The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom

The Hiding Place (original 1971; edition 1974)

by Corrie Ten Boom, John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill

Member:casanders2015
Title:The Hiding Place
Authors:Corrie Ten Boom
Other authors:John Sherrill, Elizabeth Sherrill
Info:Spire Books (1974), Paperback
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom (Author) (1971)

Recently added byKeelz09, sebtslib, Karathoner, private library, BethanyChurch, MannaPark, serufener, MartelleCC

English (90)  English (1)  German (1)  English (92)
The story of the ten Boom family in the Netherlands during the Nazi occupation. Corrie, her sister, and her father began by helping to shelter their Jewish neighbors and assist them in escaping the country and eventually became an important hub in the Dutch Underground. When they were caught they were all sent to concentration camps, and Corrie tells her story of learning to cope with the harsh conditions and how it strengthened her Christian faith. It's an easy read (actually, I listened to the audiobook) and her faith in the face of extreme trials makes for a very inspirational story. ( )
  J.Green | Nov 22, 2016 |
This book was my grandmother's favorite. I remember reading it as a kid, and not understanding alot of it - I certainly didn't understand the Holocaust, or what it meant to love others unconditionally. For a totally different look at living through the Holocaust, read this. ( )
  anastaciaknits | Oct 29, 2016 |
The Hiding Place is a chillingly accurate autobiography by Holocaust survivor, Corrie Ten Boom. Reading this book will allow young adults to see the realities of the Auschwitz as well as other Holocaust concentration camps. It is a must-read for a unit about he Holocaust.
  erindunton | Sep 20, 2016 |
A truly inspiring book. ( )
  BrightErudite | Jul 26, 2016 |
A truly remarkable human being who, during WW2 was instrumental in providing safe haven and ration coupons for hundreds of Jews in Haarlem, Holland. She and her sister were incarcerated and endured horrific conditions yet held onto a deep faith that they spread throughout prison and later a concentration camp they were held in for years-

Her spiritual work and teaching of forgiveness was so inspiring to me and her story so enlightening - although she was Christian, her story, extraordinary faith and healing work crosses all religious and cultural boundaries. ( )
  njinthesun | Jun 30, 2016 |

ten Boom, CorrieAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, ElizabethAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sherrill, JohnAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dunne, BernadetteNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wellman, SamAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind—sun or fog?
I jumped out of bed that morning with one question in my mind - sun or fog? Usually it was fog in January in Holland, dank, chill, and gray. But occasionally - on a rare and magic day - a white winter sun broke through.
I know that the experiences of our lives, when we let God use them, become the mysterious and perfect preparation for the work He will give us to do.

“Love is the strongest force in the world.”
― Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place

The Hiding Place is a true story about a family of Christian watchmakers during World War II. The main character, Corrie ten Boom, accounts the heart-gripping story of how she and her family were arrested and taken to a concentration camp in Nazi Germany for hiding Jews in their house. This story is extremely sad, yet hopeful at the sametime. It is filled with hope because Corrie ten Boom tells how she put her faith in God and how he got her through the most difficult and inscrutiating times. I really enjoyed this book because it gave me hope and showed me that if someone could have faith in God to get them through a Nazi concentration camp, then I can at least have faith in God to get me through my meager day.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553256696, Mass Market Paperback)

“I pray that God forgive them...”

Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner. “Oh, the poor woman,” Corrie cried. “Yes. May God forgive her,” Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed.

Both woman had been sent to the camp for helping the Jews. Christ’s Spirit and words were their guide; it was His persecuted people they tried to save—at the risk of their own lives; it was His strength that sustained them through times of profound horror.

Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ’s message and the courage woman who listened and lived to pass it along—with joy and triumph!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:13 -0400)

The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland and her family who helped hide Jewish people. The account of a Dutch girl growing up in Nazi-occupied Holland & her family who helped hide Jewish people. Corrie Ten Boom stood naked with her older sister Betsie, watching a concentration camp matron beating a prisoner."Oh, the poor woman," Corrie cried."Yes. May God forgive her," Betsie replied. And, once again, Corrie realized that it was for the souls of the brutal Nazi guards that her sister prayed. Here is a book aglow with the glory of God and the courage of a quiet Christian spinster whose life was transformed by it. A story of Christ's message and the courageous woman who listened and lived to pass it along -- with joy and triumph!… (more)

Chosen Books

An edition of this book was published by Chosen Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,642,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible