Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

Member:duboislibrary
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

English (179)  Polish (1)  All languages (180)
We aren't as huge Tomie dePaola fans as many people we know seem to be, but we did enjoy this book enough that it received multiple readings before we returned it to the library. My kids also enjoyed the Scholastic video that includes this story. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jul 22, 2016 |
A story with a lot of adventures specially about the pasta. Antony was cooking pasta and pasta keep growing and growing. ( )
  MarGood | Jun 9, 2016 |
Strega Nona is a book about a witch named Strega Nona who was getting old.She needed some one to take care of things for her.One day she left to see her friend.The person who was supos to take care of things was not supose to tuch the pasta pot but he did,and soon their was so much pasta that the town was abuot to get covered until Srega Nona came and stoped it.
I liked this book because it was funny that a town was almost covered in pasta.I think the author did a good job on the book. ( )
  CooperW8 | May 16, 2016 |
Strega Nona is a fun tale about a magical older woman that likes to assist her town. I enjoyed the story of Strega Nona because Big Anthony was a character that is as curious as many young readers. Anthony is told not to touch the magic pasta pot, but lo and behold, Big Anthony was too curious and touched the magic pasta pot and could not make the pasta pot stop making pasta! This book shows young readers how following and listening to directions is important, as well as consequences for their actions. I enjoyed the pictures in this book, and the color schemes were very effective in guiding a reader during reading. Overall, it was a very interesting book with elements of magic and humor. ( )
  Sdaile2 | May 2, 2016 |
I would use this as a read aloud for 1st through 3rd grade. By third grade, students could read it independently. As a read aloud though, you could guide students comprehension to a certain topic. I would use Strega Nona during a unit or study of folk literature. For 3rd grade, during the story, we would look at cause and effect. Students could get a good understanding of cause and effect because it's clearly laid out in the book. After reading, I would have students do a cause and effect activity. I would also have 3rd grade students look into the character traits of Strega Nona and Big Anthony. Then I would have them compare and contrast those traits to a different folk literature story. For 1st or 2nd grade, I would use it for a sequencing activity or a story map activity. As a class, we would complete either activity. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 14, 2016 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,459,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible