The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

The Christmas Train (edition 2004)

by David Baldacci

Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:The Christmas Train
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Warner Books (2004), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Read, Read in 2012

The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MikeBriggs)
    The Edge by Dick Francis (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Trans-continental train journeys full of railway atmosphere. The Edge has more suspense, while The Christmas Train is light and cheerful.

English (49)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (51)
The Christmas Train is the story of Tom Langdon, a hard bitten war correspondent who sets off on a cross country train trip just before Christmas. It was one of his late father's last requests and Tom has finally decided to fulfill it. Along the way he meets a variety of interesting people. He is also reunited with the love of his life, Eleanor. He let her walk out of his life and has always regretted it.

It's very typical of the style of book that is popular as a Christmas read. You already know it's going to be filled with heart warming stories and quirky people who band together and help each other during the Christmas season. Sometimes when writers go outside their usual genre, the result can be disappointing. While I much prefer Baldacci's thrillers, he does tell a nice feel-good story. I wouldn't rush out and buy this but if you're planning a Christmas read, it has an enjoyable story line, likable characters, and a positive message. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jun 16, 2016 |
This was so much fun! I loved that this story took place on a train traveling across our beautiful country. The humor was entertaining and all of the characters were colorful and unique. In fact, even though I know this was written in modern times, I visualized the characters as the movie stars from the silver screen, with Danny Kaye playing our frustrated, world-traveled, journalist-hero. He made the perfect Tom in my mind. The plot moved quickly, with several stories that all came together in the close confines of the train. The last few chapters were really exciting, too. I loved the ending, especially since I thought I had the big "mystery" all figured out, buy I was so WRONG! Ha!

This would be a great story to listen to while cooking Christmas cookies in the kitchen, wrapping presents, or making any holiday preparations. It will definitely get you in the Christmas spirit! Enjoy!

Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
This had the potential to be a really fun book, but it read at times like a propaganda piece for Amtrak, lobbying heavily for American rail.

It was a typical Christmas book in that there are numerous characters fulfilling different roles, a bit of a problem to solve, and a happy ending. It was very easy to read and had a bit of a twist at the end. I would recommend this. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
Book on CD read by Tim Matheson
2.5**

Former war correspondent turned magazine features writer Tom Langdon is taking the train from Washington DC to Los Angeles to spend Christmas with his girlfriend. He’s also researching an article on modern-day train travel. Having in mind the spacious compartments of classic movies, he’s in for a rude awakening, but he certainly finds plenty of interesting characters to profile, including a young couple planning to wed on the train, a big-name movie producer, a Bohemian fortune teller, a retired priest, and a woman who is such a frequent passenger everyone knows her. There is also a thief aboard.

I’d never read anything by Baldacci before and somehow thought of him as a writer of “legal thrillers” so I was surprised to find this holiday romance with a little bit of mystery involved. I was quickly drawn into the story. I loved Regina and Roxanne, the two women Amtrak employees who showed such an interest in their passengers, though I thought several of the other characters were little more than caricatures. I had figured out who the thief was fairly early and this part of the story seemed really incidental to the central romance, so I’m not sure why Baldacci even included it. For the genre, it was fairly entertaining, but the resolution of the central conflict was just too over the top for me. The novel lost a half star with that.

Tim Mathewson does a fine job performing the audio book. He is a gifted voice artist and had many different voices for the big cast of characters. The audio also includes sound effects of train whistles and the clackity clack of rail cars over the rails, as well as some seasonal music. Usually this kind of embellishment irritates me, but it really added to the atmosphere of this story.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Read this book for my library's book club; the second Baldacci novel. I like his style of writing and this book is the perfect little Christmas adventure. Could almost see it being made into one of those Hallmark Christmas movies. Good set of characters and lots of fun facts and stories about trains, especially Amtrak... and especially two lines, the Capitol Limited and the Southwest Chief. This novel has love, adventure, scheming, mystery, and heart. A corny, but good read... especially at this time of year! ( )
  Randall.Hansen | Dec 9, 2015 |
This novel is dedicated to everyone who loves trains and holidays.
Tom Langdon was a journalist, a globetrotting one, because it was in his blood to roam widely.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446615757, Mass Market Paperback)

This edition of the "New York Times" bestseller--a heartwarming tale of humor, romance, and mystery by the bestselling author of "Split Second"--includes the brand-new short story, "Waiting for Santa." "Baldacci whips up a pleasant holiday confection."--"People."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:08 -0400)

Tom Langdon, a weary and cash-strapped journalist, is banned from flying when a particularly thorough airport security search causes him to lose his cool. Now, he must take the train if he has any chance of arriving in Los Angeles in time for Christmas with his girlfriend. To finance the trip, he sells a story about a train ride taken during the Christmas season.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,870,663 books! | Top bar: Always visible