Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

3,4321951,572 (4.28)20
Member:duboislibrary
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

Recently added bycesdemo, private library

English (194)  Polish (1)  English (195)
I think this book would be perfect for a third or fourth grade class. It is a cute story of a boy who just could not keep out of other peoples business and the trouble that it can get him into. Also, I really appreciate the unique illustrations and design of this book. It is very visually appealing to children and adults alike. ( )
  MaryHannahSwan | Nov 10, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because the plot was organized and suspenseful. This book is about an elderly woman named, Strega Nona who houses a young boy named Big Anthony. She assigned him many chores to do in favor of a free place to stay. Her only rule was to never touch the magic pasta pot. It magically cooked pasta by itself and never stopped until someone blew three kisses. However, Big Anthony did not know this rule, and naturally was curious enough to tough the pasta pot. The pot kept making pasta and did not stop. The text states, "Stop!" yelled Big Anthony. But the pasta did not stop and if someone hadn't grabbed poor Big Anthony, the pasta would have covered him up. The pasta had all but filled the little house. Out of the windows and through the doors came the pasta and the pot kept on bubbling." The pasta covered the entire town until finally Strega Nona showed up and blew three kisses. Finally the pasta stopped cooking, but it was still all over the town. Strega Nona forced Big Anthony to eat all of the pasta in order to clean everything up. The big idea behind this book is that you should always follow the rules. ( )
  breannaamos | Nov 1, 2016 |
I enjoyed this story for two reasons. I liked this book because of the humor it has. For example, Strega Nona's helper is always getting into some sort of trouble. In one case he almost floods the town with pasta. The second reason I liked this book was because Strega Nona is represented as a "good witch". She helps the entire town with all of their problems and is widely loved. The big idea of this book is that even though someone helps everyone, they could help themselves one day. Strega Nona is so busy and tired from helping others; eventually she needs a helper too. ( )
  Kirstenwenzel | Oct 28, 2016 |
strega nona works in a town to help people with their problems. one day she lets a boy big anthony, into her home and work for her. she ends up using magic powers to make pasta in her pasta pot. one day she has to leave so she leaves big anthony in charge. he uses the pasta pot incorrectly and ends up having pasta all over the town. unlucky, strega nona comes back just in time to stop the pasta pot.
2 books
  TUCC | Oct 28, 2016 |
This is a fantastic retelling of Strega Nona. Tomie de Paola's classic illustrations bring this comical folktale to life. While I do not know of another version of the story, i can not imagine reading another. ( )
  Chafkins | Oct 22, 2016 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible