La Casa en Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

La Casa en Mango Street (original 1984; edition 1994)

by Sandra Cisneros, Elena Poniatowska (Translator)

Member:Jane_Fung
Title:La Casa en Mango Street
Authors:Sandra Cisneros
Other authors:Elena Poniatowska (Translator)
Info:Vintage (1994), Edition: Anv, Paperback, 112 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Essay

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros (1984)

English (158)  Spanish (2)  All (160)
As a middle school teacher, this is definitely something I would read with my students because I think they could relate to its topics and themes. As a writer, I have no problem with greying genre lines (in this case between poetry and fiction), and I liked some of the figurative language. As an adult, however, it wasn't enough for me. If the book wasn't formatted so that every vignette starts at the bottom of a new page, I don't think it would exceed 60 pages. There simply aren't enough words for me to consider this a novella. I suspect that if I had encountered this as a chapbook by an unknown author, I probably would have praised it's originality. But in its current form, it comes off as pretentious and overrated.

So in a syllable, meh. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
3.5 stars ( )
  Gaiagirlie | Jan 12, 2017 |
This book requires thought questions and/or a book group to really appreciate. It's so thin and straightforward that I was left cold on my initial read-through; it seemed to have no meat. As I reread and think and develop questions and have conversations with others about it, however, I find myself growing and growing in my appreciation of how intricately it's woven and how very much a Chicago and immigrant and poor and Mexican-American experience it reflects, and how artfully. I am adjusting my rating upwards. To be appropriately appreciated, it, like poetry, needs time to percolate and patterns to form and parallels to be uncovered. ( )
  pammab | Dec 18, 2016 |
I read this book in two days. It's a short book, a sort of quasi-memoir, written in little vignettes which draw you into Cisneros' world. I love books that take me into a neighborhood, a culture where I can be invited in but not feel awkward, b/c of course, I'm not physically there, yet I can feel the mood, listen to the conversations, picture everyone so well. I want to read Cisneros' other books now. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
Much loved. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
A las Mujeres
(To the Women)
We didn't alway live on Mango Street.

[R.L. 4.5]
Told in a series of vibrant vignettes, this is the story of Esperanza Cordera, a girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, in a neighborhood that is neither pretty nor easy. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes joyous, this is a moving story of a young girl attempting to rise above the hopelessness around her.

Acclaimed by critics, beloved by readers of all ages, taught everywhere from inner-city grade schools to universities across the country, and translated all over the world, The House on Mango Street is the remarkable story of Esperanza Cordero.

Told in a series of vignettes – sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous – it is the story of a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago, inventing for herself who and what she will become. Few other books in our time have touched so many readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

For Esperanza, a young girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, life is an endless landscape of concrete and run-down tenements, and she tries to rise above the hopelessness.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,765,903 books! | Top bar: Always visible