The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

The Hiding Place (original 1971; edition 1974)

by Corrie Ten Boom, John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill

Other authors:John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill
Info:Spire Books (1974), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (Author) (1971)

I read this back in 1996. I'd never heard of it. I was staying at a hostel/B&B in Harlaam (Netherlands) and it was on the bookshelf in the room.

Every once in awhile, I would stop reading and look around the room, thinking about how THIS house that I was staying in was being lived in - and was just across the river - while the ten Booms were hiding Jews. I was interested in going to visit the museum/watchmaker's where "the hiding place" was, but they were closed at the time.

jrsearcher | Feb 12, 2015 |
I loved this book. In 2007 Craig and I were fortunate to visit the home in Amsterdam (actually in Haarlem, near Amsterdam) where the story took place. ( )
  anitatally | Feb 3, 2015 |
I was a young teenager when I was first introduced to this story. It was still commonplace to find religion in the public school system, and the film was shown to everyone in my high school, and the book read in some English classes. I loved it. For years I fantasized about how and where I would hide people who would die without my help and complicity, and wondered how brave I would be under similar circumstances. It was a story that affected my personal growth to a great degree.

As an adult re-reading the book, I confess myself a little disappointed, but still in awe of the courage of the family. What disappointed me was the same thing that fascinated me as a youngster: then I found the easy faith of the ten Boom family comforting and empowering; as an embittered 50-year old I found the same virtue of faith cloying and simplistic. It is I, and not the book, which has changed.

Still, it's definitely praiseworthy and recommended. ( )
  ahef1963 | Oct 25, 2014 |
Corrie ten Boom was the youngest child in a family of Haarlem watchmakers. Corrie's brother became a pastor and one of her older sisters married a school teacher. Neither Corrie nor her oldest sister, Betsie, married, and Corrie went into the family business while Betsie took care of the housekeeping after their mother's death. For as long as Corrie could remember, their house had been home to more than just their immediate family. Several of her mother's sisters lived with the family until their deaths, and her father took in several foster children after his own children were grown. It was natural for the Ten Booms to offer hospitality and a place of refuge to Jews and to others who were sought by the Nazis during the German occupation of the Netherlands in World War II. Their home became the nucleus of an underground network that funneled Jews to safety. When the network inevitably became known to the Germans, several family members were arrested, and Corrie and her sister, Betsie, eventually ended up in the concentration camp at Ravensbruck. Their strong Christian faith enabled them to endure much suffering during their imprisonment.

This was a re-read for me. Corrie has been one of my heroes since I first read this book as a young adult. What impressed me on the first reading was Corrie's encounter with one of her former guards at Ravensbruck who had come to hear her speak at a church in Germany. He sought her out after the meeting and asked for her forgiveness. This time through, I saw Betsie's influence in this encounter. In the concentration camp, Corrie was moved by the suffering of their fellow prisoners and dedicated herself to ministering to them. Betsie was moved by the spiritual poverty of the guards and other officials, and she dreamed of ministering to them after the war. It would seem that Betsie's dream motivated Corrie to speak of God's forgiveness in German churches in the years following the war.

I've learned much more about the war and the Holocaust in the years since I first read this book. There is no question that European Jews were persecuted for their faith, and I'm thankful for every Holocaust memoir that preserves the stories of individuals who suffered in the concentration camps and who witnessed the mass exterminations of Jews. Corrie ten Boom's account is a reminder that it wasn't only Jews who were persecuted by the Nazis. It seems that Christianity wasn't welcome in the camps either. The Ten Booms were arrested when they had gathered for a Bible study in their home. Corrie and Betsie smuggled Bibles into the prison and later into the concentration camp. They held Bible studies and prayer meetings with other prisoners in secret.

This time through I was struck by how well-written this book is. The authors take an episodic approach to Corrie's life, and each chapter tells a story. The audio production is outstanding, and the narrator tells Corrie's story as if she had lived it herself. This is a classic of Christian literature that probably hasn't been out of print since its publication. It will also appeal to readers interested in accounts of occupied territories and resistance movements in World War II. ( )
3 vote cbl_tn | Aug 31, 2014 |
Corrie Ten Boom tells of her family's experiences during the German occupation of Holland during WWII. Captured as the organizer of an underground ring that supplied ration cards and rescued Jews, she was imprisoned, and then sent to Ravensbruck Concentration Camp with one of her sisters. ( )
  lilibrarian | Jul 12, 2014 |

Boom, Corrie tenAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Christian Literature CrusadePublishersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, ElizabethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wellman, SamAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind—sun or fog?
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind - sun or fog? Usually it was fog in January in Holland, dank, chill, and gray. But occasionally - on a rare and magic day - a white winter sun broke through.
I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.

“Love is the strongest force in the world.”
― Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place
The Hiding Place is a true story about a family of Christian watchmakers during World War II. The main character, Corrie ten Boom, accounts the heart-gripping story of how she and her family were arrested and taken to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany for hiding Jews in their house. This story is extremely sad, yet hopeful at the sametime. It is filled with hope because Corrie ten Boom tells how she put her faith in God and how he got her through the most difficult and inscrutiating times. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me hope and showed me that if someone could have faith in God to get them through a Nazi concentration camp, then I can at least have faith in God to get me through my meager day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553256696, Mass Market Paperback)

“I pray that God forgive them...”

Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner. “Oh, the poor woman,” Corrie cried. “Yes. May God forgive her,” Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed.

Both woman had been sent to the camp for helping the Jews. Christ’s Spirit and words were their guide; it was His persecuted people they tried to save—at the risk of their own lives; it was His strength that sustained them through times of profound horror.

Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ’s message and the courage woman who listened and lived to pass it along—with joy and triumph!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:30 -0400)

The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland and her family who helped hide Jewish people. The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland & her family who helped hide Jewish people. Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner."Oh, the poor woman," Corrie cried."Yes. May God forgive her," Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed. Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ's message and the courageous woman who listened and lived to pass it along -- with joy and triumph!… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,699,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible