Why Nations Go to War by John G. Stoessinger

Why Nations Go to War

by John G. Stoessinger

Recently added byJLNavy, private library, ddguthrie, Ty-1987, aulsmith, kerpami, zguba, MJP281, RobertMosher

This is an excellent book, with one of the most touching epilogues I have ever read.
I also do recognize the fact that Stoellinger has experienced World War II, and therefore is a very good person to be able to review war. This is a scholarly bit of work, and there is a wealth of detail in the book. The analysis, in my view, is very good. However, hindsight is a great thing, and when I read the book, I wonder at human stupidity and greed. Could so much war and destruction have been avoided if people had acted with some wisdom and with some common sense. But, war can be a macho act, and people love to go to war for dubious reasons.

This is an excellent bit of work, with nary a word out of place. ( )
  RajivC | Jun 1, 2013 |

Transmitting an understanding of warfare from World War I to the present, WHY NATIONS GO TO WAR, a unique book and a product of reflection by author, John G. Stoessinger, is built around ten case studies, culminating in the new wars that ushered in the twenty-first century: Iraq, Afghanistan, and the wars between Arabs and Israelis in Gaza and in Lebanon. The distinguishing feature of the book remains the author's emphasis on the pivotal role of the personalities of leaders who take their nations, or their following, across the threshold into war.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,018,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible