The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

The Christmas Train (edition 2004)

by David Baldacci

Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:The Christmas Train
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Warner Books (2004), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Read, Read in 2012

The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MikeBriggs)
    The Edge by Dick Francis (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Trans-continental train journeys full of railway atmosphere. The Edge has more suspense, while The Christmas Train is light and cheerful.

English (51)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (53)
good @ train and people at Xmas

Disillusioned journalist Tom Langdon must get from Washington D.C. to L.A in time for Christmas. Forced to travel by train, he begins a journey of rude awakenings, thrilling adventures and holiday magic. He has no idea that the locomotives pulling him across America will actually take him into the rugged terrain of his own heart, as he rediscovers people's essential goodness and someone very special he believed he had lost.
  christinejoseph | Sep 24, 2016 |
Not a romance kinda girl. But it's Baldacci so I said: Why not? The answer is because I'm not a romance kinda girl. This very short book was tedious and slow moving. There was some interesting information about trains and Raton, Colorado (my home state) but otherwise it was a snooze fest.

Right up until disaster strikes and then it was just laughable. I'm think Baldacci needed to do less research on trains and more on blizzards in Colorado. How all was resolved, on multiple fronts, in two pages literally had me laughing out loud. ( )
  she_climber | Aug 21, 2016 |
The Christmas Train is the story of Tom Langdon, a hard bitten war correspondent who sets off on a cross country train trip just before Christmas. It was one of his late father's last requests and Tom has finally decided to fulfill it. Along the way he meets a variety of interesting people. He is also reunited with the love of his life, Eleanor. He let her walk out of his life and has always regretted it.

It's very typical of the style of book that is popular as a Christmas read. You already know it's going to be filled with heart warming stories and quirky people who band together and help each other during the Christmas season. Sometimes when writers go outside their usual genre, the result can be disappointing. While I much prefer Baldacci's thrillers, he does tell a nice feel-good story. I wouldn't rush out and buy this but if you're planning a Christmas read, it has an enjoyable story line, likable characters, and a positive message. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
This was so much fun! I loved that this story took place on a train traveling across our beautiful country. The humor was entertaining and all of the characters were colorful and unique. In fact, even though I know this was written in modern times, I visualized the characters as the movie stars from the silver screen, with Danny Kaye playing our frustrated, world-traveled, journalist-hero. He made the perfect Tom in my mind. The plot moved quickly, with several stories that all came together in the close confines of the train. The last few chapters were really exciting, too. I loved the ending, especially since I thought I had the big "mystery" all figured out, buy I was so WRONG! Ha!

This would be a great story to listen to while cooking Christmas cookies in the kitchen, wrapping presents, or making any holiday preparations. It will definitely get you in the Christmas spirit! Enjoy!

Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
This had the potential to be a really fun book, but it read at times like a propaganda piece for Amtrak, lobbying heavily for American rail.

It was a typical Christmas book in that there are numerous characters fulfilling different roles, a bit of a problem to solve, and a happy ending. It was very easy to read and had a bit of a twist at the end. I would recommend this. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
This novel is dedicated to everyone who loves trains and holidays.
Tom Langdon was a journalist, a globetrotting one, because it was in his blood to roam widely.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446615757, Mass Market Paperback)

This edition of the "New York Times" bestseller--a heartwarming tale of humor, romance, and mystery by the bestselling author of "Split Second"--includes the brand-new short story, "Waiting for Santa." "Baldacci whips up a pleasant holiday confection."--"People."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:08 -0400)

Tom Langdon, a weary and cash-strapped journalist, is banned from flying when a particularly thorough airport security search causes him to lose his cool. Now, he must take the train if he has any chance of arriving in Los Angeles in time for Christmas with his girlfriend. To finance the trip, he sells a story about a train ride taken during the Christmas season.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,806,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible