The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

The Hiding Place (1971)

by Corrie ten Boom

Other authors: Elizabeth Sherrill (Author), John Sherrill (Author)

Need to reread this soon! I loved this book when I was 12! ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
It's not as engaging or dramatic as [b:The Diary of Anne Frank|7864897|The Diary of Anne Frank, New Edition (Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations)|Harold Bloom|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1392797531s/7864897.jpg|11024007], but still a must read. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
wow; this family blew me away; truly amazing people and i found i new love for people and have realized i was falling way short with how God wants me to love! ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
This book is an autobiography. Corrie Ten Boom grew up in Haarlem, Holland, in a house above her father's watchmaker shop, with her mother, father, sister, and aunts. She was in her late 40s/early 50s when World War II happened. She was a big part of an underground to help Jews hide, including hiding some in their own home. She did get arrested and spent some time in prison, then was moved to Ravensbruck, a concentration camp in Germany.

I liked the different perspective of this book about the Holocaust. I had no idea how elaborate the system was to try to keep Jews as safe as possible. Not being a religious person, though, it got to be a bit much with the prayer and preaching, especially in Ravensbruck, so I wasn't crazy about that part of the book. I was most interested in the first half of the book, before Corrie was arrested. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 20, 2017 |
Such a great story of faith in the fire. Really respect Corrie for following Christ in the face of evil. The themes of love, forgiveness, trust in God, divine providence and care, suffering and redemption run through this book. I was also impressed with how ecumenical these evangelical sisters were. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |

ten Boom, CorrieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, ElizabethAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, JohnAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wellman, SamAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind—sun or fog?
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind - sun or fog? Usually it was fog in January in Holland, dank, chill, and gray. But occasionally - on a rare and magic day - a white winter sun broke through.
I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.

“Love is the strongest force in the world.”
― Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place

The Hiding Place is a true story about a family of Christian watchmakers during World War II. The main character, Corrie ten Boom, accounts the heart-gripping story of how she and her family were arrested and taken to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany for hiding Jews in their house. This story is extremely sad, yet hopeful at the sametime. It is filled with hope because Corrie ten Boom tells how she put her faith in God and how he got her through the most difficult and inscrutiating times. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me hope and showed me that if someone could have faith in God to get them through a Nazi concentration camp, then I can at least have faith in God to get me through my meager day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553256696, Mass Market Paperback)

“I pray that God forgive them...”

Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner. “Oh, the poor woman,” Corrie cried. “Yes. May God forgive her,” Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed.

Both woman had been sent to the camp for helping the Jews. Christ’s Spirit and words were their guide; it was His persecuted people they tried to save—at the risk of their own lives; it was His strength that sustained them through times of profound horror.

Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ’s message and the courage woman who listened and lived to pass it along—with joy and triumph!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland and her family who helped hide Jewish people. The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland & her family who helped hide Jewish people. Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner."Oh, the poor woman," Corrie cried."Yes. May God forgive her," Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed. Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ's message and the courageous woman who listened and lived to pass it along -- with joy and triumph!… (more)

Chosen Books

An edition of this book was published by Chosen Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,003,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible