The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette by…

The Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette (2005)

by Carolly Erickson

The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both books are historical fiction based on women often trying to follow their own desires in a time when their gender was often rendered powerless.

English (25)  Italian (1)  All (26)
a good attempt at bringing this character to life in a sympathetic way. it is a bit of a sad read, because of course you know how it will end. the journal-entry format works well since this story has to be told by the first-person viewpoint, which unavoidably comes off as one-sided and a bit flat. recommended to those who like their historical fiction on the lightweight side. ( )
  Darth-Heather | May 31, 2016 |
biographical fiction that recounts the life of Marie Antionette from age 12 till her death. I am usually indifferent to historical fiction but this book has sparked an interest for me. Cant wait to read some of the authors other works ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Having virtually no prior knowledge of the life of Marie Antoinette, I cannot judge this book on its historical accuracy. Being a historical fiction novel (written in diary form), I'm sure the author has to take liberties here & there, but I trust that the "facts" are based on historical documents. Having said that, I enjoyed this book simply because it educated me on a topic I knew almost nothing about. However, my overall feeling for the book was sort of "meh". I've certainly read better, but I've probably read worse also. ( )
  indygo88 | Feb 21, 2015 |
I know it's historical fiction, but inaccuracies in this book baffled me so much. As a history buff who has an interest in Marie Antoinette, it was almost insulting how wrong, wrong, wrong a lot of things were. I wish I could get back the time I wasted reading this. ( )
  Rosedgrdo | Jun 16, 2014 |
To Raffaello
They say the fearsome thing doesn't always work well.

Imagine that, on the night before she is to die under the blade of the guillotine, Marie Antoinette leaves behind in her prison cell a diary telling the story of her life—from her privileged childhood as Austrian Archduchess to her years as glamorous mistress of Versailles to the heartbreak of imprisonment and humiliation during the French Revolution.

Carolly Erickson takes the reader deep into the psyche of France’s doomed queen: her love affair with handsome Swedish diplomat Count Axel Fersen, who risked his life to save her; her fears on the terrifying night the Parisian mob broke into her palace bedroom intent on murdering her and her family; her harrowing attempted flight from France in disguise; her recapture and the grim months of harsh captivity; her agony when her beloved husband was guillotined and her young son was torn from her arms, never to be seen again.

Erickson brilliantly captures the queen’s voice, her hopes, her dreads, and her suffering. We follow, mesmerized, as she reveals every detail of her remarkable, eventful life—from her teenage years when she began keeping a diary to her final days when she awaited her own bloody appointment with the guillotine.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

Awaiting her execution, Marie Antoinette writes the story of her life in a diary that describes her privileged childhood as an Austrian archduchess, years as the glamorous mistress of Versailles, her love affair with a handsome Swedish diplomat, flight from France, and imprisonment during the French Revolution.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,768,599 books! | Top bar: Always visible