Ride: The Search for TK by Bobbi J. G. Weiss

by Bobbi J. G. Weiss

1271,099,087 (3.17)None

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won a copy of this book from Library Thing as part of their early reviewers program. I would have been totally into this series as a horse-mad 10 - 14 year old. A slightly different updated take on boarding school books that have been around for a while, however unlike the Harry Potter books, I did not find that this was that enjoyable as an adult reader. ( )
  Jane-Phillips | Jan 14, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free advanced copy of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers giveaway in exchange for an honest review.
The tween girl in me really enjoyed this book. It’s a series I would have read in upper elementary or middle school. The center of the book is the story of Kit who has moved with her father after her mother dies, from a American ranch out west to an English boarding school that focuses on training students to ride horses. We learn that Kit is not the best rider, but she was getting comfortable riding on a certain horse named TK. Turns out that Kit was the only one that could ride TK and because he was such a hard horse to train the head of the school sold TK to another stable. Kit’s goal in the book is to find TK and she gets her friends at the school to help her. While the story is very formulaic (girl deals with moving to a new place, finding her horse, having a crush on a boy and handing a mean girl) it’s enjoyable and I’m sure there’s many upper elementary and middle school students (especially those that love horse stories) that would want to read it.
This book is the third in a series, but you don’t need to read the first two to understand the story. Apparently, the book is based on a TV show and I’m sure fans of the show would also want to read it. I ended up putting the series on the order list for the middle school library where I work. ( )
  nicholsm | Jan 8, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ride: The Search for TK is the third book in a series. This installment follows Kit, a young American girl who goes to an equestrian school in England, as she searches for the horse she recently learned to ride. It is a young adult novel, and for me, an easy read. I will admit, I did not read the first two books, nor have I watched the Nickelodeon show, but the author does a surprisingly good job of recapping the prior books. Normally, this might be annoying to me as a reader, especially if I did read the other books, but as I do not have that prior knowledge, it kept me from feeling too lost.

I could tell the book was made for a TV show because it moved quickly and in small sections of text much of the time. I think this helped me to be more interested in the characters because it kept my attention. The ending does not tie up all the loose ends (actually, it creates a few more loose ends), but this is clearly an on-going series, so the goal is to get you to keep reading. While I don't think I will go out to find the other books in the series, I would recommend it to anyone reading at a YA level who loves horses, or who loves the TV series.

*I was given a complimentary copy of this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  GayleRiedel | Jan 1, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This young adult story is exactly the kind of book I would have read as a young teenager. It is perfect for any horse-crazy teen (especially girls) who wants a decent story. I can identify with Kit’s love for TK as I was a heartbroken teen when my favorite horse at a local stable was sold.

This third installment of a series is the first I have read. It is based on a television series which I have never watched. It can be easily read as a standalone, but I think reading the previous ones may fill in helpful background details that the reader does not learn in this book. I also was a bit unhappy that it has a cliffhanger ending.

However, the book is an easy and pleasant read that I believe is well suited to the target audience.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through a giveaway at LibraryThing.com. No review was required or promised, and the opinions here are entirely my own. ( )
  catchat | Dec 28, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the 3rd book in the series. It could be read standalone. I would recommend it for younger readers who are interested in horses. The story is a bit jumpy and the characters seem to change rapidly for no apparent reason (other than that they are teenagers). That said, it is an easy read and has a decent storyline (as per the title, the search for TK, the horse).
  LoamParticle | Dec 23, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Bobbi J. G. Weiss's book Ride: The Search for TK is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,687,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible