And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson

And Tango Makes Three (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell

Member:ccbell
Title:And Tango Makes Three
Authors:Justin Richardson
Other authors:Peter Parnell
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Banned, K-5th grade, easy, same sex

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson (2005)

acceptance (13) adoption (40) alternative families (18) animals (90) banned (19) banned books (32) Central Park Zoo (19) children (31) children's (54) children's literature (31) controversial (12) diversity (29) Easy (16) family (152) fathers (13) fiction (40) gay (35) glbt (16) homosexuality (77) lgbt (23) LGBTQ (30) love (44) New York City (20) non-fiction (53) penguin (12) penguins (182) picture book (193) read (19) true story (25) zoo (85)

This book is about two male penguins who chose to be in relationship with one another. They act like all the male and female couples except they are not able to care for an egg. They are gifted an abandoned egg to care for. They do a great job keeping it safe and warm. When it hatches they raise the little girl penguin and are a happy little family. ( )
  azlanshae | Apr 22, 2014 |
“And Tango Makes Three” was a phenomenal book about family, and how no matter what type of family it is it can be a great one. I love that this story is based off of a true story. I this book allowed me to be pulled in for throughout the book it is never said that both penguins are male it is more implied. So this pulled me in to the book even more for at first I wasn’t sure as to why the two penguins couldn’t have their own egg. I also enjoyed the illustrations because they were very realistic with beautiful color. This pulled me into the book because it caused me to feel like I was at the zoo watching all of this happen. Not just reading a book. I also enjoyed that the illustrations weren’t full of bright vibrant colors because if it was I feel that it would have caused a distraction and pulled me away from the text. ( )
  KiTiraShorter | Apr 16, 2014 |
This book is about two male penguins who love each other and eventually get a baby penguin of their own. This main message of this story is about family. I really loved this story! One reason I really liked it was because even though it is a true story, it was written as a narrative. I thought that style was interesting and made the book more appealing. Another thing I really liked about the book was the author’s note that gave some of the information about the real penguins. I like when authors give factual information so that readers can connect the story to the real world. A third thing I really loved about this book was the story itself. Even though it was about penguins, to me it showed that homosexual relationships are natural and that they are not big deal and do not make a group of people any less of a family. ( )
  MelissaPatek | Apr 12, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book for a few reasons. I really enjoyed the plot of the book. I like how it talks about the penguins and how they like to spend time together, not making it seem like they are even in love, just more along the lines of being friends. It then talks about how the penguins obviously have feelings for each other, even though they are both males. Then the problem comes about when they realize they cannot have a baby because they are both male. However, I enjoyed how it worked out in the end and how they got a donation from another penguin so they could have a baby of their own. I thought it was a good plot to the story. I also liked how on certain pages, there were several illustrations. For example, the eggshell hatching. It showed how the egg changed overtime and how the egg began whole then began to crack and how the penguin came out at the end. I think the overall message is to show children that love does not have to be a female and a male. There may be some obstacles, but if its true love, nothing can break it apart. ( )
  jobend2 | Apr 8, 2014 |
“And Tango Makes Three” was a touching book that exposes children to gay parents without using actual people. What I liked most about this book was the main message, that although someone may be gay it does not make them any different. This message was expressed when the author describe how Roy and Silo did everything the same as the other straight penguins. Also in the book, the illustrations to show how Tango's egg cracked was pretty neat. It showed the reader over time that Tango was about to come into the world. ( )
  CatherineWillett | Apr 8, 2014 |
Like so much children’s literature, the story here, because it occurs in the context of the animal kingdom, is a parable, and so it may prove less threatening to some who might be troubled by its human implications. (But only to people who have forgotten Aesop and La Fontaine!) What matters supremely is that Tango’s story is actually—like Heather’s—the story of a wanted child born to a set of parents who are devoted first to one another and then to him. Penguins, ahem, are black and white.

Richardson, Justinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parnell, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, HenryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Lita, for Lucy Jane, and for Maddy and Ben -- J. R. and P. P.
To Nate, and penguin lovers everywhere -- H. C.
In the middle of New York City there is a great big park called Central Park.
We'll call her Tango," Mr. Gramzay decided, "because it takes two to make a Tango."

In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:29 -0400)

At New York City's Central Park Zoo, two male penguins fall in love and start a family by taking turns sitting on an abandoned egg until it hatches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,576,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible