Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Soul Eater (2006)

by Michelle Paver

Series: Chronicles of Ancient Darkness (book 3)

When Wolf is taken by the Soul-Eaters, Torak must infiltrate their clan to bring him back.

English (8)  Dutch (1)  All languages (9)
-0.37
  johnrid11 | Feb 14, 2016 |
My daughter had four of the six books in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series out from the library at the same time, rushing through one after another. I've been trying to catch up with her, so when I finished Spirit Walker (book 2), I picked up Outcast, thinking it was book 3.

As I read, I had a feeling that something was missing, that Paver was making references to things I didn't remember, but I thought maybe she was just changing up the formula a bit, keeping the reader in suspense and planning to reveal the rest of the story later. I was 90 pages into Outcast when I finally looked at the spine of the book and saw that it was book 4, not book 3. So, I set Outcast aside and got Soul Eater from my daughter.

What's funny is that near the end of Soul Eater, Paver actually uses the technique I'd suspected her of at the beginning of Outcast. We've got this period of lost time in which this thing happens that makes it so Torak has to keep another secret from the Raven clan and sets up the conflict for the next book (although I didn't realize the period of time was lost until Paver mentioned it, and I still can't figure out when exactly this particular scene could have happened).

The books still tell a fairly intriguing story, but I think I'm growing weary of them. Torak just can't seem to catch a break, and that grows tiresome. He's really not learning a lot along the way, either; every book he makes the same mistakes, relying too much on himself and not enough on his friends, keeping secrets when he should be confiding in those he can trust. Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and Torak are all cut from the same cloth, it seems. I can only hope that this means that Torak will eventually grow from his experiences rather just getting into---and out of---scrapes over and over and over again. I'd really like to see the series turn into a coming-of-age story. He's the right age for it, but so far, I'm not seeing a lot of evidence that's going to happen.

I don't know. I do like the idea in the stories that the potential for evil actions lives in each of us, the whole "chasing demons and soul eaters" thing is just getting a little old. But the books don't take very long to read, and my daughter really likes talking to me about them, so I'll probably finish the series. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Sep 27, 2013 |
My overall favourite of the series. This book set in the Artic, you see all of the remaining Soul Eaters from book 2. Torak and Renn follow three Soul Eaters into the frozen north. But their adventure soon goes pear shaped when Renn finds she is frightened of the ice rivers, due to personal reasons. ( )
  spud2000 | Feb 16, 2011 |
This book is about a boy called Torak and a girl named Renn. This time they are hunting in the north when Wolf get captured. Torak and Renn travel into the far north. While in the far north they get lost and found by a white fox man named Inuktiluk. He takes them to his camp where they get supplies. They travel then by boat to the Eye of the Viper. When there they get inside the cave where they find Wolf. They find out that he was taken by the soul eaters. They destroy one of the soul eaters and the other get away, but they get Wolf back and make it to the forest safely.
So far I like this book the best of the three I have read. I like this book the best because there was a lot more action. There were much more soul eaters. You learn more about Toraks history and more about the soul eaters. I really like haw he has gone from the forest, to some islands, and now to the far north. There are always more people in the books. I think so far the Soul Eater book is the best. ( )
  AaronKAwsome | Nov 23, 2010 |
This book is 9 points
The level is 4.8
This book is really scary and very wild. ( )
  9dp01bev | Sep 8, 2008 |

Michelle Paverprimary authorall editionscalculated
Orcese, AlessandraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, GeoffIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Torak didn't want it to be an omen.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,738,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible