And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson

And Tango Makes Three (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell

Member:ccbell
Title:And Tango Makes Three
Authors:Justin Richardson
Other authors:Peter Parnell
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Banned, K-5th grade, easy, same sex

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson (2005)

This book walks the reader through the real life love-story of two male penguins in the Central Park Zoo. The book discusses all of the different ways a loving family can look, and then talks about how the two penguins made their own family when the zoo keepers gave them a foster-egg of their own. The themes are love, family, human-animal compassion, and the strength in being different. I really connected with the way the book discussed different styles of families, as this is a really good way to broach the ways in which we are all different with students. ( )
  LeslieMuir | Mar 14, 2017 |
A sweet story reflecting a modern family made up of two penguin dads and a chick. This story is based on events that actually happened at the Central Park Zoo in New York City.
  annereid1 | Mar 5, 2017 |
This book is about two penguins who takes care of a loose egg until it hatches. Their desire for a family was the same. Which leads them to taking turns taking care of the egg and keeping it warm. The central message of the story that there are different types of family traditional and nontraditional, but they all need love. It also showed undivided attention and joy that makes a family special. ( )
  jwedderburn | Feb 16, 2017 |
In my opinion this is an amazing book. It takes place in the Central Park Zoos Penguin Exhibit. At first, I thought the book was going to be informational about Penguins. Although I was not completely wrong, since throughout the book, I did learn facts about how penguins mate and take care of their eggs, but the main idea of this book is about same gender relationships. I think that Richardson and Parnell did an amazing job connecting same gender relationships to two penguins wanting raise a family but both of them were males. The language was clear and descriptive and the illustrations enhanced the written words, making the story hard to put down. I really liked this book because it used penguins and how they mate to having feelings for the same sex and wanting to be just like everyone else. I also really enjoyed how the two penguins Roy and Silo received their egg. They were helped by the zookeeper, who noticed they were different and had feelings for each other and all they wanted was to have a family. I think it was a cute and easy read that will help people see that same sex okay and make light on an tough issue. I think this book is good because it is appropriate for low grade levels who may have two daddies or mommies and this could help them see they are normal. I would recommend this book to be read at any age level because it's never too early to instill gender equality and nontraditional family to children, especially in a cute and appropriate way! P.s. it was a true story which made me love it even more!!! ( )
  mscanl1 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Adorable children's book
I love it. So sweet. #loveislove even for penguins :) ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Like so much children’s literature, the story here, because it occurs in the context of the animal kingdom, is a parable, and so it may prove less threatening to some who might be troubled by its human implications. (But only to people who have forgotten Aesop and La Fontaine!) What matters supremely is that Tango’s story is actually—like Heather’s—the story of a wanted child born to a set of parents who are devoted first to one another and then to him. Penguins, ahem, are black and white.

Richardson, Justinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parnell, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, HenryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Remin, KatarzynaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lita, for Lucy Jane, and for Maddy and Ben -- J. R. and P. P.
To Nate, and penguin lovers everywhere -- H. C.
In the middle of New York City there is a great big park called Central Park.
We'll call her Tango," Mr. Gramzay decided, "because it takes two to make a Tango."

In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

At New York City's Central Park Zoo, two male penguins fall in love and start a family by taking turns sitting on an abandoned egg until it hatches.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,237,928 books! | Top bar: Always visible