When the Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs

When the Wind Blows (1982)

by Raymond Briggs

Follows an elderly couple's preparations for a nuclear attack in cartoon form. Suggested level: secondary.

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
When the Wind Blows was much different than I expected it would be. It's much lighter in content and has an almost juvenile appearance, neither things I expected for a graphic novel about survivors of an atomic bomb. Of course, what I hadn't realized before starting this short tale is that Raymond Briggs was an author of children's books (The Snowman anyone?) and that this book was published in 1982, way before the advent of the modern graphic novel.

The focus of this story is entirely on an elderly couple in the days leading up to, and after, a nuclear attack. Sounds heartbreaking, doesn't it? But both husband and wife are a bit daft, so their attempts to outlast the bomb and its effects are absurd. Despite the ridiculousness of their attempts, there is a sweet innocence about this couple that provides the necessary blow to the reader. As husband and wife grow splotchy and begin to fall apart, the haunting reality that this is not funny sets in.

This is a simple story that has some chilling effects. It's not an exceptional story for its plot, language, or even illustrations, but it does strip away any bravado one might have for nuclear warfare. ( )
  chrisblocker | Nov 11, 2019 |
Always like Raymond Briggs works but this one gave me nightmares for year's ( )
  BellaJean | Sep 11, 2019 |
One of the best comics I've read. Perfect in every way. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
I picked this up on our weekly trip to the library, it immediately caught my attention on a display at the entrance, although another patron did try to warn me off that it is too depressing. I can't believe I've never heard of it before. In graphic novel form, with artwork very similar to that of his most famous children's book The Snowman, we follow a couple as they make preparations and live through the early days of nuclear war. It takes the mickey out of contradictory and completely pointless advice that was given around the time of publication (1982). It is rather bleak, but I like bleak. I don't suppose nuclear war is much less likely these days than it was 30 years ago, more so perhaps. Happy thoughts.... ( )
  eclecticdodo | Jun 21, 2016 |
Harrowing and beautiful. Deserves nothing less than 5 stars for making me tear up on a Sunday afternoon. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Mar 20, 2015 |

Raymond Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Groen, MauritsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Cheerio Jim"
"Cheerio"

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,343,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible