The Women Who Dared: To Break All the Rules…

The Women Who Dared: To Break All the Rules

by Jeremy Scott

921,359,109 (3.5)None

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of this book from LT's early reviewers program.

I mostly enjoyed Jeremy Scott's book "The Women Who Dared: To break all the rules" (which actually means they had forward-thinking ideas for their time about sex mainly.) Scott profiles six women who did not conform to the ideas of their times.

The strongest profile was the first on Victoria Woodhull -- the first woman who ran for president in the United States. She was also a bit of a shyster, as well as a newspaper publisher and (along with her sister) was the first female stock broker. I'd absolutely love to read a more extensive biography of her, just based on Scott's presentation here.

Not all of the other profiles were as strong... I feel like I read more about Edwina Mountbatten's husband than the woman herself, though the information that was actually her was certainly interesting.

Overall, this was a pretty fun look at some strong women. ( )
  amerynth | Jan 16, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was unfamiliar with the lives of the six women featured in this book and was quite surprised by the extremes in which they lived and (sometimes) thrived. Divorce, death, drugs, alcohol, illness, adultery, poverty and theft were a part of many of the women’s existence. I found it interesting to get a glimpse of the historical and social details at the time these women lived, but I found much of the content to be overwhelming and depressing. This book was probably not a good fit for me. Were we supposed to admire these women? I couldn’t help but feel sorry for them.
  themagiciansgirl | Jan 15, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jeremy Scott's book Women Who Dared is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,681,604 books! | Top bar: Always visible