Nine Last Days on Planet Earth: A Tor.com…

Nine Last Days on Planet Earth: A Tor.com Original (original 2018; edition 2018)

by Daryl Gregory (Author)

207781,085 (3.62)2
When the seeds rained down from deep space, it may have been the first stage of an alien invasion--or something else entirely. How much time do we have left, and do we even understand what timescale to use? As a slow apocalypse blooms across the Earth, planets and plants, animals and microbes, all live and die and evolve at different scales. Is one human life long enough to unravel the mystery? Nine Last Days on Planet Earth is a Tor.com Original from the award-winning science fiction author Daryl Gregory. At the Publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management Software (DRM) applied.… (more)
Member:tamarack804
Title:Nine Last Days on Planet Earth: A Tor.com Original
Authors:Daryl Gregory (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2018), 42 pages
Rating:*****

Nine Last Days on Planet Earth: A Tor.com Original by Daryl Gregory (2018)

Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for this e-book. Big Bad is the first book I have read by Christian Galacar and it will not be my last. This book is a mystery with many different twists. It keeps going back in time to when two sisters (Emma & Molly) were growing up and to the present on a small island in the eastern coast. The writer keeps you in suspence throught the entire book with the reader trying to figure out how everthing ties together. I was hooked from the first page and stayed hooked till the end. An excellent read. I will now look for other books by Christian who I hope brings Emma back. A 5 plus novel for me. ( )
  tamarack804 | Nov 8, 2019 |
Slo-mo alien invasion story where the aliens are plants. Riffs on The Day of the Triffids.
  Maddz | Aug 31, 2019 |
A science fiction novellete about alien seeds arriving on Earth that are potentially foreshadowing an alien invasion. The story follows a man's life at a different points. It is a good story that focuses more of finding yourself. ( )
  renbedell | Aug 4, 2019 |
The idea of following a character over a lengthy period by describing selected periods in their life many years apart is hardly a new one. I used it myself in a story that was published in a literary magazine (although the story was science fiction). Gregory makes good use of it here in his description of an invasion of Earth by alien “invasive” plant species. And it works, because the alien plant is integrated into the life of the narrator. I don’t have a problem with episodic narratives, whether they have a clear through-line or not; and ‘Nine Last Days on Planet Earth’ certainly has a clear through-line. The story opens in 1975 and ends in 2028. The author was apparently ten in 1975 (he’s a year older than me), so it’s unlikely he remembers enough about the year to do a good job of evoking it. And so it proves. (Of course, 2028 is nine years in the future, so how is he supposed to “remember” it?) But this is not a story that bothers much with time or place, using labels to signal setting to the reader. It doesn’t actually matter that much, because the narrative is chiefly focused on LT’s relationship with his partner and their life together. ‘Nine Last Days on Planet Earth’ I thought slow to start, but once it got going it was pretty good reading. I liked its episodic narrative, I liked its central relationship, and I liked the way it linked the alien plant to the relationship. Often, genre stories literalise metaphors, or are based around thumpingly obvious metaphors of their premise. ‘Nine Last Days on Planet Earth’ falls into the latter category, but it doesn’t make a meal of its metaphor, and leaves it sufficiently open to interpretation. It’s nice to see some restraint. ( )
  iansales | Aug 1, 2019 |
I liked this use of vignettes to piece together a story, sometimes painful, sometimes heartwarming. ( )
  lavaturtle | Jul 4, 2019 |
On the first night of the meteor storm, his mother came to wake him up, but LT was only pretending to sleep.
Words were not required. Sometimes the only way you could tell someone you loved them was to show them something beautiful. Sometimes, he thought, you have to send it from very far away.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,527,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible