War Beneath the Sea: Submarine Conflict…

War Beneath the Sea: Submarine Conflict During World War II

by Peter Padfield

I entered the submarine service less than two decades after the last World War ended and served on two submarines from that conflict. As such, I was familiar with the role of the United States submarine service in the Pacific. However, I was totally ignorant of the escapades of our allies and the Axis powers in the Pacific as well as in the European theater. This book filled in those gaps. I found it a compelling read. ( )
  Willard_Paul | Dec 31, 2017 |
Not too long a book - at 652 pages of which 10% is references etc. which I didn't read. However, this is a dense book and chock full of detail but, I must add, not a hard read.

It covers the submarine campaigns of WWII and focuses on its main protagonists - certainly the Germans and understandably the most detail, the US mainly in the Pacific, the Brits mainly in the Med, the Indian/Pacific, and Norway, and less on the Japanese and the Italians. I wondered if I should read this book as the ground is well trod however, I am glad I did. Its scope is broad - the history and lead up to WWII, the equipment, the campaigns, strategies, the leaders, the men, and the action. relating to the latter - there was an awful lot of information on the actions - the patrols, the crews, and their victims and pursuers. A lot of attention was also paid to the political and military leadership that on all sides failed to realize the submarine potential and the military leaders who selfishly seeked to hinder the "silent services".

I am very glad I read this and 'twas worthwhile and I certainly expanded my knowledge on the underwater campaigns which are central to the outcome of WWII. ( )
  martinhughharvey | Jun 1, 2015 |
Stands out for its broad coverage of both the Atlantic and Pacific theatres of war. ( )
1 vote jontseng | Jan 9, 2007 |

Praise for War Beneath the Sea
"I am truly filled with awe and admiration...fascinating and a great contribution to the entire lore of submarines.... I wish I had written the book." ?Capt. Edward L. Beach, USN (Ret.) author of Run Silent, Run Deep

"Peter Padfield is the best British naval historian of his generation now working. [His] book...will now become the standard work on the subject." ?Daily Telegraph (London)

"Peter Padfield has produced by far the best and most complete critical history of the submarine operations of all the combatants in the Second World War, at the same time providing vivid narrative accounts of particular actions and events." ?Lloyd?s List (London)

"An excellent account of submarine warfare in 1939?45... [it] recreates the tribulations and horrors of that especially brutal form of warfare within a sturdily analytical and often critical framework." ?The Economist

"[A] marvelously complete and detailed study of World War II submarine warfare...an interesting, serious, and timely book." ?Houston Chronicle

"A brilliant submarine warfare study." ?Military Review

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:45 -0400)

Submarine conflict during World War II.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,747,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible