Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola

Strega Nona (original 1975; edition 2011)

by Tomie dePaola

3,1201671,806 (4.26)20
Member:duboislibrary
Title:Strega Nona
Authors:Tomie dePaola
Info:Little Simon (2011), Edition: Pap/Com, Paperback, 40 pages

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaola (1975)

English (166)  Polish (1)  All languages (167)
An old lady referred to as Strega Nona which meant "Grandma Witch", was talked and whispered about all over the town of Calabria. She was thought to have had a magic touch. As she grew even older, she needed help maintaining her home and garden. She put out a sign asking for help and one young man named Big Anthony went to see her. He got the job. He moved in and spent all of his time there. He was given one rule, never to touch her pasta pot. This pot really was magical. It produced tons of pasta and then stopped making pasta by Strega Nona simply singing her magical song. As the weeks went on, she had to leave town to visit a friend. Temptation struck and Anthony could not help but to try to use the pot. What Big Anthony did not know was that to get the pasta to stop cooking, Strega Nona had to blow three kisses to the pot. As time went on, Anthony had the entire town covered in pasta. It did not end until Strega Nona returned. The town wanted to harshly punish him but Strega Nona suggested that his punishment would be to eat all of the pasta that he produced. He would never make the mistake of touching her pot again.
The illustrations in the book add a lot to the story line. The pictures describe the what is going on very well. It is amazing that the way the Tomie dePaola depicts the characters, is exactly how one would imagine them looking like in real life. I also really enjoy being able to tell exactly what the characters are thinking but simple lines drawn for expressions. I can tell what each town member, Strega Nona, and Big Anthony are thinking by just the way their eyes and mouths are drawn. ( )
  jmistret | Jan 28, 2016 |
I like the entertaining magical pasta pot motif and the exaggeration of pasta flooding a village, in this story. This story also includes useful messages about following directions and attending to details, along with others. I think students would enjoy the story line more than the illustrations due to the repetition in the pictures and the dated time period, but regardless, they would definitely be able to determine lessons from the story make connections to the lessons.
  brynnschaal | Jan 16, 2016 |
Good read about following directions. Strega Nona specifically told Big Anthony to not touch the magic pot, but he wanted to be a hero and make his own noodles from the pot. Except, he did not know how to stop it. Therefore, his consequence was to eat all the pasta that came out of the pot. There are also Spanish words in there. It would be a great story for students to create a play out of.
  KyleeO | Dec 3, 2015 |
Strega Nona was known for her magical touch. She could cure a headache, get rid of warts, and create a special potion for girls to find a husband. When big Anthony comes to work for her, she warns him not to touch her magical pasta pot, but he doesn't listen. Big anthony takes the pot and makes pasta for everyone in the town, but he misses one important step to the spell that makes the pot stop cooking. It is then up to Strega Nona to save the town from the pasta. I loved this story and the positive message it sends, to simply listen and follow instructions. ( )
  ashleypierce | Nov 30, 2015 |
I can see myself doing a fun activity with pasta for this book with my future classroom. This is a classic tale and I can see any and all children really enjoying reading this story of Strega Nona.
  ninaberger | Nov 20, 2015 |
For Franny and Fluffy
In a town in Calabria, a long time ago there lived an old lady everyone called Strega Nona, which meant "Grandma Witch."
Although all the people in town talked about her in whispers, they all went to see her if they had troubles.
She could cure a headache, with oil and water and a hairpin.
"All right, Anthony, you wanted the pasta from my magic pasta pot," Strega Nona said, "and I want to sleep in my little bed tonight. So start eating."

This book is good for teaching students to listen to what people tell you or things can happen.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671666061, Paperback)

Eric Carle and Tomie dePaola: Author One-on-One

Eric Carle is the creator, author, and illustrator of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and many other children’s books. Tomie dePaola is the author and illustrator of Strega Nona: Her Story and countless other books. They recently had a conversation about their careers as picture book authors. Eric Carle

Tomie dePaola: When I was only four years old, I announced to my family in particular and to the world in general that I was going to become an artist, and write stories and draw pictures for books. I never swayed from that early declaration. I’ve always been curious to know, what inspired you to become a creator and illustrator of picture books?

Eric Carle: My career began as a graphic designer and for a number of years I worked as an art director for an advertising agency in New York. In the mid 1960's Bill Martin, Jr. saw an ad of a red lobster that I had designed and asked me to illustrate his Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Well, I was set on fire! I was so inspired by this book, and the opportunity to illustrate it changed my life. After that, I started to create my own books, both words and pictures, and really it was then that I had found my true course in life.

Now, I have a question for you, Tomie. How would you describe your artistic style, and has it changed over time?

Tomie dePaola: My illustration style is heavily influenced by folk art--strong simple shapes, bold lines, color, color, color and a deceptive simplicity. My style began to develop early in art school, and through the years, it hasn’t changed very much, but it has refined itself. How would you describe yours?

Eric Carle: My aim with my work is to simplify and refine, be logical and harmonious. I like to use simple shapes, bright colors and a lot of white space. I write for the child inside of me. That is always where I begin.

Tomie dePaola Tomie dePaola: I do, as well. The only audience I keep in mind is that four-year-old in me. People sometimes ask me what advice I would give to young artists. I always think of the wonderful advice I received from my twin cousins when they were in art school in the late '30s. They told me, “Practice, practice, practice and don’t copy.”

Eric Carle: I often tell people about the four magic letters: DO IT. I want to be encouraging but I can only offer the example of my own experience, which is just one approach. There are many wonderful artists to learn about, which is important. But you must use your own imagination. You have to just do it.

Tomie dePaola: How do you feel knowing that a copy of The Very Hungry Caterpillar is sold every 30 seconds, somewhere in the world?

Eric Carle: It is hard for me, maybe for others too, to grasp this concept. But I am truly honored that my story is enjoyed by so many and that it is now being shared by a generation of parents who grew up with my book. How about your Strega Nona. She is one of your most popular characters. Can you share how she came to be?

Tomie dePaola: In the ‘70s when I was teaching at a college, we were required to attend faculty meetings. I always sat in the back with a yellow legal pad. Everyone thought I was taking notes. At one meeting a doodle appeared of a little lady with a big nose and a big chin. I named her Strega Nona, and the rest is history. Speaking of history, how will you be celebrating the third annual Very Hungry Caterpillar Day this year?

Eric Carle: On The Very Hungry Caterpillar Day, March 20th, I will probably be at home with my wife, Bobbie (I am a bit of a hermit, actually). But I will be saying a little toast to the caterpillar for whom I have a special place in my heart. And speaking of holidays, isn’t your favorite holiday Christmas. Do you have a special Christmas memory?

Tomie dePaola: Christmas is my favorite holiday. My favorite Christmas was the one when I received tons and tons of art supplies: everything from an easel to paints, pads and pads of paper, and “how to draw” books.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:51 -0400)

When Strega Nona leaves him alone with her magic pasta pot, Big Anthony is determined to show the townspeople how it works.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,179,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible