Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

Series: Strega Nona

Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

English (162)  Polish (1)  All languages (163)
I can see myself doing a fun activity with pasta for this book with my future classroom. This is a classic tale and I can see any and all children really enjoying reading this story of Strega Nona.
  ninaberger | Nov 20, 2015 |
illustrations are a classic, and book includes no dialogue so children are free to create their own story. Strega Nona is a story about an elderly woman who makes fantastic pasta, but one day she trusts her neighbor to cook the pasta and something goes terribly wrong! Strega Nona is a story that has been used for decades and will be used for years to come. An instant classic ( )
  Kaitlyn_Corbett | Nov 17, 2015 |
I liked this story because the plot evolves in a humorous way and the characters are believable and well-developed. The illustrations are captivating and vividly describe the details going on throughout the story.

Strega Nona is Calabria’s “grandma witch” and she is known for having the magic touch. She is growing old and is in need of assistance so Big Anthony steps up to help her out around the house. The plot of the story is that Strega Nona goes out of town and Big Anthony starts messing with her magic pasta pot. The pasta ends up boiling out of the pot and filling all of Calabria because Big Anthony does not know how to stop the pot. The plot is humorous because this is unlikely to happen in real life but the thought of pasta filling up a town is pretty silly. The book states that “out of the windows and through the doors came the pasta and the pot kept right on bubbling.” The illustrations accompany the text well because you can see how the house is filled with pasta and it is spilling out of the windows into the town. You can tell how much the town appreciates Strega Nona because throughout the book they always say “Oh, grazia – thank you, thank you Strega Nona!” Big Anthony is a curious character that gets himself into trouble for sticking his nose where it does not belong so he is punished by having to eat all the pasta he made in the magic pot.

The big message of the story is to always listen to the instructions given to you because they will keep you out of trouble. Elders usually know best and they do not say things just because they want to annoy you. ( )
  XiomaraGonzalez | Oct 27, 2015 |
This book is a great reminder to kids that it isn't right to take something that isn't yours, and if you do, you will have to live with the consequences. Unfortunately, Big Anthony didn't remember this, and ended up flooding the town with spaghetti! ( )
  stuhldryer | Oct 25, 2015 |
This book shows the importance of following directions and how if you do not, one may find themselves in a predicament that they cannot get themselves out of. The story was fun to read and I found myself interested in how the characters problem would be solved or if the whole town would be ruined.
  CatherineJoseph | Oct 25, 2015 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,880,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible