The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

The Hiding Place (original 1971; edition 1974)

by Corrie Ten Boom, John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill

Other authors:John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill
Info:Spire Books (1974), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (Author) (1971)

English (96)  All (1)  German (1)  All (98)
Such a great story of faith in the fire. Really respect Corrie for following Christ in the face of evil. The themes of love, forgiveness, trust in God, divine providence and care, suffering and redemption run through this book. I was also impressed with how ecumenical these evangelical sisters were. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
For more reviews, visit my virtual bookstore at kismetbookstore.weebly.com.

This is a memoir about Corrie Ten Boom, whose family hid Jews in their house to keep them out of concentration camps. Sounds like an ordinary WWII book? It’s not.

Of all the books that have ever inspired me, this ranks as #1. Corrie doesn’t just tell a story; she weaves in messages about endurance, gratitude, self-sacrifice, optimism, and – believe it or not – forgiveness. (The woman was a saint). She makes life beautiful in even the ugliest places.

By the time I finished reading her book of selflessness and bottomless love, I felt compelled to give away everything I own. I didn’t, but the compulsion was definitely there. Instead, I give away copies of her book whenever I get the chance; I need to just buy ten of them now so I can have a ready stock on my bookshelf.

The book is a Christian book, which I liked because she uses Jesus as a model of how to emulate Christ-like behavior. Without his influence in her life, she would not have been the same person and this would not have been the same book. However, her experiences are so universal that this book would appeal to anyone. ( )
1 vote Teralyn | May 5, 2017 |
A wonderful, salt-of-the earth clockmaking family doesn't think twice about saving Jews during the Nazi occupation of their town of Haarlem, Holland. Corrie, Betsie, Willhelm and Nollie were brought up by the ten Booms, positive parents who read and practiced bible teachings. Kind, sweet, generous and caring they often sacrificed to help others.

Corrie and Willhelm along with others create and manage an underground system to provide shelter, food and transport for targeted Jews. They save many until an informer changes their lives but not their integrity and character.

So glad I discovered and read this gem about true goodness and selflessness. Read this and be moved and inspired. ( )
1 vote Bookish59 | Mar 23, 2017 |
This bestselling memoir is an unforgettable true account of Corrie’s life during WWII. She will take you on an inspiring faith-filled journey as she trusts in God’s strength to lead her through a very difficult time in her life.

This book had a huge impact on my life, even though I read it several years ago. Not many books make such an impression on me, but this is a biography of a woman that survived the Holocaust. An incredible affirmation of the human spirit.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 21, 2017 |
Corrie Ten Boom's testimony of the extraordinary sacrifice this Christian family made to protect their Jewish neighbors is one of the most popular books of this terrible time in History. There are spark notes and study guides that go along with the book, and many many summaries on line. However it is a book I have often read since the 6th grade when it was assigned to me. We were required to do a "hiding place" exercise with the book to understand how the people hidden within the family home felt. Still a wonderfully memorable time for me, and wow, we were trying to get out after one day. (We had to do it for a long weekend, a three day weekend) Additionally we did not have the cramped spaces that these people had to live and we did not get taken to a concentration camp after our three days hiding.
From her own words this woman who lost her entire family to the Jewish persecution explains how the Christian families watchmaker home was modified to hide their Jewish neighbors before they could move them in the underground. Corrie notes that she was taught that The Christian God is a shield for His children as a young child Corrie notes that her father read to her Psalm 119:114, “Thou art my shield and my hiding place."
This is what inspired the creation of the hiding place for their neighbors. Corrie relates how her love for a man gets turned to a love for her God because her fiancee does not marry her Through Corrie’s heartbreak, she decides to give her love for Karel (her fiancee, who breaks off the engagement and her heart to God instead.
The purpose of the book is to express how the Ten Booms begin housing Jews until they can find them safe homes in the country.
The story gives the full history of the moments that make up the extraordinary underground that saved many European Jews to get them to safety. Corrie learns and develops a network of sources, However, one of her neighbors who is threatened repeatedly by the gestapo lets it be known that the Ten Boom family made up of the Father, Corrie and her beloved sister Betsie are helping Jews. They bring a false Jew who pretends to be seeking help, and the Ten Boom's are caught. The three are taken in and it is to much for the father and he soon dies while Corrie is in solitary confinement. The girls are taken to two different concentration camps Betsie and Corrie are taken to Ravensbruck, where they receive deplorable treatment. While there Corrie recounts some miracles that are evidence of the intimate love her God has for her. One involves their getting terrible colds as they were not given warm clothes to wear. Corrie prays to God that she and her sister may have a handkerchief to rub their dripping noses. One of the people who works in the laundry area comes to the women and says " God told me to give you a handkerchief. I have had very personal miracles like this myself. The sisters endure grueling physical labor, unhygienic conditions and cruelty. She notes that when they are called before sunrise everyday to stand for hours in roll call without warm enough clothes that she would keep her eyes on birds that landed above their heads. She gives this advice to all those around her. The search for their friendly birds help them in their long cold standing without warm clothes during roll call. She spends her time in the cramped buildings telling people about heaven and her God's way to heaven. She watches her beloved Betsie get more and more weak and ill. The women pray for one another When Betsie's strength fails, she goes to hospital where she dies. Corrie is heartbroken, although she realizes that Betsie is free from cruelty now. Corrie's own release comes shortly after because of a clerical error. On January 1st 1945, Corrie leaves Ravensbruck. Corrie Ten Boom then goes on to have an inspirational ministry. This book is timely for the present problems of immigrants fleeing the Middle Eastern wars. It can explain the rabbis arrests today as they fight xenophobia, as their have ancestral memories of such atrocities during World War II ( )
  Tarasusan | Feb 7, 2017 |

ten Boom, CorrieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, ElizabethAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, JohnAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wellman, SamAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind—sun or fog?
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind - sun or fog? Usually it was fog in January in Holland, dank, chill, and gray. But occasionally - on a rare and magic day - a white winter sun broke through.
I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.

“Love is the strongest force in the world.”
― Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place

The Hiding Place is a true story about a family of Christian watchmakers during World War II. The main character, Corrie ten Boom, accounts the heart-gripping story of how she and her family were arrested and taken to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany for hiding Jews in their house. This story is extremely sad, yet hopeful at the sametime. It is filled with hope because Corrie ten Boom tells how she put her faith in God and how he got her through the most difficult and inscrutiating times. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me hope and showed me that if someone could have faith in God to get them through a Nazi concentration camp, then I can at least have faith in God to get me through my meager day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553256696, Mass Market Paperback)

“I pray that God forgive them...”

Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner. “Oh, the poor woman,” Corrie cried. “Yes. May God forgive her,” Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed.

Both woman had been sent to the camp for helping the Jews. Christ’s Spirit and words were their guide; it was His persecuted people they tried to save—at the risk of their own lives; it was His strength that sustained them through times of profound horror.

Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ’s message and the courage woman who listened and lived to pass it along—with joy and triumph!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland and her family who helped hide Jewish people. The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland & her family who helped hide Jewish people. Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner."Oh, the poor woman," Corrie cried."Yes. May God forgive her," Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed. Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ's message and the courageous woman who listened and lived to pass it along -- with joy and triumph!… (more)

Chosen Books

An edition of this book was published by Chosen Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,375,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible