Addictarium by Nicole D'Settemi
721,625,764 (2)None

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A bizarre roller coaster ride of what it might be like for someone with a drug addiction problem. In this case, it is from a woman's perspective, with all the emotions and reactions from someone who is gasping for air while she is drowning herself in the acrid ocean salt water. The story is rank, hostile, desperate, full of hope yet pathetic in the same instance, but overall, it is an interesting read. IF you are too delicate to hear certain words or ideas, this book is not for you. It portrays the raw aspects of a junkie's life and all that it may entail. Some may think this story is useless fantasy or a waste of time, but how can one person's journey be considered that?

Few can appreciate what someone with an addiction goes through on a moment-by-moment basis unless they themselves have to deal with... even a simple addiction to deal with, but with no positive option within their grasp. This story shows the desperation this woman had to be free of its heinous grasp on her soul, but just as with a weary victim of a slime pit, she kept falling back into its slimy clutches.

Sometimes all we need is just one person to show that we have value in their eyes for us to have the courage to step forward regardless of the steep, tortuous climb upward and outward into the sunshine of life.
Despite it triggering certain emotions and thinking within due to my personal experiences, I am glad I read it all the way through, including the end where it contained the biography of the author. ( )
  KevinCoz | Jan 10, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The prologue flings you right into the gritty reality of detox. A reality that seems a little TOO gritty, given that the author describes sixteen women in a room with little privacy and nurses that can't be bothered to tend to their basic needs, but that aside, the realization in the prologue that the author is, indeed, a junkie prepares you for a journey into the depth of addiction and the hard climb out.

But that journey's immediately derailed in the first chapter when she describes getting acid and weed while supposedly sober and in a rehab program, along with joining one of her fellow addicts as an "upscale escort". From there, it descends into overwrought prose, overblown plot, and some of the least sexy "sexy" writing seen since Fifty Shades of Grey. I was hoping for an addict's inside look at what drives them, a real examination of why they picked up the needle in the first place and the struggle to leave it behind, but instead I got something that looks like addiction through the eyes of Gossip Girl.

All I can say is that I'm very, very glad I didn't actually pay money for this book. ( )
1 vote darklingdawns | Jan 6, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Nicole D'Settemi's book Addictarium is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,613,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible