Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

3,5762011,476 (4.29)21
Member:duboislibrary
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

English (200)  Polish (1)  All (201)
Strega Nona is about a man named Big Anthony who decides to use a magic pot to make pasta... enough to almost drown the town he lives in. Big Anthony doesn't pay attention to the woman who hires him but notices her using a spell to make cooked pasta in a magic pot. He doesn't notice how she stops the pasta and hilarity ensues. This book is a good lesson teacher, as the main character learns a lesson in paying attention. ( )
  Ashleyville | Apr 24, 2017 |
This is a good lesson for listening to instructions while having funny illustrations and a story line. This story is a very good book for children to understand traditional tales, and the lessons that are used by fantastical events. I personally love this story, because I was very curious to see what Strega Nona was going to make the little boy do. The book is also funny because the woman teaches the young boy to listen by making him eat too much pasta, which is a creative way to cause someone to eat. This book is great a traditional fantasy for third and fourth graders. ( )
  aedwar14 | Mar 30, 2017 |
This would be a great book to teach children the importance of listening and staying out of people's business. The book had a great plot and is easy for kids to follow along since it is engaging and suspenseful. The illustrations are perfect for children as well as adults. ( )
  A_Whitney | Mar 22, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this book for three reasons. Firstly, the plot is very engaging and is suspenseful. For instance, I was on the edge of my seat when Big Anthony couldn't control the pasta pot and almost destroyed the town. I also enjoyed how the illustrations and language showed Italian culture. For example, they show traditional Italian arches and Palladio-like architecture, as well as words like, "si." Lastly, I enjoyed the lesson of the book. Anthony realized that it is important to listen to other peoples' wishes--especially those of his elders. This applies directly to life outside of the book, and can be used when a teacher has behavioral issues in the classroom. ( )
  kuhl2 | Mar 5, 2017 |
This book was about a witch called Strega Nona who could cure everyone in her town, with her magic powers. Then since she was getting older she hired someone for a job to come and help her. This was a boy called Anthony, one night as she was making the pasta in magic pot for dinner Anthony watched her since her magic song and he hoped that he would be able to get some pasta for himself. However, he missed the important part of the song which stopped the pot from making the magical pasta. So when he made pasta for himself it caused the pasta to explode all over the town. Finally Strega Nona came to the rescue and stopped the pasta pot so there was no more pasta. To help teach Anthony his lesson she made him eat all of the pasta that came out of the pot so he would learn never to do that again.
  BurgessMeredith | Feb 11, 2017 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,103,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible