Trouble No Man: A Novel by Brian Hart

by Brian Hart

741,626,601 (3.25)None

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
TROUBLE NO MAN, by Brian Hart, is an emotional rollercoaster that follows Roy Bingham at four different points in his life over forty years. Spanning from the 1990's through a near future where militia control dominates the land, the reader experiences love, hate, betrayal, hope, desperation, addiction, and pure animalistic survival.
Roy Bingham made some bad choices early is his adult life, a lot of bad choices, but as he has grown older, he has learned to savor the life he has and hold onto the love and happiness he finds in his family. By having faults and then learning and growing from them, the reader connects to Roy and yearns for him to succeed in life. The backdrop of an increased militia presence in California, where most of the story is set, provides a haunting presence throughout the book, as if at any moment 0ne of the militia groups will upend the Bingham's lives. While the focus of the story is Roy, the author Hart does a good job of developing the supporting characters, like Roy's companion, Karen, and his neighbor later in life, Mr. Miller. I did struggle a little with Hart's style of describing many of the action sequences. I will freely acknowledge that I might be alone in this, but I had to often reread the action sequences to understand what happened, it was as if Hart left some details out and the reader was supposed to fill in the blanks. Also, some of the skater terminology was lost on me, I had to stop and look some of it up.
Overall, TROUBLE NO MAN, is a compelling book about a man finding himself and the struggling to keep what he has figured out is important to him. Anyone who enjoys reading about the struggle to survive and following characters who search for what is most important to them will enjoy this book.
I received this book as part of the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. ( )
  EHoward29 | Jan 15, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Good story, good characters. What do you do when the end of your world happens in slow motion? When you can see it coming but feel like there must be something you can do? The story of a man-child growing into a man at the end of our time. Time-shifting stories aren't my thing, but this one is done well. ( )
  bgknighton | Jan 13, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Extremely confusing as the author bounces you from "Roy" to "Man," from "present day" to a world that has fallen apart by militias. I had to read several different descriptions to realize what was supposed to be happening over the course of this book.

The second half of this read was redeeming as it all finally begins to come together. The uncanny realness of the situations occurring is all too close to plausible. The dog was the only character I felt a stake in.

*Disclaimer: a review copy of this book was provided by Librarything. All opinions are my own. ( )
  JillRey | Dec 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This novel of the near-future throws the reader right into a constantly changing time-stream that skips around over 4 decades and it's sink or swim to try and figure out what (more like wtf) is going on. After a while, you get the story sorted out and the 'crazy' gets better as you figure out the main characters - a guy named Roy who is a messed up skateboarder, a girl named Karen who he falls in love with - and the others surrounding them as they grow up, create a life, and try to survive in a disintegrating America. This is a tense, masculine, violent novel - lots of references to skateboarding, weapons, drinking, motorcycles, and prepper-survivalist culture. But there's also a lot about growing up, building a life and family, surviving on a small farmstead, and caring for and loving a fine dog. This dog was truly the best character in the novel - as a great dog often is in our real lives. It's an intense story that gets better as it goes - and in the end, it might be somewhat prescient if the political and cultural and environmental problems in these united states get really out of control and everything goes all to hell. Probably a good read for fans of Cormac McCarthy. ( )
  KatyBee | Dec 20, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Brian Hart's book Trouble No Man is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,687,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible