A Time to Sow by Dayton Ward
On the cusp of their epic battle with Shinzon, many of Captain Jean-Luc Picard's long-time crew were heading for new assignments and new challenges. Among the changes were William Riker's promotion to captain and his new command, Riker's marriage to Counselor Deanna Troi, and Dr. Beverly Crusher's new career at Starfleet Medical. But the story of what set them on a path away from the Starship Enterprise has never been told. Until now. More than two centuries ago, the Dokaalan sent an unmanned probe into the void, bearing a distress call for anyone who could save their doomed world. But the message reached Federation space too late to save the planet or its people. Or so it was believed.... Generations later, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the Enterprise-E are stunned to discover the last of the Dokaalan -- now only a colony fighting to stay alive in a decrepit asteroid mining complex. Although their home planet was destroyed long ago, the survivors hope to someday transform a nearby planet into a new home for their people. But bitter divisions exist among the Dokaalan, sowing the seeds of sabotage and terrorism -- and placing Picard and the Enterprise in the middle of an escalating crisis that can only lead to total destruction!… (more)

This book spent a great deal of time explaining the crew's emotional reaction to their "punishment" from Starfleet. It is part of a larger series. I understand that it is necessary to explain thought processes because the purpose of this series is to tell why the crew left the Enterprise after Nemesis.

The middle of the book was a bit boring as the Enterprise crew began to suspect sabotage or terrorism on the Dokolan outposts. It would have been nice if they could have come to that conclusion a little faster, or done something about it sooner. I guess I am just annoyed that they could not find the spy in their midst.

This book is a cliff hanger leaving hundreds in life and death situations at the end. That is the drawback of the "A Time to..." series, you keep having to buy the next book. ( )
  RKoletteL | Aug 22, 2013 |

Dayton Wardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dilmore, Kevinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Writing is not something I have practiced much of in the past, at least not in any capacity that did not involve my work, but the crisis that is befalling us compels me to record my feelings and thoughts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,825,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible