The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros

The House on Mango Street (original 1984; edition 1991)

by Sandra Cisneros

5,337120817 (3.62)116
Member:Limelite
Title:The House on Mango Street
Authors:Sandra Cisneros
Info:Vintage (1991), Paperback, 110 pages
Tags:Fiction, literature, contemporary fiction, Cuban immigrant experience

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros (1984)

English (117)  Spanish (1)  All languages (118)
It was ok, but because of the nature of it (short vignettes) I found myself forgetting what I'd read. Each clip has some great things in them, but I like being able to tie things together and these were all unrelated. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
“The House on Mango Street” is a story from the point of view of a young Mexican-American girl. Through her words and the addition of poems, readers are taken through her journey and struggle to find her place in the world and the run-down Latino community she lives in. This book would most likely appeal to an audience made up of young women who are experiencing the transition into adolescence. They would be able to connect to the young girl in the story, and possibly what she is going through. This book does a great job capturing the transition from childhood to adolescence, which is important for a child going into middle school to read about and understand. ( )
  alines1 | Nov 13, 2013 |
Short novel of a teenage Mexican-American girl in Chicago. Good insight into her life. ( )
  Fernhill | Aug 20, 2013 |
This is a coming of age book, written in vignettes on Mango Street in Chicago. The narrator is Esperanza, a young Hispanic girl who shares her insights about present day life and and confirms her high hopes for the future...and a life free of poverty and violence.
  Kelslynn | Aug 15, 2013 |
A las Mujeres
(To the Women)
We didn't alway live on Mango Street.

Acclaimed by critics, beloved by readers of all ages, taught everywhere from inner-city grade schools to universities across the country, and translated all over the world, The House on Mango Street is the remarkable story of Esperanza Cordero.

Told in a series of vignettes – sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes deeply joyous – it is the story of a young Latina girl growing up in Chicago, inventing for herself who and what she will become. Few other books in our time have touched so many readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:40 -0400)

For Esperanza, a young girl growing up in the Hispanic quarter of Chicago, life is an endless landscape of concrete and run-down tenements, and she tries to rise above the hopelessness.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,559,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible