The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

The Hiding Place (original 1971; edition 1974)

by Corrie Ten Boom, John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill

Member:casanders2015
Title:The Hiding Place
Authors:Corrie Ten Boom
Other authors:John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill
Info:Spire Books (1974), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (1971)

The story of Carrie ten Boom and her family who, during the Nazi invasion and occupation of Holland, became leaders in the Dutch Underground hiding Jewish people in their home in a specially built room and aiding their escape from the Nazis.
  kristi_test_01 | Apr 15, 2015 |
I never truly felt empathy with Corrie and Betsie. IMHO, ten Boom wrote without emotion. For 250 pages to cover primarily 8 ish years, there was too much hopping, skipping and jumping through time. Hooray for all those that Corrie and Betsie helped in the work and concentration camps and afterwards in Bloemendaal and Beje, but the storytelling didn't match with their generous hearts, good deeds and suffering they endured. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
I read this back in 1996. I'd never heard of it. I was staying at a hostel/B&B in Harlaam (Netherlands) and it was on the bookshelf in the room.

Every once in awhile, I would stop reading and look around the room, thinking about how THIS house that I was staying in was being lived in - and was just across the river - while the ten Booms were hiding Jews. I was interested in going to visit the museum/watchmaker's where "the hiding place" was, but they were closed at the time.

jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |
I loved this book. In 2007 Craig and I were fortunate to visit the home in Amsterdam (actually in Haarlem, near Amsterdam) where the story took place. ( )
  anitatally | Feb 3, 2015 |
I was a young teenager when I was first introduced to this story. It was still commonplace to find religion in the public school system, and the film was shown to everyone in my high school, and the book read in some English classes. I loved it. For years I fantasized about how and where I would hide people who would die without my help and complicity, and wondered how brave I would be under similar circumstances. It was a story that affected my personal growth to a great degree.

As an adult re-reading the book, I confess myself a little disappointed, but still in awe of the courage of the family. What disappointed me was the same thing that fascinated me as a youngster: then I found the easy faith of the ten Boom family comforting and empowering; as an embittered 50-year old I found the same virtue of faith cloying and simplistic. It is I, and not the book, which has changed.

Still, it's definitely praiseworthy and recommended. ( )
  ahef1963 | Oct 25, 2014 |

Boom, Corrie tenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, ElizabethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wellman, SamAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind—sun or fog?
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind - sun or fog? Usually it was fog in January in Holland, dank, chill, and gray. But occasionally - on a rare and magic day - a white winter sun broke through.
I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.

“Love is the strongest force in the world.”
― Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place
The Hiding Place is a true story about a family of Christian watchmakers during World War II. The main character, Corrie ten Boom, accounts the heart-gripping story of how she and her family were arrested and taken to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany for hiding Jews in their house. This story is extremely sad, yet hopeful at the sametime. It is filled with hope because Corrie ten Boom tells how she put her faith in God and how he got her through the most difficult and inscrutiating times. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me hope and showed me that if someone could have faith in God to get them through a Nazi concentration camp, then I can at least have faith in God to get me through my meager day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553256696, Mass Market Paperback)

“I pray that God forgive them...”

Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner. “Oh, the poor woman,” Corrie cried. “Yes. May God forgive her,” Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed.

Both woman had been sent to the camp for helping the Jews. Christ’s Spirit and words were their guide; it was His persecuted people they tried to save—at the risk of their own lives; it was His strength that sustained them through times of profound horror.

Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ’s message and the courage woman who listened and lived to pass it along—with joy and triumph!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:30 -0400)

The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland and her family who helped hide Jewish people. The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland & her family who helped hide Jewish people. Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner."Oh, the poor woman," Corrie cried."Yes. May God forgive her," Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed. Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ's message and the courageous woman who listened and lived to pass it along -- with joy and triumph!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,569,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible