The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

The Hiding Place (original 1971; edition 1974)

by Corrie Ten Boom, John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill

Member:casanders2015
Title:The Hiding Place
Authors:Corrie Ten Boom
Other authors:John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill
Info:Spire Books (1974), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (1971)

This is a story that I read years ago and than watched the World Wide Pictures movie version. I heard Corrie ten Boom while I was in college challenge students to live for more than themselves and Live for Christ alone. I am always amazed to see how God uses the weak to show His strength. I thank God for this wonderful testimony of grace and mercy. ( )
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
I avoided reading Corrie ten Boom for years thinking I wouldn't like it, but it was the best book I read in 2011. Whether or not you are religious, or if religious, Christian, what she and her family did to help so many Jewish and non-Jewish people during WWII, and then her strength & courage after her arrest are inspiring. She was a watchmaker--highly unusual for a woman back then--who had lived a very queit life until she was over 50, and so she's also an inspiration to those of us who are around that age. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 21, 2016 |
The true story of a World War II concentration camp survivor. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jan 17, 2016 |
The Hiding Place – Brilliant & Inspiring

The Hiding Place is one of the most inspirational books that you can read, the true story of Corrie ten Boom a Dutch Christian who somehow survived the Second World War. This is a story about faith and the power that can give a person, the courage that it gives believers to forsake safety for the hope of saving others.

What is inspiring in this memoir is that whatever the Nazis did to Corrie ten Boom forgave them and continued to do so. Would I be able to forgive as she does? I very much doubt that I could. This one person who even when in a concentration camp could still forgive her captors. Is any person really capable to do this?

To many people this is a book where you see faith and belief in action, and unlike Job, Corrie ten Boom never questions her faith. What we do see is it is that very faith that gives her the strength to continue and the underlying theme throughout the book is that of forgiveness, gratitude and the mercies that God bestows on a person.

This may be a short book but it is certainly one of the most inspirational books that you will ever read. It will also make you examine your own faith and would you be able to do the same. Could you trust in God’s plan even when death is close at hand.

This is a book that people should read that will give you hope in mankind and faith in Christ. ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Oct 18, 2015 |
Discussed on the A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast, Episode 67.

http://agoodstoryishardtofind.blogspot.com/2013/09/good-story-067-hiding-place-b... ( )
  ScottDDanielson | Oct 15, 2015 |

Boom, Corrie tenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, ElizabethContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, JohnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wellman, SamAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind—sun or fog?
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind - sun or fog? Usually it was fog in January in Holland, dank, chill, and gray. But occasionally - on a rare and magic day - a white winter sun broke through.
I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.

“Love is the strongest force in the world.”
― Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place
The Hiding Place is a true story about a family of Christian watchmakers during World War II. The main character, Corrie ten Boom, accounts the heart-gripping story of how she and her family were arrested and taken to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany for hiding Jews in their house. This story is extremely sad, yet hopeful at the sametime. It is filled with hope because Corrie ten Boom tells how she put her faith in God and how he got her through the most difficult and inscrutiating times. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me hope and showed me that if someone could have faith in God to get them through a Nazi concentration camp, then I can at least have faith in God to get me through my meager day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553256696, Mass Market Paperback)

“I pray that God forgive them...”

Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner. “Oh, the poor woman,” Corrie cried. “Yes. May God forgive her,” Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed.

Both woman had been sent to the camp for helping the Jews. Christ’s Spirit and words were their guide; it was His persecuted people they tried to save—at the risk of their own lives; it was His strength that sustained them through times of profound horror.

Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ’s message and the courage woman who listened and lived to pass it along—with joy and triumph!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland and her family who helped hide Jewish people. The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland & her family who helped hide Jewish people. Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner."Oh, the poor woman," Corrie cried."Yes. May God forgive her," Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed. Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ's message and the courageous woman who listened and lived to pass it along -- with joy and triumph!… (more)

Chosen Books

An edition of this book was published by Chosen Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,253,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible