The End of the World as We Know It: Scenes…

The End of the World as We Know It: Scenes from a Life

by Robert Goolrick

2302050,307 (3.84)13
    Stitches: A Memoir by David Small (tangledthread)
    tangledthread: Both stories deal with painful, traumatic childhood experiences that have life long consequences.
    Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (tangledthread)

Very good memoir. Funny, sharp, yet tragic at the same time. Highly recommend. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Very sad, painful life. ( )
  kmmsb459 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Well written memoir, but I'm not sure what to think about this book. Except it's very sad. This left me feeling full of anxiety for the author. I honestly do not know what to expect from his next book A Reliable Wife which I will be reading soon.
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
  Judy_Ryfinski | Jan 20, 2016 |
What a sad, painful story with some dark humor, but IMO not really funny as some other reviews have stated. Although the book is written in beautiful prose, it reminds me of the graphic novels of Alison Bechdel [Fun Home] and David Small [Stitches: A Memoir]
The writing is compelling, but the story is so painful at times that I had to put it down for a few hours.
Family secrets are so toxic, especially for children. ( )
  tangledthread | May 27, 2015 |

"It was the 1950s, a time of calm, a time when all things were new and everything seemed possible. A few years before, a noble war had been won, and now life had returned to normal." "For one little boy, however, life had become anything but "normal."" "To all appearances, he and his family lived an almost idyllic life. The father was a respected professor, the mother a witty and elegant lady, someone everyone loved. They were parents to three bright, smiling children: two boys and a girl. They lived on a sunny street in a small college town nestled neatly in a leafy valley. They gave parties, hosted picnics, went to church - just like their neighbors. To all appearances, their life seemed ideal. But it was, in fact, all appearances." "Lineage, tradition, making the right impression - these were matters of great importance, especially to the mother. But behind the facade this family had created lurked secrets so dark, so painful for this one little boy, that his life would never be the same." "It is through the eyes of that boy - a grown man now, revisiting that time - that we see this seemingly serene world and watch as it slowly comes completely and irrevocably undone."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,215,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible