Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

Series: Strega Nona

Member:duboislibrary
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

English (142)  Polish (1)  All languages (143)
This book is great, but personally, I think it is too religious to have is a library in the classroom. The illustrations benefit the story. Strega Nona's description matches the illustration well. The illustrations of the pasta overflowing the city are fun to see because the reader can actually visualize the city being taken over with pasta. The plot is enticing for the reader to continue forward with the book. The beginning of the book describes how the magical pot is stopped with three kisses which Big Anthony did not see. This further leads to how he does not listen to Strega Nona and takes advantage of the magical pasta pot. The plot makes the reader want to continue to read. Lastly, the book pushes the reader to think about the big idea of this story: if you are told not to do something, it is for a reason. When students read this book, they may not think about the big idea for this book until after and thinking about it. It pushes the reader to listen to directions that are given to them and think about possible consequences. Overall, I like this book, but just not for teachers to have in their library. ( )
  ndange1 | Apr 5, 2015 |
I loved this book for a few reasons. For starters, I liked the message of the story, which is to listen and respect the wishes of someone who has authority, because if not, there could be consequences for every wrong action. I also really liked the illustrations in the story because I felt that they greatly enhanced the story. For instance, the illustrations showed the entire town nearly drowning in pasta because Big Anthony didn’t pay attention to his elder, who showed him how to stop the production of pasta by blowing kisses three times. These illustrations are very significant to enhance the message of the story, which is why I liked them. In addition, I liked the characters in the story because they made the tale entertaining. For instance, Strega Nona is some sort of witch doctor, which is very unique to the story because she is a good witch who helps the people of the village, rather than the cliché evil witch. For example, Strega Nona would cure the villagers’ headaches and would help single women find husbands. ( )
  akoches | Apr 5, 2015 |
The first in the Strega Nona series, this Strega Nona book tells the story of Big Anthony moving in with Strega Nona to help her around the house. He sees her make her pasta pot cook itself, and the song she sings to make it start cooking and stop cooking. BUT!!! He misses one essential ingredient to make the book stop cooking... He must blow three kisses at it! When Big Anthony makes the pot cook pasta when Strega Nona is gone, he tries to make it stop, but since he has missed the essential 3 kisses that need to be blown, the pasta begins to overtake the town. Upon Strega Nona's return, she stops the pot from cooking. The town wants to "string up" Big Anthony, but Strega Nona insists that the punishment must "fit the crime" and makes Big Anthony eat all the pasta so that she can sleep in her bed at night. ( )
  jlaurendine | Apr 4, 2015 |
I gave this book five stars because who doesn't love Tomie dePaola? I've used this book many times with my second graders. I've used it to teach inferring and figurative language skills. It's also a great book for teaching theme and main idea. Awesome book! ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |
This is the story of Strega Nona, a witch! It tells the story of how Anthony see Nona talking to her pot and tries to tell the town, but they don't believe him. While she is gone, he sneaks in and sings to the pot, but the trick is he doesn't know the song to make it stop. Nona catches him and gives him the consequence of now eating all the pasta.

Teaching Ideas: consequences ( )
  aehunter | Mar 3, 2015 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,555,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible