Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

Series: Strega Nona

Member:duboislibrary
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

English (139)  Polish (1)  All languages (140)
I gave this book five stars because who doesn't love Tomie dePaola? I've used this book many times with my second graders. I've used it to teach inferring and figurative language skills. It's also a great book for teaching theme and main idea. Awesome book! ( )
  ramfam5 | Mar 15, 2015 |
This is the story of Strega Nona, a witch! It tells the story of how Anthony see Nona talking to her pot and tries to tell the town, but they don't believe him. While she is gone, he sneaks in and sings to the pot, but the trick is he doesn't know the song to make it stop. Nona catches him and gives him the consequence of now eating all the pasta.

Teaching Ideas: consequences ( )
  aehunter | Mar 3, 2015 |
In my opinion Strega Nona is a wonderful classic to be read to children. It provides a lesson as well as a fun mythical situation. The illustrations are great because they take up most of the page. Many times, children focus on the pictures in the story. However, there is a lesson to be learned. 'Don’t do something that you are told not to do'. The writing is spread out on the top of pages and in between pictures, which makes the story engaging to read. There is a bit of poetry and rhyme when Strega Nona sings her ‘magic song’ to cure the special pasta pot, “Bubble, bubble, pasta pot. Boil me up some pasta, nice and hot. I’m hungry and it’s time to sup. Boil enough pasta to fill me up.” Overall, I believe this is a fun and wonderful tale to share with children. ( )
  cfumai1 | Feb 23, 2015 |
Strega Nona has always been one of my favorite books as a child and still is to this day. Tomie DePaola is a great author as well as a writer and after reading a few of his other books, I have noticed he sometimes puts a series of illustrations on one page rather than just one. My favorite character in this book is the witch because of what she has Big Anthony when she found out he had disobeyed her. I also thought the spell Big Anthony had to recite to make the magic pot work was very catchy. This aspect of the story is great for young readers, especially if you are reading to them as a class. Rather than children just listening to the reader, they can interact with the story and recite the magic spell. The message behind this book is to never disobey someone who is older and wiser than you. In this story's case, Big Anthony was not a young child (unlike the book's audience). However, he went against the old and wise Strega Nona's word and decided to take it upon himself to use the magic pot while she was away. Big Anthony could have easily gotten away with using it, but he forgot to say the spell to make the pot stop boiling. This teaches kids that while they may think they know everything, they still need to respect their elder's wishes and not do things that they would not want them to do. Since Big Anthony had to eat all of the pasta that overflowed the town, Strega Nona teaches children that there are consequences behind every action!
  amanna2 | Feb 9, 2015 |
Evaluation/Review: Strega Nona is a charming read telling the magic of Grandma Witch and Big Anthony in the town of Calabria, Italy. Strega Nona's magic pot is the center of Big Anthony's attention, which taunts him to bring a pasta calamity to the town because he couldn't stay away from it! The book's beautiful angular illustrations are appealing and enticing to the reader.

In classroom: This story can be used to show the importance of following rules and directions, as well as consequences. This book also connects to an Italian folktale and can be used when discussing the culture.

Genre: fiction, folktale

Standards: RL.4.3 Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story 3. or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character’ s thoughts, words, or actions).

Classification: Fiction
  Nall0705 | Oct 26, 2014 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,251,586 books! | Top bar: Always visible