Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

Series: Strega Nona

Member:duboislibrary
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

English (135)  Polish (1)  All languages (136)
Evaluation/Review: Strega Nona is a charming read telling the magic of Grandma Witch and Big Anthony in the town of Calabria, Italy. Strega Nona's magic pot is the center of Big Anthony's attention, which taunts him to bring a pasta calamity to the town because he couldn't stay away from it! The book's beautiful angular illustrations are appealing and enticing to the reader.

In classroom: This story can be used to show the importance of following rules and directions, as well as consequences. This book also connects to an Italian folktale and can be used when discussing the culture.

Genre: fiction, folktale

Standards: RL.4.3 Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story 3. or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., a character’ s thoughts, words, or actions).

Classification: Fiction
  Nall0705 | Oct 26, 2014 |
Review: This book is a great one for use of traditional tales as it includes magic. In addition, it includes a witch. It also shows children that there are consequences when you do not listen to what you are told. The illustrations match very well with the story.

Summary: Big Anthony works for Strega Nona who is the grandmother witch. She helps people with all sorts of things and seems like a good woman. She asks Big Anthony for help tending the garden and house. Strega Nona has a pot that she sings to and it makes endless pasta for her. When she wants the pot to stop she blows three kisses and when she wants it to start, she sings to it. Strega Nona goes out of town and tells Big Anthony not to touch the pot. Eventually, Big Anthony figures out her secret and tries to make pasta for everyone. However, he can't stop the pot because he doesn't know how to blow kisses. The pot fills her house and then the town as well. Strega Nona finally returns and makes Big Anthony eat all of the noodles which he succeeds in. ( )
  LaurenValencour | Oct 8, 2014 |
This is a story about a witch, Strega Nona. Anthony sees Strega Nona singing to her magic pot and making pasta. Anthony tries to tell the townspeople but they don't believe him. While she is gone one day, he sneaks in and sings to the pot but doesn't know about the song she sings to make it stop. Strega Nona comes back and stops her magic pot and makes Anthony eat all the pasta as punishment.
I like this story because it is very creative and the illustrations are fantastic. It teaches a great lesson: if it's not yours, don't touch it.
I think this would be a great story for children ages 4-6 years old. I think they will find it funny(with all the pasta) and understand the underlying message or moral.
  samjanke | Oct 5, 2014 |
I loved reading this book. Strega Nona has a has a clear plot and believable characters. The plots conflict was clear to understand through the easy transitions within the text. The conflict in the story is that Anthony uses the pasta pot without permission and by doing this the pasta pot starts to overflow covering the town. The events leading up to the conflict are clear which makes it easy for the reader to comprehend what the conflict of the story is. One of the main characters, Anthony, was very believable. Before Strega Nona goes on her trip she specifically tells Anthony, whatever you do, do not touch my pasta pot. Anthony defies Strega Nona, which is believable because children defy their elders and do things they aren't suppose to do. The main message of the story is to follow the rules or there will be consequences. Anthony touched Strega Nona's pasta pot even though he was told not to. With the town filled with pasta, Strega Nona makes Anthony eat all the pasta until the town is cleared as his punishment. ( )
  Shardy2 | Sep 24, 2014 |
I liked this book for two reasons. One reason I liked this book was for the illustrations. I thought that it paired up really nicely with the story. For example, the pages where you can literally see the pasta burying the town really made the story come alive. Another reason I liked this book was for the plot. I really enjoyed how the story unfolded and I thought that Strega Nona being out of town and unable to help Big Anthony with the magic pasta pot made the story suspenseful. Overall, I think that the big message of this story is that you have to deal with the consequences of your actions. Since Big Anthony made the magic pasta pot overflow, he had to eat all of the pasta to make up for it. ( )
  akwon3 | Sep 24, 2014 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:20 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,376,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible