The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

The House on Mango Street (original 1984; edition 1991)

by Sandra Cisneros

Member:MsCellophane
Title:The House on Mango Street
Authors:Sandra Cisneros (Author)
Info:Vintage Contemporaries (1991), Paperback, 110 pages
Collections:Your library, Illinois library
Tags:fiction

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros (1984)

English (147)  Spanish (1)  All languages (148)
This was a sweet, heartbreaking, powerful story and I thoroughly recommend it.

Full review → Joie des Livres ( )
  joiedeslivres | Apr 12, 2016 |
Trifling little vignettes that are not very compelling. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
this might warrant more than 3.5 stars; so many of the vignettes that tell this story are both powerful and also so beautifully written.

i'd forgotten that this is a book written in tiny bites, little notions almost. not linked short stories, but linked moments, more like. it's an interesting way to tell a story of a child's life, of a person's relation to her self/community/location, her dreams. it's really well done and some bits are even better than that. i really like this. it's probably best read in one sitting.

i do wish many of the vignettes were longer; i would have liked it more if some of them were expanded upon. it worked to do it this way, but it also (sometimes) broke up what would have been a nicely flowing narrative.

"But the house on Mango Street is not the way they told it at all. It's small and red with tight steps in front and windows so small you'd think they were holding their breath."

"It was my great-grandmother's name and now it is mine. She was a horse woman too, born like me in the Chinese year of the horse - which is supposed to be bad luck if you're born female - but i think this is a Chinese lie because the Chinese, like the Mexicans, don't like their women strong."

"Everything is holding its breath inside me. Everything is waiting to explode like Christmas. I want to be all new and shiny. I want to sit out bad at night, a boy around my neck and the wind under my skirt. Not this way, every evening talking to the trees, leaning out my window, imagining what I can't see."

"Sally, do you sometimes wish you didn't have to go home? Do you wish your feet would one day keep walking and take you far away from Mango Street, far away and maybe your feet would stop in front of a house, a nice one with flowers and big windows and steps for you to climb up two by two upstairs to where a room is waiting for you. And if you opened the little window latch and gave it a shove, the windows would swing open, all the sky would come in. There'd be no nosy neighbors watching, no motorcycles and cars, no sheets and towels and laundry. Only trees and more trees and plenty of blue sky."

"My mother says when I get older my dusty hair will settle and my blouse will learn to stay clean, but I have decided not to grow up tame like the others who lay their necks on the threshold waiting for the ball and chain."

"When you leave you must remember to come back for the others. A circle, you understand? You will always be Esperanza. You will always be Mango Street. You can't erase what you know. You can't forget who you are." ( )
  elisa.saphier | Mar 13, 2016 |
Loved it then, love it now. ( )
  Jolynne | Mar 9, 2016 |
I loved the different stories that were included. ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
A las Mujeres
(To the Women)
We didn't alway live on Mango Street.

[R.L. 4.5]
Told in a series of vibrant vignettes, this is the story of Esperanza Cordera, a girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, in a neighborhood that is neither pretty nor easy. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes joyous, this is a moving story of a young girl attempting to rise above the hopelessness around her.

Acclaimed by critics, beloved by readers of all ages, taught everywhere from inner-city grade schools to universities across the country, and translated all over the world, The House on Mango Street is the remarkable story of Esperanza Cordero.

Told in a series of vignettes – sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous – it is the story of a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago, inventing for herself who and what she will become. Few other books in our time have touched so many readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

For Esperanza, a young girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, life is an endless landscape of concrete and run-down tenements, and she tries to rise above the hopelessness.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,875 books! | Top bar: Always visible