And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson

And Tango Makes Three (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Justin Richardson, Peter Parnell

Title:And Tango Makes Three
Authors:Justin Richardson
Other authors:Peter Parnell
Info:Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (2005), Hardcover, 32 pages
Collections:Picture books
Tags:homosexuality, family, zoo, animals, love, caring

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson (2005)

I really liked this book. It's great that this book depicts a family with to males. I think it's important to help all children feel secure in their families. ( )
  glguerra | Nov 30, 2015 |
I'm going to be completely and brutally honest- if you believe that this book should be banned then you are homophobic, closed minded, and ignorant. This book was heart warming and endearing. If anything I think this book will help children that have two fathers or two mothers not to feel so different from those with "traditional" families. I read this to my daughter and she loved it. Yes she's only one and probably just liked the pictures of the penguins but whatever. It was beautiful. Young children barely question homosexuality and thats how it should be. Teach them to love one another, regardless of gender. ( )
  kesteves | Nov 24, 2015 |
I really didn't know how to feel about this book. It's clearly about homosexuality. I don't know if I would use this story in my classroom as a teacher, because children come from so many different homes and backgrounds. Some people still get mad with homosexuality. I don't have a problem with it. The message in the book that love comes from a family. It's a non-traditional family of three penguins. The two men couldn't have their own penguin egg, so the owner helped them form a family by giving them an egg that was hatched by another penguin who had another egg already.I liked the message about love and family. I don't know if enjoyed the story itself. I can see why this book would be challenged or banned. People are funny about homosexuality. I have guy friends who are gay. I don't see them as anything but my friends; human beings; people. They know that, but they also know that I don't fully understand it. It's not my place to judge anybody. ( )
  kcaffrey | Nov 21, 2015 |
I can't believe I had never actually read this before. It's a lovely story of a happy loving family. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Like so much children’s literature, the story here, because it occurs in the context of the animal kingdom, is a parable, and so it may prove less threatening to some who might be troubled by its human implications. (But only to people who have forgotten Aesop and La Fontaine!) What matters supremely is that Tango’s story is actually—like Heather’s—the story of a wanted child born to a set of parents who are devoted first to one another and then to him. Penguins, ahem, are black and white.

Richardson, Justinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Parnell, Petermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cole, HenryIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Remin, KatarzynaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lita, for Lucy Jane, and for Maddy and Ben -- J. R. and P. P.
To Nate, and penguin lovers everywhere -- H. C.
In the middle of New York City there is a great big park called Central Park.
We'll call her Tango," Mr. Gramzay decided, "because it takes two to make a Tango."

In the zoo there are all kinds of animal families. But Tango's family is not like any of the others.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:49 -0400)

At New York City's Central Park Zoo, two male penguins fall in love and start a family by taking turns sitting on an abandoned egg until it hatches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,958,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible