The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

The Christmas Train (edition 2004)

by David Baldacci

Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:The Christmas Train
Authors:David Baldacci
Info:Warner Books (2004), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Read, Read in 2012

The Christmas Train by David Baldacci

Skipping Christmas by John Grisham (MikeBriggs)
    The Edge by Dick Francis (SylviaC)
    SylviaC: Trans-continental train journeys full of railway atmosphere. The Edge has more suspense, while The Christmas Train is light and cheerful.

English (40)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (42)
Great little read. Read it every year. ( )
  pife43 | Jul 23, 2014 |
Tom Langdon is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist who used to write important stories from war zones but now he writes fluff pieces. His latest assignment is to write about his experiences crossing the country by train at Christmas. On the way, he encounters a famous director and his film crew which includes his first love, the girl who got away years ago and whom he still loves. When the director learns of Langdon’s assignment, he sees movie potential and wants Langdon and his old girlfriend to work together to come up with a possible movie outline. They do so reluctantly but, along the journey, they may just find each other again.

The Christmas Train is mostly a heartwarming tale of loves lost and found, of redemption and forgiveness, and of the true meaning of Christmas. There are some very likable and eccentric characters with some sweet, charming, and often humorous tales to tell. However, this is, after all David Balducci so you won’t be surprised to learn that there is a bit of a mystery as well as more than a little of the thriller in the story.

I know, I know, you’re thinking why would you want to read a Christmas tale at this time of the year even if it is by a master storyteller like Balducci Well, I don’t know about you but I have had it up to here already with winter and, with those pesky ground rodents predicting six more weeks of the same (who asked them anyway), a tale full of the spirit of Christmas seems perfect to help me get back into the spirit of winter or at least give me an excuse to put the shovel away for a few hours. ( )
  lostinalibrary | Feb 4, 2014 |
A host characters ride a train together right before Christmas. A quirky story filled with mystery, intrigue and love - all told in a lighthearted manner. Not a typical Baldacci story. A good book to bring out at Christmas time. ( )
  sunnydrk | Dec 19, 2013 |
The very best I can say about this book is that it is thoroughly mediocre. The aughor does write grammatical sentences. The plotting could have been OK... if every single event had not been telegraphed way in advance, to spare the readers any risk of a surprise. Of the 2 "twist" parts of the ending, one was completely predictable, and the other not even remotely plausible.

Also, it is full of "heartwarming lessons" about the Spriti of Christmas, the nature of God, and these are just trite and usually smarmy.

The "humor" is particularly badly done, and even scenes that ought to read like a farce simply don't; the writing is both too wordy and too earnest to be amusing.

The only use I can see for this book is if there is noting better available, and/or you need something to read that has uterly no risk of getting you engrossed or making you think. ( )
  cissa | Dec 12, 2013 |
I really like David Baldacci’s thrillers and was a bit surprised to see that he had written The Christmas Train. I guess I’m as guilty as anyone else when it comes to thinking writers of a particular genre are just going to write in that genre – doh – of course they aren’t. Like the rest of us, they’d be pretty boring if they were only interested in one thing. I would classify this novel as not just a heartwarming holiday novel, with all the prerequisites for that genre, but also a cozy mystery. It’s a fun, quick read and just the thing to get you in the holiday spirit. Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=6888. ( )
  PopcornReads | Dec 10, 2013 |
This novel is dedicated to everyone who loves trains and holidays.
Tom Langdon was a journalist, a globetrotting one, because it was in his blood to roam widely.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446615757, Mass Market Paperback)

This edition of the "New York Times" bestseller--a heartwarming tale of humor, romance, and mystery by the bestselling author of "Split Second"--includes the brand-new short story, "Waiting for Santa." "Baldacci whips up a pleasant holiday confection."--"People."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:00 -0400)

Tom Langdon, a weary and cash-strapped journalist, is banned from flying when a particularly thorough airport security search causes him to lose his cool. Now, he must take the train if he has any chance of arriving in Los Angeles in time for Christmas with his girlfriend. To finance the trip, he sells a story about a train ride taken during the Christmas season.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,890,368 books! | Top bar: Always visible