Academic Curveball by James J. Cudney

Academic Curveball (edition 2018)

by James J. Cudney (Author)

1111,186,262 (3.5)None
Member:jbergerot
Title:Academic Curveball
Authors:James J. Cudney (Author)
Info:Creativia (2018), Edition: 3, 283 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebooks

Academic Curveball by James J. Cudney

No tags.

This is the third book I have read by James Cudney, and this is quite a different book from the other two. There are some similarities, such as a dysfunctional family, but this is a cozy mystery, with some humour. Kellan Ayrwick is a single father following the death of his wife in an accident. He has returned home for his father's retirement celebration as well as to meet and talk to a woman who has a story for the reality television show he works for. The woman, who promised to give some dirt to Kellan's boss on trouble behind-the-scenes at Braxton College, ends up being killed, Kellan steps in and begins to investigate. With the help of an old friend and head of security, Collin, the begrudging tidbits of information from the sheriff, the case heats up before the murderer is found.

Many of the characters in this book were extremely unlikable. Kellan's parents were too busy to spend time with family members and had actually driven several siblings away. Even though Kellan's sister Eleanor lived in town, there was no relationship between her and her parents. In fact, Eleanor and Kellan really didn't have much of a relationship either, they met up when one of them wanted something from the other one. Then there is Nana D. She is the humour in the story. She is a smart, sassy, busybody who loves Kellan and in her own way helps him figure things out. Add in the college employees, many of them rather bitter and nasty, some students who were involved in the mystery and you have an intersting mix. This was a good mystery dealing with sports, college politics, families, flawed characters with a huge surprise at the end. There were enough of red herrings to keep me changing my mind about the culprit and their identity was a total surprise as well as the motive. It made sense when it was all laid out though. My one complaint is that this is a longer book than most of the cozies I have read, but there was enough to keep me reading. Kellan is a great MC, with a lot of baggage yet to be unpacked. I am very interested to see where this series will go next, especially with the surprise at the end. The author generously provided me with a copy of this book to read. The rating, opinions and ideas are my own. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,349,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible