Strega Nona by Tomie DePaola

Strega Nona (1975)

by Tomie DePaola

English (223)  Polish (1)  All languages (224)
When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.
  CECC9 | Apr 16, 2019 |
I like this book very much and in my opinion, I think this book is appropriate for all ages. First, the author pushes the reader to understand there are consequences that follow after not following directions. In the book, Strega Nona warned Big Anthony multiple times, “do not touch the pasta pot,” but Big Anthony did not listen and touched her pot without her permission. The consequence Big Anthony faced was to eat all of the pasta the pasta pot made. Although the consequence Big Anthony faced is less severe than most consequences in real life, the idea of consequences is surely communicated to the readers. As adults and children, we must all know there are consequences behind every action we make. Thus, we should not act the way we want and not be considerate of others. Second, the rhythm and repetitive language used in the book caught my attention. The songs Strega Nona sang to the pasta pot are very catchy. When I used Storyline, Mary Steenburgen made the song even more appealing when she played an instrument along with the song. For young children, I think they would be very engaged in singing along. Lastly, the illustration help ties the moral of the story and text together. As the pasta pot continues to make more pasta, the illustrator made the pasta seem like huge waves, waves that can cover the entire town and swallow anything that crosses their path. Strega Nona is a children’s book that is worth both adults’ and children’s time to read and comprehend the message behind it. ( )
  wzuo1 | Mar 6, 2019 |
Strega Nona by Tommie de Paola is one of my favorite children's books from elementary school. de Paola won the Caldecott Medal, which is "the most distinguished American picture book for children", and it is easy to see why he won. These cartoon drawings are fairy-like yet realistic, there is just something about the illustrations that are reminiscent of childhood. Playful and innocent. The story is about Big Anthony, a tall man who is hired by Strega Nona, the village witch, to do some household chores, but on one condition. Anthony is not to touch the pot of noodles. Does he? Of course, he cannot resist touching the pot. This tale is a classic story of what happens when you don't listen and the consequences. I look forward to reading it in my class. ( )
  agreenwald | Jan 31, 2019 |
Enchanting not-quite-cartoonish illustrations, and engagingly told tale of the apprentice who disobeys and causes disaster, this time with a spaghetti pot that overflows and inundates the town, until "Granny Witch" gets it (and him) back under control. ( )
  librisissimo | Dec 17, 2018 |
This book is a cute story about how students need to listen to directions. This book has an emphasis that children need to listen to all of the instructions in order to complete and task correctly. This book can be very helpful lesson for teachers and parents. ( )
  JennySkvarna | Dec 3, 2018 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,199,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible