Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

3,3301911,632 (4.28)20
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

English (190)  Polish (1)  All languages (191)
This is a fantastic retelling of Strega Nona. Tomie de Paola's classic illustrations bring this comical folktale to life. While I do not know of another version of the story, i can not imagine reading another. ( )
  Chafkins | Oct 22, 2016 |
for assignment Children's Book Illustrators
  savannahgatesstacy | Oct 21, 2016 |
I really loved this book!
  makensiecowart | Oct 17, 2016 |
Strega Nona is a "grandma witch" back in old times who everyone goes to, much like a medicine woman, for all their problems. As Strega Nona ages though, she needs some assistance keeping up her house and her garden so she posts an ad in the townsquare for some help. Big Anthony responds to her ad. Strega Nona gives Anthony many tasks to do in exchange for payment, a place to sleep, and food...but she demands that he never touch the pasta pot. One day, Anthony discovers that the pasta pot is magic and cooks all on its own. He wants to share the news with everyone but no one believes him. Strega Nona had to leave town, and while she was gone Anthony took the opportunity to try the magic pot. It worked! And he was so excited that he invited the town to join in a pasta feast. Everyone applauded Anthony, but he forgot to blow the pot three kisses when he was done serving, and the pot began to overflow and wouldnt stop making pasta. Soon the pasta had spilled out the house and into the town. Strega Nona returned and blew three kisses for the pot to stop, but it was too late, the townspeople were very upset with big Anthony. They wanted to tie him up for his crimes, but Strega Nona had a better idea: She instructed that Anthony eat all the pasta until it was all cleaned up. And he did!

This books is fun and whimsical. It is old fashioned, which I think is a good topic to introduce small children to early on. The concept is very far fetched, but that's what makes it so fun. Since Strega Nona is a witch, I would think this would be a good book to read around Halloween time.

1) The award the book received:
- 1976 Caldecott Honor Book

2) An original description of the award:
- This medal is to be given to the artist who had created the most distinguished picture book of the year and named in honor of the nineteenth-century English illustrator Randolph J. Caldecott. The idea for this medal was also accepted enthusiastically by the Section for Library Work with Children of ALA and was approved by the ALA Executive Board.
The Caldecott Medal "shall be awarded to the artist of the most distinguished American Picture Book for Children published in the United States during the preceding year.

3) The book citation (APA format):
Paola, T. D. (1975). Strega Nona. New York, NY: S & S. ( )
  Megan_Ross | Oct 10, 2016 |
Strega Nona tells the story of an older woman named Strega Nona who is seen as a woman with some type of magical powers. She uses those powers to help others throughout the town. Because she was getting older, she enlisted a young boy named Big Anthony to help her make her remedies. One day he noticed her producing a large pot of pasta but didn't see the way she blew kisses in order to stop the pasta production. One day when her was left in charge, Anthony used the pot to produce pasta, but didn't know how to prevent it from overflowing, causing it to flood the town. Strega Nona then as punishment has Anthony eat all the of pasta he flooded the town with the ensure that his punishment is fair. This book was a good way to teach children that punishments need to be fair through a fun story with interesting visuals. The sketched out drawings allowed children to truly imagine the scenes going on, and the text itself blended right into the story, not too distracting while still not fading too much into the pictures. ( )
  MadeleineJones | Oct 3, 2016 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,817,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible