And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson

And Tango Makes Three (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell

Member:audreydodge
Title:And Tango Makes Three
Authors:Justin Richardson
Other authors:Peter Parnell
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:Picture Book 06

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson (2005)

This book is about two penguins who takes care of a loose egg until it hatches. Their desire for a family was the same. Which leads them to taking turns taking care of the egg and keeping it warm. The central message of the story that there are different types of family traditional and nontraditional, but they all need love. It also showed undivided attention and joy that makes a family special. ( )
  jwedderburn | Feb 16, 2017 |
In my opinion this is an amazing book. It takes place in the Central Park Zoos Penguin Exhibit. At first, I thought the book was going to be informational about Penguins. Although I was not completely wrong, since throughout the book, I did learn facts about how penguins mate and take care of their eggs, but the main idea of this book is about same gender relationships. I think that Richardson and Parnell did an amazing job connecting same gender relationships to two penguins wanting raise a family but both of them were males. The language was clear and descriptive and the illustrations enhanced the written words, making the story hard to put down. I really liked this book because it used penguins and how they mate to having feelings for the same sex and wanting to be just like everyone else. I also really enjoyed how the two penguins Roy and Silo received their egg. They were helped by the zookeeper, who noticed they were different and had feelings for each other and all they wanted was to have a family. I think it was a cute and easy read that will help people see that same sex okay and make light on an tough issue. I think this book is good because it is appropriate for low grade levels who may have two daddies or mommies and this could help them see they are normal. I would recommend this book to be read at any age level because it's never too early to instill gender equality and nontraditional family to children, especially in a cute and appropriate way! P.s. it was a true story which made me love it even more!!! ( )
  mscanl1 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Adorable children's book
I love it. So sweet. #loveislove even for penguins :) ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Adorable children's book
I love it. So sweet. #loveislove even for penguins :) ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
This is a realistic fiction story(based on real penguins from NY) about two male penguins named Roy and Silo. Both penguins make and nest together but are unable to have eggs like all the other penguins. The keepers at the New York Central Park Zoo realize their unhappiness and set the penguins up with their own eggs. This book has been at the center of many debates about same-sex marriage and homosexuality in animals.

Teaching Connections: social skills - acceptance lesson, story sequencing, informational study on penguins, making predictions, visualizing, summarizing, making inferences, ( )
  EmmaNicolazzo | Dec 15, 2016 |
Like so much children’s literature, the story here, because it occurs in the context of the animal kingdom, is a parable, and so it may prove less threatening to some who might be troubled by its human implications. (But only to people who have forgotten Aesop and La Fontaine!) What matters supremely is that Tango’s story is actually—like Heather’s—the story of a wanted child born to a set of parents who are devoted first to one another and then to him. Penguins, ahem, are black and white.

Richardson, Justinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parnell, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, HenryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Remin, KatarzynaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lita, for Lucy Jane, and for Maddy and Ben -- J. R. and P. P.
To Nate, and penguin lovers everywhere -- H. C.
In the middle of New York City there is a great big park called Central Park.
We'll call her Tango," Mr. Gramzay decided, "because it takes two to make a Tango."

In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

At New York City's Central Park Zoo, two male penguins fall in love and start a family by taking turns sitting on an abandoned egg until it hatches.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,545,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible