Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

Series: Strega Nona

Member:duboislibrary
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

English (129)  Polish (1)  All languages (130)
Strega Nona, which means Grandma Witch, is just that. She is a good witch though: she can cure a headache, give a woman a husband, and remove warts. Strega Nona is old and cannot do the things she used too. Strega Nona hires Big Anthony to do the things she can no longer do. Big Anthony sees Strega Nona one night singing to her magic pot. Big Anthony tries to tell all of the townspeople, but they all laugh at him. After Strega Nona leaves Big Anthony summons the magical pot, but he doesn`t know how to control it. Before everyone knows, there is pasta everywhere! Strega Nona comes home just in time and turns the spell off of the magical pot. As punishment Big Anthony has to eat all of the pasta. This is a classic! It can be read at anytime and students` will love it. ( )
  jpons | Sep 18, 2014 |
Summary
Strega Nona is a witch that lives alone in a small cottage in Italy. She cures all the townspeople of their ailments. She hires an assistant named Big Anthony and gives him strict instructions and what and what not to do. She tells him specifically to never touch the pasta pot. Big Anthony watched as Strega Nona made deliciously perfect pasta in that pot. When she leaves, Big Anthony makes pasta for everyone but never learned how to make the pasta stop flowing. Strega Nona gets back just in time to save him and stop the pasta.

Personal Reaction
This was definitely one of my favorites as a child. It has everything you would want in a fairy tale, not to mention Strega Nona's noticeably big nose. The book has this old world feel to it that makes it so attractive. An interesting life lesson about what happens when you don't do what you are told.

Classroom Extension
Have the kids think of a couple times when they didn't do what they were told and something funny or surprising happened to them in result. I would also have them write a short story using their imagination and this particular life lesson.
  sarah_desrosier | Sep 17, 2014 |
In this story, an old lady everyone called Strega Nona helps people who come to see her with their problems. She has a magic touch. She would help people with illness, made potions for people who wanted to get married, and she could get rid of warts. She was getting old so she needed help to keep up with her house and garden. A man named Big Anthony came to help her,. She told him to never touch the pasta pot because it is very valuable. One night, Anthony saw Strega Nona sing a song over the pasta pot. She told it to make pasta and it did. He knew it was a magic pot. Big Anthony went to the townspeople and told them what he had seen. They did not believe him. He said he would show them. Strega had to go to the mountains so he knew this would be the perfect time to show them. So they went to the house and he got the pasta pot working. The pot began to overflow. He was able to feed everyone. There was more than enough. So when everyone was full he said the song which he had seen Strega do. However, he did not see her blow three kisses. So the pasta pot did not quit making pasta.The pasta boiled over onto Strega's floor and starting going outside. Big Anthony tried to say the magic words again. He even tried to put a lid on but everything he tried did not work,. The pasta started to flow into the streets and down into the town. The townspeople were worried. Stregna came down from the mountain and saw what had happened. She sang the magic song and blew three kisses and the pot stopped making pasta. The town wanted Big Anthony to pay for what he had done. Stregna had a better idea. She said the punishment must fit the crime. She told Big Anthony he needed to start eating because she wanted to sleep in her bed tonight. So she gave him a fork and he started eating.

My reaction:
I enjoyed this book. I like how it teaches a lesson. She told him not to touch the pot and since he didn't listen he had to eat all that pasta.

Classroom extension ideas:

1. In the classroom, I would have all the students and myself form a circle sitting on the floor. I could teach the children a rhythm to clap at the same time and sing one of the rhythms from the book.

2. In the classroom, I could give all the students modeling clay and they can make their very own pasta pot.
  AmberDimmitt | Sep 6, 2014 |
Caldecott Honor Book. ( )
  root.katy | Jun 9, 2014 |
This is a classic Italian folklore about a “grandma witch” and a boy named Big Anthony. Big Anthony goes to work for Strega Nora and is told to never touch her pasta pot but can’t resist and almost ruins the town by overflowing the magical pot with pasta. Teaches a valuable lesson to obey what you are told because there could be bad consequences.
  AyannaMagee | Apr 30, 2014 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,716,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible