The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

The House on Mango Street (original 1984; edition 1991)

by Sandra Cisneros

Title:The House on Mango Street
Authors:Sandra Cisneros
Info:Vintage (1991), Paperback, 110 pages
Tags:Fiction, literature, contemporary fiction, Cuban immigrant experience

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros (1984)

English (154)  Spanish (2)  All languages (156)
Set in a Latino section of Chicago, this book hums with personalities. I loved it. ( )
  FoxTribeMama | Oct 1, 2016 |
I recommend that you read it, if you're on the fence about it. ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Magical, mystical and wonderful - I could read The House on Mango Street over and over. ( )
  sdunford | Aug 20, 2016 |
Through a series of short stories, the author captures life in a poorer section of Chicago, IL. The emotions and actions of a pre-teen - early teen aged girl are written so remarkably well that I hated to see the book end.

This is good writing! The life of the character Esperanza Cordero was not always easy, but even the small, every day occurrences are rendered important in the telling. Some stories are sad, others are humorous -- all are crafted excellently.
  Whisper1 | Jun 29, 2016 |
This was done in a series of vignettes. It was okay. Well written, but I think I expected it to be something more. Not a bad collection of stories, but i don't know if I'll ever read it again. ( )
  PriPri77 | Jun 23, 2016 |
A las Mujeres
(To the Women)
We didn't alway live on Mango Street.

[R.L. 4.5]
Told in a series of vibrant vignettes, this is the story of Esperanza Cordera, a girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, in a neighborhood that is neither pretty nor easy. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes joyous, this is a moving story of a young girl attempting to rise above the hopelessness around her.

Acclaimed by critics, beloved by readers of all ages, taught everywhere from inner-city grade schools to universities across the country, and translated all over the world, The House on Mango Street is the remarkable story of Esperanza Cordero.

Told in a series of vignettes – sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous – it is the story of a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago, inventing for herself who and what she will become. Few other books in our time have touched so many readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:08 -0400)

For Esperanza, a young girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, life is an endless landscape of concrete and run-down tenements, and she tries to rise above the hopelessness.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,732,602 books! | Top bar: Always visible