The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction by R.…

The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction (1978)

by R. V. Cassill (Editor)

Series: Norton Anthologies

When I was studying English for undergrad, I had to purchase an excessive number of copies of literature textbooks and anthologies. This was one of them, which will most likely never be used again, but considering it cost me as much as it did, it'll stick around for a bit longer.
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
  lulaa | May 11, 2014 |
This behemoth of an anthology offers an assortment of fabulous short stories from authors ranging across the globe and spanning decades. The anthology is over 1700 pages long; it arranges the stories in alphabetical order according to the author's last name, and begins with a couple of introductory essays that examine the nature of short fiction. The last hundred or so pages focus on the art of writing with small essays and interviews by authors about various aspects of their creative art. Readers will find many big names associated with short fiction, such as Hemingway and Chekhov, Carver and Munro ... and more, much more, but just listing the many authors would take far too much space.

The vast diversity of this collection makes it difficult to review. Although all the selections are joined together by their format, they demonstrate the versatility of the genre when penned by talented writers. I loved many of these stories, liked most of them, and only disliked a handful (not because they weren't elegantly crafted, but because the subject matter bothered me too much). The edition includes a marvelous example of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's magical realism, "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World", and a novella by Thomas Mann, "Death in Venice". You can read a classic of irony and feminism by Kate Chopin, "The Story of an Hour" or discover the traditional short story form perfected in John Steinbeck's "The Chrysanthemums". Maybe ponder Joyce Carlo Oates's story that plays with narrative structure, "How I Contemplated the World from the Detroit House of Correction and Began My Life Over Again". Or find some of your own favorites out of the countless works of art represented here.

Norton is a fabulous publisher of literary and critical texts, so when you see their name on a book, you know it is a safe bet. Here again they demonstrate their ability, selecting a mountain of worthy short stories, and framing them with critical essays that are brief and simply set up the anthology, letting the stories speak for themselves. For a reader who is a lover of this genre, a student who is studying reading or writing, or a newcomer looking for an introduction to short fiction, this book is absolutely my top choice out of all the collections of literary short fiction that I have read. I recommend it as a stunning collection that would grace every library. ( )
1 vote nmhale | Jul 8, 2013 |
A great collection of short stories. This is a great, smaller, anthology for the fan of short fiction. ( )
2 vote kdaugherty | Sep 14, 2008 |

Cassill, R. V.Editorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bausch, RichardEditormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
We got up at four in the morning, that first day in the East.

A bestseller from first publication, The Norton Anthology of Short Fiction has been adopted in over 750 schools in its Fifth Edition. From the start, it has offered students the writer's voice, pure and unencumbered by excessive editorial commentary. This new Sixth Edition continues to abide by R.V. Cassill's initial plan: "to put together a very large group of stories that would, in detail and overall design, express both the living tradition of short fiction and the culture of which it is a part."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:38 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,817,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible