Plots: A Collection of Short Story Mysteries…

Plots: A Collection of Short Story Mysteries

by Philip Pak

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm of two minds on this book.
On one side - as a previous reviewer mentioned, there are a lot of misplaced commas in the stories that "threw me out of the story". I was thinking more about the sentence and paragraph construction than the stories themselves.

On the other, throughout the stories there were kernels of good ideas and a genuinely funny tone a la Donald Westlake's caper novels.

If the grammar could be cleaned up (along with the paragraph construction), I'd be interested in this writer's development. ( )
  Ann_Louise | Jan 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am very grateful to have received this book from Early Reviewers. The stories are fun and interesting, without being too gory. I enoyed this book very much. ( )
  3wheeledlibrarian | Jan 11, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this ebook through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers' program.

After encountering an unnecessary comma in the very first sentence of the first story, I struggled to read enough of this collection to review it as a whole. Unfortunately, the punctuation problems continued through the first two stories. The second story was so full of short, choppy sentences, the story had no flow. And when the author threw out the "World-famous rap artist and practicing gynecologist, Docta Shaka" and the ‘The Gate to Oblivion Senior Center’ I completely lost all respect for them.

I hoped for interesting characters and found two-dimensional caricatures. I endeavored to find satire in the over-the-top storytelling, but found poorly crafted plots and flat delivery. About the best thing I can say is that the stories were definitely unique, and that the punctuation did improve by the fourth story (the farthest I could stand to read).

One star for effort. ( )
  bkjake | Jan 6, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Philip Pak's book Plots: A Collection of Short Story Mysteries is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,610,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible