Haibu Lost in New York

Haibu Lost in New York

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Nice story, and has a good message, but it is unrealistic, and against things that have already been changing, Cute story about different cultures, and a great learning experience. ( )
  nirrad | Jan 10, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won a print copy of this book from the publisher through a giveaway they had on LibraryThing, and the following is my honest opinion.

My inner-child enjoyed reading this book as it reminded me of how adventurous I’d been as a child, albeit not as adventurous as Haibu. In all honesty I believe all of us at one point or other have thought we could do anything we wanted to do as well, which like Haibu, we found out we couldn’t, but luckily our parents had to come and rescue us.

When her fishing adventure leaves her stranded, adrift on a large chuck of ice, she winds up in New York, where she starts to seek assistance in getting back home; which takes her to a circus where her next adventure would start.

As children we all loved animals and didn’t like when we saw them hurting in some way, and Haibu had been no exception to our shared affinity for them.
Giving the human ability to speak to the animals allowed her to devise a scheme to save them from their predicament before it could intensify.

The book has an important subliminal message for its young readers regarding the worldwide plight of wild animal and what everyone can do to improve it. While as adults, some of us might miss this message, children are quite astute when it comes to realizing it.

For wanting to communicate this to her young readers, my inner-child and myself are happy to give the author, Blake Freeman, 5 STARS for his endeavor here. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Jan 9, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Cleanliness: Angel (Topics to consider: disobeying parents, mention of blood, orphans, and animal abuse.)

This book is so adorable and teaches very, very obvious lessons. Haibu is a little girl who disobeys her parents, gets lost, and changes New York for good. The story teaches that animals have feelings, too. It sheds light on the abuse found in zoos and also teaches the reader to conserve our resources.

The main thing that made this book not 5 stars for me was that there were absolutely no bad consequences when Haibu ran away. In fact, there were good consequences! I feel like "disobey your parents and you might meet new friends, have tons of fun, and save all the animals" isn't necessarily the wisest lesson to put in a children's book.

Haibu: Lost in New York is a much more intense book than I thought it would be. There was one important fight scene that taught about overusing our resources in a very impacting way. This story will definitely get your kids talking.

I think this was a very unique book with an important message. The story was well done, the pictures were adorable, and the book as a whole was quite enjoyable.

~I was sent a free copy of this book from LibraryThing for an honest review~ ( )
  AudrasBookBlabbing | Jan 3, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A good story that has some themes that are positive and children can benefit from exploring. Some of which can be pretty heavy and lead to big questions so I would recommend that a parent have read the story first, so as to be prepared to answer the inevitable questions that are likely to be generated by this story.

There are also things that are not positive decisions that you would want your child to be making. However as long as the child reading the book understands that this is a fictional work and therefore not realistic it can be a fun tale involving adventure and opportunities for growth.

With all of these factors included the book seems to me to that the book was trying to reach to many different audiences within the same work. With that being said one the best parts of the book are the illustrations, they are great. ( )
  wd40sw | Dec 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think this story has its heart in a good place in some regards. However, it certainly should be discussed with children that are old enough to sort out the caring, decent parts from the unrealistic, misleading ideas.
Haiku is a brave, adventurous girl from Montooka (far North) who has a special gift of being able to talk to animals. Through a completely implausible series of events, she interacts with a polar bear, gets stuck on a floating piece of ice with a baby seal, is picked up by a ship, lands in NYC, and recruits some orphans to rescue some wild animals from a circus.
Whew, okay - - just some of the discussion points for kids who read the story... Children should not run off on their own in the wild OR in the city. Exposure can kill you. Wild animals should be respected - but they are not friendly. All animals deserve to be free and happy. Sometimes humans do make terrible mistakes by keeping animals in cages. (Slavery is also mentioned and should be discussed.)
This might be an interesting story to explore animal rights issues but it's not a great fit to read to very young kids. There are many unrealistic plot points and the themes are a weird counterpoint to the wide-eyed cutesy illustrations.
I respect the intent - there aren't many elementary age chapter fiction books that deal with mistreatment of animals. ( )
  Grandma_B | Dec 17, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

's book Haibu Lost in New York is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,629,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible