And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson

And Tango Makes Three (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell

Member:ccbell
Title:And Tango Makes Three
Authors:Justin Richardson
Other authors:Peter Parnell
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Banned, K-5th grade, easy, same sex

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson (2005)

This story is that of Roy and Silo, two chinstrap Penguins in the Central Park Zoo in New York. These two penguins are both boys and are both in love with each other and want nothing more then the have a family. Finally they are given that chance and they are allowed to be happy again.

This book is on the 2009 ALA's most challenged list. I can see why this one in due to the subject matter. It was over all a good book and one that I would definitely read to my nephew and my future children to show them that no matter what, everyone should have the chance to have a family. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |

alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
I think the main reason I loved "And Tango Makes Three" is that it's based on a true story. "Tango" tells of two male penguins that fall in love and desperately want to have a baby. Since they biologically can't, they become very discouraged. The zookeeper sees their struggles and decides to give them an egg that's been abandoned by its biological parents. They hatch the baby, name it Tango, and raise it like any "normal" penguin family. The message of the book is one of love and acceptance of LGBT families. The main ingredient that makes a family is love, and the two penguins love each other, and their child, very much. That's all that matters, and the author seamlessly portrays them as being just like any other family, teaching that families like theirs are more alike than different. Going back to my first point, the fact that these penguins really existed and the same exact thing happened makes the message even more endearing. It's told from third person, which I believe helps the readers see the bigger picture. The illustrations are appropriate and well done. I could see this being used as a really wholesome read aloud for young children, teaching them a big lesson - one that's relevant and necessary in today's society - in such a fun, simple way. ( )
  scorco2 | Dec 6, 2015 |
The story of a family that is different from others. I enjoyed this book although may be questionable in a classroom considering parent opinions.
  KassRuiz | Dec 3, 2015 |
This tradebook goes against the "social norm." Roy and Silo fell in love with each other. They were two boys interested in each other, instead of being interested in the other girls. They tried having a baby penguin like the others, and realized they couldn't. The zoo keeper gave them an egg to care for, and had a baby of their own. I loved this book because they were just like the other families. The illustrations looked like they were done with water color, giving the pictures a lifelike feel. I would use this book in an older classroom. I think if I used it in a younger classroom, I would get a lot of parent complaints. Unless if I talked to the principle about using this book, it would be hard for younger children to read in schools. ( )
  j.swancutt | Dec 2, 2015 |
Like so much children’s literature, the story here, because it occurs in the context of the animal kingdom, is a parable, and so it may prove less threatening to some who might be troubled by its human implications. (But only to people who have forgotten Aesop and La Fontaine!) What matters supremely is that Tango’s story is actually—like Heather’s—the story of a wanted child born to a set of parents who are devoted first to one another and then to him. Penguins, ahem, are black and white.

Richardson, Justinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parnell, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, HenryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Remin, KatarzynaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lita, for Lucy Jane, and for Maddy and Ben -- J. R. and P. P.
To Nate, and penguin lovers everywhere -- H. C.
In the middle of New York City there is a great big park called Central Park.
We'll call her Tango," Mr. Gramzay decided, "because it takes two to make a Tango."

In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

At New York City's Central Park Zoo, two male penguins fall in love and start a family by taking turns sitting on an abandoned egg until it hatches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,104,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible