And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson

And Tango Makes Three (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell

Member:ccbell
Title:And Tango Makes Three
Authors:Justin Richardson
Other authors:Peter Parnell
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Banned, K-5th grade, easy, same sex

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson (2005)

I loved this book as well. I don't see why we shouldn't read these types of books to our kids. It can help them with an acceptance of equality and that a family can come in different forms. What I love about it, is that this story is true. Although it may cause trouble with some parents because of the concept of two males loving each other, I would still want to show children that there will be families out there that are like these three penguins and that we shouldn't look at them as if they are an odd family. I think children are more understanding than adults. ( )
  Y-NhiVu | Nov 19, 2014 |
Read in the Curious George store, Harvard Square. This always pops up on Banned Books Week lists so I knew the title but hadn't read it. Now I have, and it's lovely! It takes two to make a Tango... ( )
  JennyArch | Nov 12, 2014 |
The story is about a penguin couple. Both penguins are males. The penguins want a baby and the zoo keeper makes sure they get one. I thought this story was in away educational. This story to me talks about acceptance and also gives kids insight. Not sure if I would share it with a classroom, if I did then maybe an older class. ( )
  TaylorRankins | Oct 30, 2014 |
Read on September 19, 2014

After years of seeing this one on the frequently challenged lists, I finally checked it out for Banned Books Week. The story of Roy and Silo is so sweet and it makes me want to go visit their little family at the zoo (upon Googling I've learned the two have consciously uncoupled).

Despite Roy and Silo's split, it's a great story to open up a conversation with kids about families that might be different from their own.

New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/24/nyregion/24penguins.html?_r=0 ( )
  melissarochelle | Oct 27, 2014 |
Summary: This book is about two male penguins named Roy and Silo who live at the zoo in New York. The zookeeper noticed that Roy and Silo spent a lot of time together rather than with female penguins. The two boy penguins even made a nest together and put a rock in it, in the hopes that it would turn into a baby. They both took turns sitting over it and protecting it, but nothing happened. Then one day, the zookeeper got an idea and took an egg that need to be cared for and placed it in Roy and Silo's nest. Again, they went through the same process of sitting and protecting it, until it eventually hatched and out came Tango. Roy and Silo took care of Tango for the rest of her life.

Review: I thought this book was very cute. It is a great way to show how families may not always be how one may believe they should be. For example, Roy and Silo are two male penguins who had a baby. Some children may be unfamiliar with this concept and this is a great way to introduce them. Therefore, I think the main message in this book is acceptance. The book pointed out that after Tango was born, many people would come in the zoo and watch the two fathers with her baby and they would clap and cheer for them. This shows that the people at the zoo were very accepting of the fact that it was two male penguins rather than a conventional family that would have a mom and a dad. Overall, I think this book is a great way to introduce this concept to younger children and to show them that it is important to accept others no matter what. ( )
1 vote jbaile14 | Oct 25, 2014 |
Like so much children’s literature, the story here, because it occurs in the context of the animal kingdom, is a parable, and so it may prove less threatening to some who might be troubled by its human implications. (But only to people who have forgotten Aesop and La Fontaine!) What matters supremely is that Tango’s story is actually—like Heather’s—the story of a wanted child born to a set of parents who are devoted first to one another and then to him. Penguins, ahem, are black and white.

Richardson, Justinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parnell, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, HenryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Lita, for Lucy Jane, and for Maddy and Ben -- J. R. and P. P.
To Nate, and penguin lovers everywhere -- H. C.
In the middle of New York City there is a great big park called Central Park.
We'll call her Tango," Mr. Gramzay decided, "because it takes two to make a Tango."

In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:29 -0400)

At New York City's Central Park Zoo, two male penguins fall in love and start a family by taking turns sitting on an abandoned egg until it hatches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,024,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible