Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary…

Hailstones and Halibut Bones (1961)

by Mary O'Neill

This is hands down my favorite poetry book. I love the imagery and the words used to describe the 12 colors. There is also a video that can be found on United Streaming that accompanies the book. It is probably available on youtube as well. Students are inspired to create their own color poems after sharing this poetry book. I usually have them do a share, and read their poem and the others have to guess their color. There are tons of fun lessons out there surrounding this magical book. ( )
  Taranto | Dec 2, 2014 |
1- The two poems i liked the most in this book of poems was the color purple and what is gold. These two stood out to me because they are written about the colors but they are still written so beautifully. They both are about colors so they have that in common.
2- Personal Reaction: I really enjoyed this book of poems very much. I really liked the two that i chose to list above because they were very detailed and though out.
3- Classroom Ext. Ideas: I could use this book in the classroom when teaching my kids about colors. I could also use a poem for each individual color because the book has almost every color.
  KelseaSchlumbohm | Nov 10, 2014 |
Summary:
This poetry book is about the colors of the spectrum. My two favorite poems are about the colors purple and green. The purple poem talks about time is purple just before night and how it is a beautiful sight. Purple is a bruise, next day will tell where you land and fell. The green talks about the grass and the leaves, and what the country feels like. It gives this warmth of happiness when reading it.

Person Reaction:
This is a cute children's poetry book. It will help teach this colors and has a fun way of teaching them. I would definitely read this in a lower elementary classroom.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I would read this when teaching about colors.
2. I would have them write a little poem over their favorite color.
  olivialawson | Apr 12, 2014 |
Summary:
Hailstones and Halibut Bones is a collection of color poems. Each poem is unique and expresses the authors feelings for each color.
Personal Reflection:
The illustrations are amazing in this book. I immediately found my favorite color and read it. These are all wonderful and brilliant poems.
Classroom Extension Ideas:
1) Have the students create their own color poems
2) Read these at the beginning of each color we will be learning.
  KayleeLandry | Nov 16, 2013 |
1) No Awards

2) K-2

3) Hailstones and Halibut Bones a poetry book about colors. Each section of the book addresses a different color and finds ways to relate the colors to everyday experiences. These experiences consist of clothing, animals, people, and even emotions and feelings. It is a very simple read and would beneficial for younger children.

4) One activity a teacher can perform with a classroom is to have students make their own list of objects and feelings they experience with a color of their choosing.
  Dorfster | Oct 6, 2011 |

Mary O'Neillprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wallner, John C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisgard, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like acrobats on a high trapeze
The Colors pose and bend their knees
Twist and turn and leap and blend
Into shapes and feelings without end...
Time is purple
Just before night
When most people
Turn on the light --
But if you don't it's
A beautiful sight.

Since its original publication in 1961, Hailstones And Halibut Bones, Mary O'Neill's renowned work of poetry about the colors of the spectrum, has become a modern children's classic. This newly illustrated edition features lavish full-color illustrations from an award-winning artist, yet the poems have been left intact with all the powerful rhythm and rich language of the original.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:46 -0400)

Twelve poems reflect the author's feelings about various colors.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible