Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

Series: Strega Nona

Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

English (153)  Polish (1)  All languages (154)
Strega Nona hired Big Anthony and told him what his job entailed and one thing he never do, He must never touch the pasta pot and what does Big Anthony do when Strega Nona is away he touchs the pasta pot and of course things go awry. ( )
  A_Ozoglu | Sep 23, 2015 |
I enjoyed reading Strega Nona. I thought that it showed it's readers the importance of following directions. if someone who is wise tells you to do something or not to do something you should listen to them. Children reading this would be able to learn to follow directions ( )
  fmccas1 | Sep 22, 2015 |
Fun and nicely illustrated, a little long but would still be good for story time. A great talking point would be how the punishment should fit the crime. Big Anthony uses the magic pasta pot without permission and has to eat the pasta to clean it up. ( )
  alanbuffington | Sep 17, 2015 |
I thought Strega Nona was an excellent book that could be thoroughly enjoyed by readers of all ages. The book does an excellent job at introducing the reader to the characters at the beginning of the book especially when describing who Strega Nona was and what she did. The author also did a great job at describing how the rest of the town felt about Strega Nona in telling stories of the way the people would talk badly about her but would still go to her with all of their problems. The author adds a lot to the story by leading the reader toward what could happen next without giving too large of a hint that the book becomes obvious. One example of this is when Strega Nona hires Big Anthony to help her around the house and tells him to clean everything except her pasta pot because it is special and he can’t touch it. This lets the reader imagine all of the reasons that particular pot could be special.
I also felt the illustrations in Strega Nona were very well done. They complimented the story very well without taking from the story at all. I believe that part of the reason for this is the heavy use of descriptive language by the author that makes it very easy to picture the story. Overall I believe the greatest thing about this story is the abundance of lessons from the beginning to the end. These lessons include the value of obedience when Big Anthony did not obey Strega Nona and used the pasta pot. This story also taught children that it isn’t always a good idea to do things just because other didn’t believe us, especially when we know what we are doing it wrong. And the final lesson I believe is mercy because the rest of the town was set on hurting or killing Anthony because of what he did. Instead Strega Nona stepped in and told them that although he should be punished by cleaning up the pasta, he shouldn’t be killed. ( )
  ccarpe13 | Sep 16, 2015 |
Such a great story about a boy who didn't listen and wanted to take matters into his own hands. Definitely a story about consequences for your actions. Also, not judging too quickly based on age or looks. ( )
  gracelovera | Sep 8, 2015 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,694,754 books! | Top bar: Always visible