The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye by…

The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye (original 2004; edition 2006)

by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore (Illustrator)

Member:beniowa
Title:The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye
Authors:Robert Kirkman
Other authors:Tony Moore (Illustrator)
Info:Image Comics (2006), Edition: Volume 1, Paperback, 144 pages
Tags:Graphic Novel

The Walking Dead, Volume 1: Days Gone Bye by Robert Kirkman (2004)

English (68)  French (4)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (74)
Conocí esta novela gráfica a raíz de la emisión de la serie televisiva basada en ella, con las comparaciones que esto conlleva. La serie de la AMC empezó siendo SOBERBIA, y superaba con creces al formato original. A todos los niveles, además: caracterización,banda sonora, interpretación, ritmo narrativo... Hoy en día vaga moribunda, descompuesta y sin rumbo, como los muertos vivientes que la protagonizan.

Sin embargo, estoy aquí para dar mi opinión de los comics, que, aun sin ser una obra maestra, no están nada mal. El dibujo es genial, y la historia, aunque no es especialmente original, es adictiva. Pero no logran captar la atmósfera turbia de la serie en sus mejores momentos, ni su ritmo pausado: no se puede saborear bocado a bocado, pues la velocidad de los diálogos (un tanto simplones) y acontecimientos te conducen a un atracón.

Y ahora, si me disculpáis, me voy a seguir leyendo las desventuras de Rick y los suyos.
  L0r0 | Mar 22, 2015 |
I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead series, I just knew I had to check out the comic series that they were based on. It didn't disappoint.

It is the first time I have ever really read a comic and I LOVED it! It is a bit different then the TV show but I liked that cause it meant that I was surprised by some of the different storylines. The black and white artwork is amazing, and I don't think it would be the same if it was full colour.

I can't wait to read more in the series. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 20, 2015 |
Dear Zombie Readers,

If you are reading this review, I’m assuming you aren’t living under a rock (if you are living under a rock, can you please explain how you are receiving internet service? Might come in handy for the zombie apocalypse :D), and have watched or at least heard of The Walking Dead TV drama. If you have watched the show and have a hankering to read The Walking Dead comics there are a few things you should keep in mind . . .
1.The comics came first, so don’t get angry when you realize the curtains don’t match the drapes, so to speak.

As far as I can tell, none of the important events from the television show unfold accurately. Which is a bummer, because some of the events they changed were much more awesome in the comic. Except that . . .
2.Daryl doesn’t exist.

*sob* this makes me so sad, because while I couldn’t ever finish the series (too much drama, too little of the campy horror humor that I love so much), I did love me some Daryl. On the plus side, his asshat brother doesn’t exist, either. You win some, you lose some.
3.Zombies exist in the Walking Dead comics!

Unlike in the show and every other zombie apocalypse novel/movie I’ve ever read/watched, Kirkman isn’t afraid of the “z” word. . . I just wish the same goes for the show, because it’s a tad aggravating when the z word is the elephant in the room. Like zombie flicks aren’t weird enough that you have an enormous elephant into the room but to NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE IT!!!

It’s rather rude.

Poor elephant just want’s some attention.
4.You may cry when the horsie dies.

Remember that horse that somehow survives not being fed or “walker” bait while Rick was comatose to come to Rick’s rescue when he can’t find fuel? It was so freaking sad. And gruesome. Which I completely enjoy in horror . . . when it’s happening to people. Animals, not so much.

One awesome thing about this comic is how much attention Moore paid to every little exquisite detail. He is obviously an amazing artist, however, if you can’t handle gore, don’t read this novel. Because when it comes to all the gory details (yeah, I went there), he obviously spent some extra time on.

Which makes me question why Kirkman spends the introduction discounting The Walking Dead as horror, but that’s not important, so let’s move on.
5.If you thought The Walking Dead show was sad, you haven’t seen nothin’ yet.

I can’t explain why, but it is just so much sadder to read about the hopefulness and faith the characters’ have that the government will someday save them all with a cure and the zombies will just one day shake off the infection and return to their homes without a scratch.

I wish I had that kind of faith in our government. Heck, I’d probably blame the government before I put my faith in them to save the day.

❥ ❥ ❥

If I had to pick between The Walking Dead television show and The Walking Dead comics, I’ll probably always pick the comic. I learned more about the characters from one comic than I ever did in three seasons. I finally had answers about Rick, Lori, and Carl that were never answered. Hell, I finally got the full story on Jim, who didn’t even make it to the CDC! I also enjoyed not having as much drama, but that is sure to change in later volumes. *crosses fingers that it doesn’t* I didn’t even hate the loaded cliffhanger at the end, because it was freaking awesome! *hint*

Are you intrigued yet? I hope so! If anything, read the comics if you’re curious to see how they hold up to the show. If you don’t watch the show, but you’re a fan of horror and zombies, pick up a copy of The Walking Dead Vol.1: Days Gone Bye and see how you like it!

Zombie crazed and loving it,
☠One Evil Curvy Blogger

Read more reviews @ http://onecurvyblogger.com ( )
  One_Curvy_Blogger | Feb 9, 2015 |
You probably have to like comic books to get like this. In this one, zombies and people breasts or muscles do things that ordinary people with intact brains (living or dead) most likely wouldn't do, but given that there are idiots everywhere could be seen as realistic by a forgiving audience.

The artists don't look at women the way they do at men. Men have various looks and have diverse features, women have large breasts and make-up in spite of the apocalypse (no, female eyes don't naturally look like that). They can't draw fat women worth a damn, too, but, er, points for trying? I don't know. As mostly with comics you get 2D male characters and 1D female characters (with DD breasts, though).

That ought to explain the target audience and why I'm not it. ( )
  Mothwing | Jan 4, 2015 |
Since we are big fans of the show, I wanted to read the graphic novels that started it all. I'm not a fan of graphic novels. I'm enjoying them okay. I very much prefer the storyline in the tv series, compared to that of the novels. The written characters are hard and mostly uncaring. The characters in the AMC series are much easier to like. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Oct 1, 2014 |
Taking a well-worn genre—flesh-eating zombies overrun the world and the unlucky surviving humans must deal with the gruesome aftermath—and approaching it from a purely character-driven point of view propels this series into the spotlight from out of nowhere. This collection of the first six issues of the ongoing series opens with police officer Rick Grimes awakening from a gunshot-induced coma. From here, he's immediately dragged into a world where dangerous revenants are shambling amok without any sort of an explanation. From the moment Grimes comes to, it's a harrowing battle to avoid hordes of decomposing zombies and a hope-against-all-odds search for his missing family. Grimes makes his way to Atlanta, the nearest large city where there may be other living people, and events take several unexpected turns upon his arrival, as he meets up with a rural encampment of survivors. Of course, as in recent hit movies 28 Days Later... and Dawn of the Dead, the last humans may turn out to be as much a danger as the zombies. Forceful scripting that gives the book a strong grounding in reality, crisp b&w artwork, a shocking final sequence and brisk, gory proceedings elevate this book from the trash heap of pedestrian horror comics.

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, TonyArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rathburn, CliffColoristmain authorall editionsconfirmed
This is not good.
Please do not combine with The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1, The Walking Dead Book 1 or The Walking Dead Volume 1 Deluxe HC. The "volumes" are trade paperbacks which collect 6 issues, while the "books" are hard covers which collect 12 issues, the "Deluxe HC" collects 24 issues and the "compendium" collects 48 issues.

An epidemic of apocalyptic proportions has swept the globe, causing the dead to rise and feed on the living. In a matter of months, society has crumbled: There is no government, no grocery stores, no mail delivery, no cable TV. Rick Grimes finds himself one of the few survivors in this terrifying future. A couple months ago he was a small town cop who had never fired a shot and only ever saw one dead body. Separated from his family, he must now sort through all the death and confusion to try and find his wife and son. In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally begin living.

Police officer Rick Grimes is shot on the job and wakes up a month later to find that the world that he knows is gone. Zombies have taken over and are killing and eating those who are still alive. He sets out toward Atlanta in the hope that his family is still alive and endures many horrors along the way.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,852,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible