The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

The Hiding Place (original 1971; edition 1974)

by Corrie Ten Boom, John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill

Member:casanders2015
Title:The Hiding Place
Authors:Corrie Ten Boom
Other authors:John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill
Info:Spire Books (1974), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (1971)

I have heard much about the little Dutch woman, Corrie Ten Boom, but it has taken me so long to finally get around to her story. The Ten Boom family took in both their Jewish friends and complete strangers to keep them safe from the Nazis during WWII. People would just show up at their watch shop unannounced and the family never turned anyone away. Even though they were just simple people, their extraordinary faith led them to work with the Underground to disguise their communications, to build a secret room, to secure extra ration cards and move Jews around the country. They developed a panic button bell system and held drills to see how quickly their guests could hide out of the way. But Corrie and her family were caught and imprisoned. Her father and sister died in the camps. Still she had faith. Still she tried to shine the Light out into the darkness that surrounded her. I greatly admire her courage and her fortitude.
The book is so readable, like you are sitting across the coffee table from your grandmother. I only wish it were longer. I was sad to see it end.

We could never be sure that out line was not tapped. So we developed a system for coding our underground messages in terms of watches...
"I have a watch here with a face that's causing difficulty. One of the numbers has worked loose and it's holding back the hand. Do you know anyone who does this kind of repair work?" (We have a Jew whose features are especially Semitic. Do you know anyone who would be willing to take an extra risk?)
"I'm sorry, but the child's watch you left with us is not repairable. Do you have a receipt?" (A Jewish child has died in one of our houses. We need a burial permit).

"I could not sleep last night," the lieutenant said, "thinking about that Book where you read such different ideas. What else does it say in there?"
On my closed eyelids the sun glimmered and blazed. "It says," I began slowly, "that a Light has come into the world, so that we need no longer walk in the dark. Is there darkness in your life, Lieutenant?"
There was a very long silence.
"There is great darkness," he said at last. "I cannot bear the work I do here."
Then all at once he was telling me about his wife and children home in Bremen, about their garden, their dogs, their summer hiking vacations. "Bremen was bombed again last week. Each morning I ask myself are they still alive."
"There is One Who has them always in His sight, Lieutenant Rahms. Jesus is the Light the Bible shows to me, the Light that shines even in such darkness as yours."
The man pulled the visor of his hat lower on his eyes; the skull-and-crossbones glinted in the sunlight. When he spoke it was so low I could hardly hear. "What can you know of darkness like mine...."
1 vote VictoriaPL | May 2, 2016 |
Great read, incredible story. Truly inspiring. ( )
  RebeccaWattier | Mar 22, 2016 |
Wow. It's hard for me to find the words. This was a heart wrenching true-life story of faith and perseverance. So many have already mirrored my feelings by their reviews, but I'd have to say Karen's review really struck a cord with me. There were so many beautiful examples of faith in this book that I couldn't possibly list them all.

This book wasn't easy to read. We watch a close knit Christian family subjected to the horrors of the Holocaust for assisting the Jews. They stood up for what was right in God's eyes, regardless of the consequence. Knowing these were real people and real experiences made it even harder to read, but I'm glad I finished it. God IS always there, even in the darkest of places, holding us up when we can't go on.

Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
had a little too much a religious slant than i like - it is a non-fiction account of Holland and the ten Boom family during the Nazi invasion. if you don't made a lot of "god talk" it may be for you. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Well worth anyone's time. ( )
  MahanaU | Feb 26, 2016 |

Boom, Corrie tenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, ElizabethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wellman, SamAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind—sun or fog?
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind - sun or fog? Usually it was fog in January in Holland, dank, chill, and gray. But occasionally - on a rare and magic day - a white winter sun broke through.
I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.

“Love is the strongest force in the world.”
― Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place
The Hiding Place is a true story about a family of Christian watchmakers during World War II. The main character, Corrie ten Boom, accounts the heart-gripping story of how she and her family were arrested and taken to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany for hiding Jews in their house. This story is extremely sad, yet hopeful at the sametime. It is filled with hope because Corrie ten Boom tells how she put her faith in God and how he got her through the most difficult and inscrutiating times. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me hope and showed me that if someone could have faith in God to get them through a Nazi concentration camp, then I can at least have faith in God to get me through my meager day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553256696, Mass Market Paperback)

“I pray that God forgive them...”

Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner. “Oh, the poor woman,” Corrie cried. “Yes. May God forgive her,” Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed.

Both woman had been sent to the camp for helping the Jews. Christ’s Spirit and words were their guide; it was His persecuted people they tried to save—at the risk of their own lives; it was His strength that sustained them through times of profound horror.

Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ’s message and the courage woman who listened and lived to pass it along—with joy and triumph!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland and her family who helped hide Jewish people. The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland & her family who helped hide Jewish people. Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner."Oh, the poor woman," Corrie cried."Yes. May God forgive her," Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed. Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ's message and the courageous woman who listened and lived to pass it along -- with joy and triumph!… (more)

Chosen Books

An edition of this book was published by Chosen Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,756,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible