The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

The Turn of the Key (edition 2019)

by Ruth Ware (Author)

"From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of In a Dark, Dark Wood, The Woman in Cabin 10, The Lying Game, and The Death of Mrs. Westaway comes Ruth Ware's highly anticipated fifth novel. When she stumbles across the ad, she's looking for something else completely. But it seems like too good an opportunity to miss--a live-in nannying post, with a staggeringly generous salary. And when Rowan Caine arrives at Heatherbrae House, she is smitten--by the luxurious "smart" home fitted out with all modern conveniences, by the beautiful Scottish Highlands, and by this picture-perfect family. What she doesn't know is that she's stepping into a nightmare--one that will end with a child dead and herself in prison awaiting trial for murder. Writing to her lawyer from prison, she struggles to explain the unravelling events that led to her incarceration. It wasn't just the constant surveillance from the cameras installed around the house, or the malfunctioning technology that woke the household with booming music, or turned the lights off at the worst possible time. It wasn't just the girls, who turned out to be a far cry from the immaculately behaved model children she met at her interview. It wasn't even the way she was left alone for weeks at a time, with no adults around apart from the enigmatic handyman, Jack Grant. It was everything. She knows she's made mistakes. She admits that she lied to obtain the post, and that her behavior toward the children wasn't always ideal. She's not innocent, by any means. But, she maintains, she's not guilty--at least not of murder. Which means someone else is. Full of spellbinding menace and told in Ruth Ware's signature suspenseful style, The Turn of the Key is an unputdownable thriller from the Agatha Christie of our time"--… (more)
Member:PhonyGal
Title:The Turn of the Key
Authors:Ruth Ware (Author)
Info:Gallery/Scout Press (2019), 352 pages
Tags:Read in 2019

The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Ruth, you gotta write books faster because I am destroying them and loving it. One twist, I didn't see coming. The other one, I hoped I was wrong but loved that I was right. Great book. ( )
  kripley | Oct 17, 2019 |
Not as good as her other books. ( )
  gail616 | Oct 13, 2019 |
Holy freaking creepy suspense. Twists and turns galore. And I was kept guessing till almost the end. The narrative is a letter that Rowan Caine wrote to a prospective attorney as she sits in jail accused of being responsible for the death of a young child. She explains the situation whereby she obtained a position as a caregiver to the three children in a Scottish family. The exorbitant pay should’ve been a tip off, granted, but she decides to take the job, far from her native London. The children are a handful, to say the least, and on her first day on the job the parents inform her that they will be away on business for at least a week. They are architects and the house is a technological nightmare (or dream, depending on your point of view).

I can’t recommend the audio enough. Imogen Church was just excellent interpreting the different voices of the characters. Really outstanding. Perfect creepy read as we approach Halloween. ( )
  brenzi | Oct 5, 2019 |
Ruth Ware is the modern-day queen of gothic mysteries and didn't-see-that-coming plot twists. This is my favorite of hers to date. ( )
  Gingermama | Oct 5, 2019 |
I thought this was a really good book for being my first read from Ruth Ware book but i have to say that I thought Rowan was annoying. At the being of the story emailing the lawyer writing to him every single day if the lawyer wasn't answer her. I didn't care for any of the children like Ellie blaming her for hurting her when Rowan didn't touch her. Or Maddie being a little bitch and controlling bit over her little sister Ellie and Rhiannion I didn't like either. For a 14 year old child dressing like she is going to a club and drinking at a young age. And also i was listening it off of audible i thought the part where the narrator went creepy with the creaking noise. I didn't see that ending coming where Rowan but her real name is Rachel was a child to bill and also Rowan wasn't the one who killed Maddie and she was the one making the phone go off in the attic and all those creepy noise to scare off Rowan and I gave this book a 5 out of 5 star rating and I am looking forward to read Ruth Ware other books. ( )
  kellykelly901 | Oct 4, 2019 |
For Ian, with more love than I know how to put into words
3rd September 2017
Dear Mr. Wrexham,
I know you don't know me but please, please, please you have to help me

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,837,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible