Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary O'Neill

Hailstones and Halibut Bones (1961)

by Mary O'Neill

What is orange? What is pink? What is white? Mary O’Neill’s book of poetry about the colors of the spectrum is a modern children’s classic. In 12 vivid poems, colors are explored, showing how each one can be heard, touched, smelled, and seen.
  wichitafriendsschool | Sep 19, 2017 |
1- The two poems i liked the most in this book of poems was the color purple and what is gold. These two stood out to me because they are written about the colors but they are still written so beautifully. They both are about colors so they have that in common.
2- Personal Reaction: I really enjoyed this book of poems very much. I really liked the two that i chose to list above because they were very detailed and though out.
3- Classroom Ext. Ideas: I could use this book in the classroom when teaching my kids about colors. I could also use a poem for each individual color because the book has almost every color.
  John.Gonzalez | Jul 24, 2017 |
Each poem is a color and how it blends in with nature. Great tool to teach younger children about poetry and colors. ( )
  librarybird08 | Jul 9, 2017 |
I LOVED this book. This was just incredible. I loved the artistry and the poems. Excellent. I debated on whether I wanted to purchase it or not. I am still deciding. ( )
  MeganTrue | Mar 18, 2017 |
Hailstones and Halibut Bones by Mary O’Neil newly illustrated by John Wallner

Summary
This collection of poetry has a poem for each color of the rainbow. Each poem has alternating rhyme. Each poem is accompanied by illustrations that complement what is mentioned in the text. Each poem expresses feeling and emotion that is felt with each color. Each color has objects and animals of that color. It compels one to be drawn in to the color and feel the author’s words reflecting off the page. The poetry in this book makes a unified collection of colors that allow the reader to visualize everything that is mentioned.

Reaction
This collection of poetry about color is ideal for children learning about colors. It will also help children grasp the concept of rhyme. Each illustration matches the poem beautifully. This book is one that always makes one use his or her imagination. The vivid details enable one to compose pictures in their mind. The book makes uses of the senses to remind people of the various sights, sounds, smells, and tastes in the book. I hope to use this book in the classroom to teach children about poetry that rhymes and uses illustrations to complement the description. I also hope that from this selection of poems children have an appreciation for how poetry can be full of images and emotion.

Extension
1. I would have children write a poem using their favorite color with illustrations
2. I would have children identify words that rhyme.
3. I would ask children after I read a poem what emotion this poem makes them feel and why.
4. I would have children pick their favorite poem and analyze it for rhyme and other figures of speech.
5. I would have children look at an illustration and tell before reading the poem what the subject is of the poem. ( )
  RebekahBowers | Jul 18, 2016 |

Mary O'Neillprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wallner, John C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weisgard, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Like acrobats on a high trapeze
The Colors pose and bend their knees
Twist and turn and leap and blend
Into shapes and feelings without end...
Time is purple
Just before night
When most people
Turn on the light --
But if you don't it's
A beautiful sight.

Since its original publication in 1961, Hailstones And Halibut Bones, Mary O'Neill's renowned work of poetry about the colors of the spectrum, has become a modern children's classic. This newly illustrated edition features lavish full-color illustrations from an award-winning artist, yet the poems have been left intact with all the powerful rhythm and rich language of the original.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:33 -0400)

Twelve poems reflect the author's feelings about various colors.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,392,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible