The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

The House on Mango Street (original 1984; edition 1991)

by Sandra Cisneros (Author)

Member:MsCellophane
Title:The House on Mango Street
Authors:Sandra Cisneros (Author)
Info:Vintage Contemporaries (1991), Paperback, 110 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:fiction

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros (1984)

Recently added byprivate library, AC_Mostar, lulu1293, UrbanPrairie, SisyphusRising, vandbenj, dbackdad

English (156)  Spanish (2)  English (158)
I read this book in two days. It's a short book, a sort of quasi-memoir, written in little vignettes which draw you into Cisneros' world. I love books that take me into a neighborhood, a culture where I can be invited in but not feel awkward, b/c of course, I'm not physically there, yet I can feel the mood, listen to the conversations, picture everyone so well. I want to read Cisneros' other books now. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Much loved. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
This book is good- really good. I believe if the writer knows what she wants to write about, she keeps it simple, entertaining. I enjoyed the short (really short: one page for most) stories and how she convey the life of a poor Hispanic neighborhood. She did not gather these memories not from her childhood (she mentions that she had a comfortable childhood), but from her teaching years with less fortunate kids.

People on Mango street are poor, have immigrant problems (language, identity crisis), but regular people- like you and me. Because we all feel happy or sad at some point during the day. She avoided a sobby cliche book without drawing unicorns and managed put a smile on the reader's face without trying hard.

This is how she explained her writing: "I wrote these stories... guided by my heart and by my ear. I was writing a novel and didn't know I was writing a novel; if I had, I probably couldn't have done it. I knew I wanted to tell a story made up of a series of stories that would make sense if read alone, or that could be read all together to tell one big story, each story contributing to the whole—like beads in a necklace."

Right on Sandra Cisneros, right on. ( )
  soontobefree | Nov 2, 2016 |
Set in a Latino section of Chicago, this book hums with personalities. I loved it. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Oct 1, 2016 |
I recommend that you read it, if you're on the fence about it. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
A las Mujeres
(To the Women)
We didn't alway live on Mango Street.

[R.L. 4.5]
Told in a series of vibrant vignettes, this is the story of Esperanza Cordera, a girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, in a neighborhood that is neither pretty nor easy. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes joyous, this is a moving story of a young girl attempting to rise above the hopelessness around her.

Acclaimed by critics, beloved by readers of all ages, taught everywhere from inner-city grade schools to universities across the country, and translated all over the world, The House on Mango Street is the remarkable story of Esperanza Cordero.

Told in a series of vignettes – sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous – it is the story of a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago, inventing for herself who and what she will become. Few other books in our time have touched so many readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

For Esperanza, a young girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, life is an endless landscape of concrete and run-down tenements, and she tries to rise above the hopelessness.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible