The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

The House on Mango Street (1984)

by Sandra Cisneros

English (158)  Spanish (2)  All (160)
This book is good- really good. I believe if the writer knows what she wants to write about, she keeps it simple, entertaining. I enjoyed the short (really short: one page for most) stories and how she convey the life of a poor Hispanic neighborhood. She did not gather these memories not from her childhood (she mentions that she had a comfortable childhood), but from her teaching years with less fortunate kids.

People on Mango street are poor, have immigrant problems (language, identity crisis), but regular people- like you and me. Because we all feel happy or sad at some point during the day. She avoided a sobby cliche book without drawing unicorns and managed put a smile on the reader's face without trying hard.

This is how she explained her writing: "I wrote these stories... guided by my heart and by my ear. I was writing a novel and didn't know I was writing a novel; if I had, I probably couldn't have done it. I knew I wanted to tell a story made up of a series of stories that would make sense if read alone, or that could be read all together to tell one big story, each story contributing to the whole—like beads in a necklace."

Right on Sandra Cisneros, right on. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
As a middle school teacher, this is definitely something I would read with my students because I think they could relate to its topics and themes. As a writer, I have no problem with greying genre lines (in this case between poetry and fiction), and I liked some of the figurative language. As an adult, however, it wasn't enough for me. If the book wasn't formatted so that every vignette starts at the bottom of a new page, I don't think it would exceed 60 pages. There simply aren't enough words for me to consider this a novella. I suspect that if I had encountered this as a chapbook by an unknown author, I probably would have praised it's originality. But in its current form, it comes off as pretentious and overrated.

So in a syllable, meh. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
This book requires thought questions and/or a book group to really appreciate. It's so thin and straightforward that I was left cold on my initial read-through; it seemed to have no meat. As I reread and think and develop questions and have conversations with others about it, however, I find myself growing and growing in my appreciation of how intricately it's woven and how very much a Chicago and immigrant and poor and Mexican-American experience it reflects, and how artfully. I am adjusting my rating upwards. To be appropriately appreciated, it, like poetry, needs time to percolate and patterns to form and parallels to be uncovered. ( )
  pammab | Dec 18, 2016 |
I read this book in two days. It's a short book, a sort of quasi-memoir, written in little vignettes which draw you into Cisneros' world. I love books that take me into a neighborhood, a culture where I can be invited in but not feel awkward, b/c of course, I'm not physically there, yet I can feel the mood, listen to the conversations, picture everyone so well. I want to read Cisneros' other books now. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
A las Mujeres
(To the Women)
We didn't alway live on Mango Street.

[R.L. 4.5]
Told in a series of vibrant vignettes, this is the story of Esperanza Cordera, a girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, in a neighborhood that is neither pretty nor easy. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes joyous, this is a moving story of a young girl attempting to rise above the hopelessness around her.

Acclaimed by critics, beloved by readers of all ages, taught everywhere from inner-city grade schools to universities across the country, and translated all over the world, The House on Mango Street is the remarkable story of Esperanza Cordero.

Told in a series of vignettes – sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous – it is the story of a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago, inventing for herself who and what she will become. Few other books in our time have touched so many readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

For Esperanza, a young girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, life is an endless landscape of concrete and run-down tenements, and she tries to rise above the hopelessness.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible