel of the book and gives it the feel of a zombie movie. The author states in the introduction that he is trying to look into the human spirit and how it handles situations such as these. He has definitely succeeded. This is not another goofy zombie book. This book is all about how it's characters interact with each other and grow as people (or don't grow, as the case may be.) ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Taking a well-worn genre—flesh-eating zombies overrun the world and the unlucky surviving humans must deal with the gruesome aftermath—and approaching it from a purely character-driven point of view propels this series into the spotlight from out of nowhere. This collection of the first six issues of the ongoing series opens with police officer Rick Grimes awakening from a gunshot-induced coma. From here, he's immediately dragged into a world where dangerous revenants are shambling amok without any sort of an explanation. From the moment Grimes comes to, it's a harrowing battle to avoid hordes of decomposing zombies and a hope-against-all-odds search for his missing family. Grimes makes his way to Atlanta, the nearest large city where there may be other living people, and events take several unexpected turns upon his arrival, as he meets up with a rural encampment of survivors. Of course, as in recent hit movies 28 Days Later... and Dawn of the Dead, the last humans may turn out to be as much a danger as the zombies. Forceful scripting that gives the book a strong grounding in reality, crisp b&w artwork, a shocking final sequence and brisk, gory proceedings elevate this book from the trash heap of pedestrian horror comics.

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, TonyArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rathburn, CliffColoristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is not good.
Please do not combine with The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1, The Walking Dead Book 1 or The Walking Dead Volume 1 Deluxe HC. The "volumes" are trade paperbacks which collect 6 issues, while the "books" are hard covers which collect 12 issues, the "Deluxe HC" collects 24 issues and the "compendium" collects 48 issues.

An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living.

Police officer Rick Grimes is shot on the job and wakes up a month later to find that the world that he knows is gone. Zombies have taken over and are killing and eating those who are still alive. He sets out toward Atlanta in the hope that his family is still alive and endures many horrors along the way.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,122,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible